Sign in to follow this  
Firespray-32

SLAM Resolved

If you have to choose a maneuver on the dial, what is the difference?  If I announce that I am going to perform a SLAM action after executing a speed 2 maneuver, would you, as my opponent, want me to actually set a dial to keep me from farting around with three different templates until I find one I like?  I think they blew it.

If you have to choose a maneuver on the dial, what is the difference?  If I announce that I am going to perform a SLAM action after executing a speed 2 maneuver, would you, as my opponent, want me to actually set a dial to keep me from farting around with three different templates until I find one I like?  I think they blew it.

It has to be on the ship's dial.  It can't just say "choose a maneuver" because then you could pick anything you have a template for.

And if you asked a question about it before buying them you would of been told that we weren't sure how it worked, but the article seemed wrong.

So you're saying I should base my purchases on the guesswork of a forum rather than officially released information from the publisher?  OK then.

That is why I used a speed 2 maneuver as an example, it has all three.  I felt the rules were clean before.  Now they have sent the SLAM action into the Cluster Missile cluster, as well as make it near worthless.

What's the "Cluster Missile cluster"? 

And if you asked a question about it before buying them you would of been told that we weren't sure how it worked, but the article seemed wrong.

So you're saying I should base my purchases on the guesswork of a forum rather than officially released information from the publisher?  OK then.

No, but you should have looked at the actual rules text, which has never supported the interpretation the article used. The rules and the article couldn't both have been right. 

the guesswork of a forum rather than officially released information from the publisher?

Considering we were right, and FFG articles have a history of getting the rules wrong. Yes I think you should. You would of least knew there was a question about it and could of waited until it was cleared up.

That is why I used a speed 2 maneuver as an example, it has all three.  I felt the rules were clean before.  Now they have sent the SLAM action into the Cluster Missile cluster, as well as make it near worthless.

It's a disappointment, for sure, as I was looking forward to dropping bombs and running away like a jerk.  There have been other decisions they've made as well that I've disagreed with, but we don't make the rules.  

Not seeing the issue.

Seriously?  The official site put up an article that mentions the ability to do something that has since been said to be illegal within the game.  Not seeing how you don't see the issue.

Not seeing the issue.

Seriously?  The official site put up an article that mentions the ability to do something that has since been said to be illegal within the game.  Not seeing how you don't see the issue.

I mean, there is definitely an issue. That issue is that I can't remember the last time we had a preview or announcement article without an error in it, and this was a big one.

But it was a big error precisely because it contradicted the rules. It was pointed out almost immediately here and elsewhere that it wasn't possible to square the rules with the text (and illustration!) in the article. And then a lot of people optimistically assumed that the rules were wrong, and now feel betrayed.

And my response to that is--yeah, absolutely I understand why you're annoyed. But be annoyed with FFG because there's a huge and obvious disconnect between the marketing folks and the people who actually work on the game! Don't be annoyed with FFG because you treated a 50/50 proposition as a sure thing.

I mean, there is definitely an issue. That issue is that I can't remember the last time we had a preview or announcement article without an error in it, and this was a big one.

But it was a big error precisely because it contradicted the rules. It was pointed out almost immediately here and elsewhere that it wasn't possible to square the rules with the text (and illustration!) in the article. And then a lot of people optimistically assumed that the rules were wrong, and now feel betrayed.

And my response to that is--yeah, absolutely I understand why you're annoyed. But be annoyed with FFG because there's a huge and obvious disconnect between the marketing folks and the people who actually work on the game! Don't be annoyed with FFG because you treated a 50/50 proposition as a sure thing.

Right, and I understand that now but I wasn't aware that this is apparently a common occurrence for this company.  Also, I wasn't explicitly aware that it contradicted the rules.  Sure the card doesn't say "reveal," but considering the article showed it to be ok I figured it wasn't an issue.  They've clearly overlooked the wording of cards in the past, so it's not inconceivable to think that it happened here.  I'm still going to use the ship, and it's going to be fun, but I was intrigued by the idea of having more flexibility for dropping bombs.  They gave the Punisher the ability to drop it in front of the ship, so dropping it before a second maneuver seemed completely plausible.  

Edited by Goldfoot

Well, think of it as the Rebel version of the cloak nerf!

And don't act like you didn't buy it just for the twin laser turret cards anyway!

Edited by Vulf

This is some ****. So Miranda will never carry a bomb again and Conner nets are too goddamn effing confusing to use. Good job waiting until people bought multiple K's FFG, this is the first time I've felt hoodwinked by you.

I am surprised by all the anger and confusion here.

The Conner Net ruling isn't all that confusing and we have known how the RULES say SLAM and bombs should work for 6+ months. SLAMing a bomb was only ever a "Wow, this might be even better than we thought it was"

Edited by Forgottenlore

I am surprised by all the anger and confusion here.

The Conner Net ruling isn't all that confusing and we have known how the RULES say SLAM and bombs should work for 6+ months. SLAMing a bomb was only ever a "Wow, this might be even better than we thought it was"

Not every one knew this.  Sorry not every one is a forum warrior with multiple 1000 plus post accounts.  

I didn't know FFG screws up their articles all the time.

I never saw the Slam reference card until last week.  --OK this part is ignorant, must have seen it with the article, but didn't think much of it because what the article says.

But seriously why doesn't FFG correct their articles either before publishing it or after.  Once the mistake has been discovered they need to fix it.

Edited by TheBlueMax

FFG have had months to correct the article where they show the k-wing dropping bombs not once but twice in the same article. The article was amended at least once, when they changed the slam maneuver from a 3-turn to a 3-bank.

So, sincerely, I cannot admit other scenario than Frank answering in that mail that with the rules as written, indeed we cannot do what the rules as intended were meant to allow us doing. But it would be highly hypocritical from FFG to leave that article there for months if they weren't planning to fix the RAW in an upcoming FAQ.

Edited by Azrapse

Unless the designers didn't know. It's fairly clear the articles are neither written by the designers nor it seems checked over by them, hence Lightning Reflexes Graz, Cloaking Howlrunner, bombing in the middle of a SLAM, et cetera. It's likely whoever wrote the article forgot the rules for bombs rather than the rules for SLAM.

It's not a case of the article says one thing and the designers are now saying another, it's a case of the article contradicting itself (showing mid-SLAM bombing and the rules card saying nothing about mid-SLAM bombing side by side). Now they've ruled one way.

As for Conner Nets, they work exactly as the rules suggest they should.

Wait so i'm confused... So do I have drop my bomb before I SLAM? Or do I still move+ Drop bomb+ SLAM???

Ion Bombs, Proton Bombs and Seismic Charges all say "when you reveal your maneuver dial." SLAM simply executes a maneuver (like Daredevil), it doesn't reveal a dial.