Sign in to follow this  
FlightyBombJack

Looking for ideas for a TIE repaint

I was recently made aware of the non-uniformity of the Imperial fighter coloration, and I had the idea to try to repaint some to look slightly more blue, perhaps more in line with the upcoming assault carrier tie fighters, and closer in line with the other blue looking imperial ships.  This is what I am talking about: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/e6/10/e6106bf0-2277-4eae-8781-2dbe6faf61b0/tie-plastic.png

But I do not know the best place to start.  There is not a ton of difference, so I had the idea of maybe doing a blue wash of some kind.  But that might not be enough to cut it.  It might warrant repainting the entire thing from scratch, but if that is the case I am not entirely sure where to start.  I guess I am just looking for ideas on how to go about doing this.

I've painted my phantoms chassis grey, with a nuln oil wash, then highlighted with a grey/ white mix, 1:1... the effect looks really clean, especially with black panels and red cockpit. It doesn't stick out a million miles from the standard paintjob either, which is a plus! I'll try and take a decent shot tonight and post it, to see if it's of any use...

I think the easiest would be to apply thin layers of blue wash repeatedly until you get the colour you want.

The shading on TIE's is decent, and it's already grey which is the perfect starting point for blue washes.

If I can find my GW blue wash, I'll give it a shot and get back to you.