Sign in to follow this  
Viceroy Bolda

What to do with extra ships?

Seriously, broaden your play style form the stultifying and dull 100/6 (if played exclusively)

As others have said, play epic, play cinematic...   play scenarios where the extra ships come on as re-enforcements from a neutral edge or whatever after a given time or if a crit is rolled at the start of the turn...

Or just use them for variety

I've got about 10 tie interceptors and in a 100 point game sometimes i'll use the three red ones, sometimes i'll use the blood stripes, sometimes the plain greys...  or mix em up.

There is soooo much more to xwing than 100 point kill em all games in an ateroid field with 'meta' lists

edit:   The new ships to me are a different time frame, i play mostly narrative games.   Putting FO Ties alongside regular ones or the new xwing in a squad of T65s would be to me like putting a spitfire in a flight of WWI bi planes :)

Edited by Gadge

I have 8 regular Ties currently, that means I can fill out FOUR GOZANTIs!! :) Im sure Ill own at least three by the time Im done! I see the FOs as completely different ships now that I have the new Core and will get a second core shortly. I will then buy at least one expansion of each ship so Ill have at least three T-70s and five FOs. Since four and six are able to be run together in a 100 pt build and 7 and 8 respectively in 150 pt builds, Ill be buying more! LOL!

Hence, I dont see any "extra" in my future, just a need for more!

Mmmm... Gozanti.

Too much talk, not enough pictures. I shall fix.image_c5bf105d.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1920%

Naw ain't that cute, the mummy ship is carrying baby Tie's

If you like throwing out your money, so be it. But this is exactly why i thought it was silly for people to buy 3 core sets and even more expansions.

You spent 30 bucks on an extra set of dice and cardboard templates. Congratulations :P

People are impatient and now sit there with 20 xwings, 30 TIE FFighters. People love blowing money apparently.

I disagreed with multi cores back then just like i do now. "The value is there!" everyone said. Sorry but having 10 ships you never use is not value.

I buy ships based on the quantity of models I want. I have a weird desire of having the small ships in quantities of 3 or 4. I look at my 8 Interceptors, 4 regular and 2 of the Aces, and I am barely resisting the urge to get 2 more Aces packs, to have a nice set of 4 of each paint scheme, and bring me up to a nice even squadron. 

But then, I am feeling the urge to get 2 Gozanti's. Not so much for Epic or the TIE paint scheme, but because I want two to display different versions of carrying TIEs (I think I'm going to love the whitewalled Gozanti, carrying TIE/FOs). 

I buy ships based on the quantity of models I want. I have a weird desire of having the small ships in quantities of 3 or 4. I look at my 8 Interceptors, 4 regular and 2 of the Aces, and I am barely resisting the urge to get 2 more Aces packs, to have a nice set of 4 of each paint scheme, and bring me up to a nice even squadron. 

But then, I am feeling the urge to get 2 Gozanti's. Not so much for Epic or the TIE paint scheme, but because I want two to display different versions of carrying TIEs (I think I'm going to love the whitewalled Gozanti, carrying TIE/FOs). 

I tend to buy ships in two or four ship flights depending on cost.   I just think they look cooler with a 'wingman'

Large ships i tend to get one of, very cheap ships i get enough for a 'standard'  game then any extra for epics or repainting or scenarios.

I have a stupid amount of A wings and Interceptors as i like having the choice of the 'red' flight or the 'blue' with either :)

These arent the extra ships you're looking for... *waves hand*

DSCF8946_zps2lskw2sj.jpg

This game was so much fun, battle of endor (well part of) , a welcome change from 100 point death matchs and not an asteroid to be seen!

SOooo... a medium sized game tonight i see...

:lol:

Yeah,  :( I had most of the counts I needed before Aces, transport, CR-90, etc.  Now the Gozanti too.  I love some of the stuff like the repaints on the interceptor aces and of course the pilots and upgrades too.  I guess I have spares but I have definitely over bought.  Of course now I'm a little gun shy and maxing out at 1 or 2 expecting more expansions to follow.

I'll ended up with extra X-Wings, TIE L/n and TIE Interceptors, B-Wings and A-Wings I'd like to trade for a couple Alt Art Soontir  :lol:

As for playing Epic I was purchasing for that before the extra's came out, ouch.

If you like throwing out your money, so be it. But this is exactly why i thought it was silly for people to buy 3 core sets and even more expansions.

You spent 30 bucks on an extra set of dice and cardboard templates. Congratulations :P

People are impatient and now sit there with 20 xwings, 30 TIE FFighters. People love blowing money apparently.

I disagreed with multi cores back then just like i do now. "The value is there!" everyone said. Sorry but having 10 ships you never use is not value.

Yeah, and you've been flying your two x-wings and three ties while the rest of us have been playing epic games since wave 1.  

;)

Yeah, and you've been flying your two x-wings and three ties while the rest of us have been playing epic games since wave 1.  

;)

Forgive me. I didnt realize you needed 35 TIE fighters to play epic. There is this wonderful thing in this game called variety. You should try it sometime.

There is also something called 'middle ground'

You know like most of those with 'excessive' collections actually have maybe 8 xwings and 12 ties etc...

Like in my quite large 'endor' epic game i've got eight tie fighters (and not all academys) 7 tie interceptors, four bombers, 2 tie adv, a shuttle and few other things on a table.   Certainly far more than i'll ever need for standard play but at the same point not really into 'silly' territory.    I can't say having two more tie fighters with the new core set will tip the balance that way either as i'm unlikely to use FO ties with imperial ties, i'd rather build up full FO forces accurate to whatever we see in the films come the winter.

I don't think anyone would seriously buy 30 tie fighters unless you were buying them to repaint and sell on, i get its exaggeration for the purpose of getting the point across but when its sooo inflated a figure it loses it's impact so you're going to get equally entrenched counter points.

Edited by Gadge

I think if i were going to make debris fields i'd be tempted to press mold the parts using green stuff to make lots of wreckage out of one ship.    As its for personal use and not for resale and not a full component i think this is possibly legal, i know in the UK us wargamers somtimes do this to duplicate rare missing lead components from citadel kits.

I think its when you sell it you're in dubious legal waters

Press molding might be your friend here so you can 'clone' things like wings, engines etc etc.

Lots of tutorials on youtube.  I used it to replicate the carriage train/seat on a 1980s imperial laser destroyer for 40k.  I had two but one was missing this small but important component so i press molded a second using green stuff.

Press molding might be your friend here so you can 'clone' things like wings, engines etc etc.

Lots of tutorials on youtube.  I used it to replicate the carriage train/seat on a 1980s imperial laser destroyer for 40k.  I had two but one was missing this small but important component so i press molded a second using green stuff.

That's where you use that flexy setting plastic, press it over a bit, then when it sets use green stuff to cast right?

There is soooo much more to xwing than 100 point kill em all games in an ateroid field with 'meta' lists

edit:   The new ships to me are a different time frame, i play mostly narrative games.   Putting FO Ties alongside regular ones or the new xwing in a squad of T65s would be to me like putting a spitfire in a flight of WWI bi planes :)

The Fairey Swordfish, although being produced from the mid-'30s to mid-40's was a biplane that was difficult to replace until the late war. It put a hurt on the Bismarck, they were too slow and could fly to low to be effectively targeted, but were otherwise flying coffins.