Sign in to follow this  
Firespray-32

SLAM Resolved

Well that sucks.  The K-wing just became a lot less interesting.  Honestly, bombs just generally suck.  Mines and nets are cool.  Bombs kinda not.  Makes sense for rules as written but who the hell writes these articles?

SLAM and stress not a huge deal.  Execute maneuver includes the check stress step.  If you are stressed already then you can't take a SLAM action.  If you somehow end up with red on your k-wing dial (crit effect), then you can gain stress through the SLAM maneuver.

WUT

That is completely surprising. I was already on the fence about taking bombs on an ordinance K build. Now it's mines for sure. I'm not complaining, just really surprised by that. Wasn't that the whole point of the slam action?

Edited by TasteTheRainbow

Wow why the heck is that action on the heavy super bomber then... This marks the second instance of an email from Frank drastically nerfing something that made wave 7 good and it's beginning to feel like he's trolling us. (First is Connor net stuff)

literally only for A-SLAM now :(

on the bright side, the conner net ruling really isn't that big a deal

I've been playing tons with that assumed ionization kicking in the next turn from day 1, just to avoid confusion within the playerbase (less explaining = more games!)

it's still an absolute beast of an upgrade :lol:

Edited by ficklegreendice

What was up with Conner Net?

As for SLAM, it's still really useful for getting around the board quickly and for dropping mines on people.

It seemed from the reference card like you could drop nets on people to ion them that turn (ignoring their dial) if they hadn't activated yet. They can't do that and the action loss just doesn't affect ships that have already activated at all. It also in no way stops advanced sensors.

Yeah I'm curious about SLAM and the red - green maneuever thing as well.

It's completely resolved in the new rulebook. "Execute a maneuver" now includes checking stress, so if you choose a red maneuver when you SLAM, you get a stress token.

(You can't SLAM while stressed, so a green maneuver won't have an effect--but if you somehow could SLAM while stressed, a green maneuver would now remove a stress token.)

Just as a point for discussion (because I'm really not all that interested or invested either way), but if the ruling in the OP is truly the official word would this not constitute false advertising?

We had a couple of preview articles for the K-Wing, showing it dropping a bomb prior to performing a SLAM manuever.  In fact, it was specifically highlighted as a major point of the model and a unique feature.

I have no doubt quite a lot of people will have pre-ordered or bought a K-Wing on the basis that they would be able to perform this type of manuever; to now be told that they can't less than a week after receiving their purchase seems at best poor form, at worst completely misleading.

............and my K-Wing goes on ebay in 5, 4, 3, 2...

Seriously, how dumb is this? Its not like moving, SLAMing and bombing was going to break the Meta. The cheapest you could possibly do it is 25 points and that's on a naked Warden. After you drop the bomb you got a ORS in a small base.

Now you have to pay a two point tax on your Conner Nets, Cluster mines, & Proxs, if you want to be able to use them with SLAM.

:angry:  

Edited by Jo Jo

I also like the way the point about how SLAM interacts with red and green manuevers went completely unaddressed.

Yeah, I'm waiting for a FAQ.

It was addressed today as part of the new rules. Check Pilot Stress is part of Execute Maneuver now.

Incidentally, this is fairly good evidence that the designers don't write the preview articles.

No kiddin'! It already seemed obvious every time a suggested squadron list is in one of those ... they're always terrible lists that I can't imagine the designers ever recommending.

Incidentally, this is fairly good evidence that the designers don't write the preview articles.

Or read them...

"No kiddin'" to this, too. They really ought to read them, though.

So you can't drop a bomb then slam what's the dang point of kwing then

They have a ton of HP's, can carry a ton of ord, they make great bombers even without being able to drop something after a SLAM. They can carry TLT's... They're actually quite nice ships.

I won a tournament last weekend with a 2 K, 1 B wing list. They actually performed quite nicely.

Edited by VanorDM