ColonelCommissar

Edge of Darkness OOC

I think the others are waiting till the final matter is resolved before posting their own responses. 

Correct. I'm a bit confused as to what the device looks like and does, so I'm hoping for a clarification before I post IC for Liaka.

Sorry, I am confused. What did our first check on the device determine? Does N97 need to do another knowledge underworld check since his first one was successful?

As I understand it the 4 threat meant that you mis identified the the device. 

Success on a check is success for the primary reason for the check (hit target, climb rope, know something, etc). The threat comes as a modifier to the knowledge/additional negative consequences, or in the case of a knowledge check it could be missing key information or additional information about it that may be false/partially true. This is where player knowledge has to be tempered as the character believes everything he remembers to likely be true. In this case I was assuming he know what where it was from, since he used the term used was "provenance" which would be its origin. Perhaps put there by Black Sun but made by someone else. That means we may need to take a look inside as well. I will roll that up but will wait until good time IC (if we take the time) to pull it apart.

Here is a quote from the knowledge skill section of AoR Core: (the symbols didn't copy well, so I put in brackets with the symbol information)

"Additional [success] represent the character recalling information or completing research with remarkable haste, while [advantage] may be spent to learn minor but possibly information about the subject. [triumph] may be spent to learn relevant, beneficial information concerning the subject, perhaps an understanding of a beast's particular weakness in the case of Knowledge (Xenology), or information concerning the familial strife between crime syndicates in the case of Knowledge (Underworld). [threat] may be spent by the GM to allow him to omit a vital detail about the subject at hand, while [displair] may be used to seed the character with misinformation and outright falsehoods."

Kymrel:

Since I was making this up I described it as a small black box with a few connections running into it.

(Setback removed from Gearhead talent)

Mechanics - Inspect black sun box: 1eA+3eP+1eB+3eD 4 successes, 3 threat

a--.pngp-s-s.pngp-s-a.pngp-s.pngb--.pngd-th-th.pngd-th.pngd-th.png

It seems N97 likes the threat. Will wait to post about opening it up until things move along a little bit. I don't want to rush things too fast.

Edited by dtdunn

My apologies for hijacking, guys and gals.

But an unknown listening device, in the briefing room, while we are about to interrogate a possible traitor is setting off too many warning flares.  Geoff will wait outside the cell for anyone else to catch up and compose himself.  Afterwards, he will go in and do a medical evaluation on Zavvel, as well as scan for any other devices and anomalies on or in the former captain.

Edited by Sarone

Sorry, I am confused. What did our first check on the device determine? Does N97 need to do another knowledge underworld check since his first one was successful?

As I understand it the 4 threat meant that you mis identified the the device. 

Success on a check is success for the primary reason for the check (hit target, climb rope, know something, etc). The threat comes as a modifier to the knowledge/additional negative consequences, or in the case of a knowledge check it could be missing key information or additional information about it that may be false/partially true. This is where player knowledge has to be tempered as the character believes everything he remembers to likely be true. In this case I was assuming he know what where it was from, since he used the term used was "provenance" which would be its origin. Perhaps put there by Black Sun but made by someone else. That means we may need to take a look inside as well. I will roll that up but will wait until good time IC (if we take the time) to pull it apart.

Well I understand the character believes everything he remembers to be likely true. I was just offering up a suggestion as to why we got two different responses. Having fewer success but more threats could reasonable lead a character to misidentify something. Or it's possible that upon scoring more success that Kixue was able to see something that made it clear that it only looked Black Sun. I'm not the GM though so I'm only making reasonable guess as to why there were two different kinds of answers from two different success. Maybe having more success but fewer overall threat leads Kixue to see things that N97 misses. 

Know-Underworld - black box: 4eA+3eD 1 success, 4 threat

a-a.pnga--.pnga-s.pnga-s.pngd-f-th.pngd-th-th.pngd-th-th.png

So he knows what it is, but also has some questionable additional info on it?

Here, the Success toldyou that it was an underworld gadget, and the threat was used to misdirect you.

Also Kixue will examine the box too. Looks like he can identify it but sadly also rolled some threats. Hmmmm would it be possible to recall or look up (using files he keeps on his data pad of course) reports on Black Sun operations in that area? A Know Underworld check I imagine. 

Know: Underworld Check to Examine Black Box: 3eA+3eD 3 successes, 2 threat
a-s.pnga-s-s.pnga-a-a.pngd-th.pngd-th.pngd-th-th.png

http://orokos.com/roll/426447

Here the Success allowed you to uncover additional information, but in the process of getting the device open it caused some damage

Since I was making this up I described it as a small black box with a few connections running into it.

(Setback removed from Gearhead talent)

Mechanics - Inspect black sun box: 1eA+3eP+1eB+3eD 4 successes, 3 threat

a--.pngp-s-s.pngp-s-a.pngp-s.pngb--.pngd-th-th.pngd-th.pngd-th.png

It seems N97 likes the threat. Will wait to post about opening it up until things move along a little bit. I don't want to rush things too fast.

The device is a small black box with many wires protruding from it, with which it linked into many separate power feeds to disguise its power drain. As for its purpose, the device is a combination receiver/transmitter for signals, that piggybacks onto local networks. It appears to be able at the very least to pick up on Imperial networks at least on a continental level, and to transmit over almost fifty miles within these mountains, with a longer range over direct line of sight.

You may want to wait for me to judge it in future - after all, you made an IC post introducing a completely new plot element before I'd even interpreted the roll. Not that I minded, of course, but just for future reference.

Zavvel's eyes are closed, but he is breathing deeply, meditatively even.

I'd like to flip a destiny as well, and Zabrak get an automatic Advantage on Coercion checks. (Must be the horns...)

Here goes nothing...

Well, this is interesting...

Coercion: 2eA+1eP+2eC+1eD 1 success, 2 threat, 1 Despair
a-a.pnga--.pngp-s-s.pngc-d.pngc-th-th.pngd-th.png

The auto advantage isn't factored in, so that knocks it down to 1 threat.

Success, but Despair.. always fun to interpret.  :o
Edited by Jaspor

So please help me understand this... So the Despair means I slip up during my response and reveal where he's being held?

The threat is the Setback on the next roll?

Where does the actual success factor in?

Well it's funny you should find something...

Formidable Mechanics check of Hard Knowledge (Underworld) check to determine the provenance of the device. You can have a Boost on the first check during the interrogation (one advantage) and get a floating ability upgrade (three advantages).

Remember to use these during the interrogation 

I'd like to flip a destiny as well, and Zabrak get an automatic Advantage on Coercion checks. (Must be the horns...)

Here goes nothing...

Well, this is interesting...

Coercion: 2eA+1eP+2eC+1eD 1 success, 2 threat, 1 Despair
a-a.pnga--.pngp-s-s.pngc-d.pngc-th-th.pngd-th.png

The auto advantage isn't factored in, so that knocks it down to 1 threat.

Success, but Despair.. always fun to interpret.  :o

In your response, you reveal to Zavvel where you are. In addition, his nonchalant attitude indicates that for now he isn't talking - there's a Setback to the next check of any PC.

So please help me understand this... So the Despair means I slip up during my response and reveal where he's being held?

The threat is the Setback on the next roll?

Where does the actual success factor in?

Sorry, I should have clarified those. Correct on the Despair and Threat; the Success is that he's willing to at least talk to you - you have to ask him some questions now.

Well it's funny you should find something...

Formidable Mechanics check of Hard Knowledge (Underworld) check to determine the provenance of the device. You can have a Boost on the first check during the interrogation (one advantage) and get a floating ability upgrade (three advantages).

Remember to use these during the interrogation 

From the looks of it, Jaspor just needs to roll one Boost, since he started the interrogation.  In addition, if he wants, he can also roll the floater as well.

Okay, so no Destiny this time changes the roll a bit.. A boost from the assist, a boost from the previous set of mechanics checks, a setback from the last coercion's threat, and...

Coercion, question time: 3eA+2eB+2eD+1eC+1eS 2 successes, 3 threat
a-a.pnga-s.pnga-s-s.pngb-a.pngb-s.pngd-f-th.pngd-th-th.pngc-f-th.pngs-th.png

The auto Zabrak advantage again knocks that down to 2 successes, 2 threats.

Okay, so no Destiny this time changes the roll a bit.. A boost from the assist, a boost from the previous set of mechanics checks, a setback from the last coercion's threat, and...

Coercion, question time: 3eA+2eB+2eD+1eC+1eS 2 successes, 3 threat
a-a.pnga-s.pnga-s-s.pngb-a.pngb-s.pngd-f-th.pngd-th-th.pngc-f-th.pngs-th.png

The auto Zabrak advantage again knocks that down to 2 successes, 2 threats.

Setback on the next interrogation check due to Zavvel's renewed resolve.

How big is the cell anyway? I want to know if all of us can fit in there so I can figure out how Kixue can best help (likely will try to use Influence to get him talking).

The cell is a hundred and fifty strong.