Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

Resistance / Rebels upgrades being paired

So we know we can pair the resistance and the rebels... well at least we can pair the ships.   But when the day comes that we get a Resistance (Or first order for that matter) ship that has a CREW slot on it, will we be allowed to share upgrades? 

R2-D2 Crew for example.   R2 is in the new film, he exists during that timeframe, but if I'm looking at rules as written, that might mean that he must only be used on a REBEL ship and might be forbidden from being included on a Resistance ship, even if they are in the same build. 

I'd love to have the option of sharing crew or other upgrades that are faction specific, but I guess I just don't see it happening.   Unless there is some errata that says that an upgrade card is that is faction specific, is limited to that BUILD type rather than the ship type itself.  

R2-D2 crew does say Rebel Only on it.  According to the rules (as you stated):

You can pair your Resistance starships with those of the Rebel Alliance

This does not mean Resistance = Rebels.  I think you are on to something here.

Actually, resistance DOES equal rebels

Rulebook says

Rebels = rebellion + resistance

I really don't understand the desire/anxiety of making it more complex than it needs to be

Here's the long and short:

They're the SAME faction. They differ in name only

Edited by ficklegreendice

Both the Rebel Alliance and Resistance are "Rebel", while both the Galactic Empire and First Order are "Imperial".  The text in the rulebook says upgrade card limitations refer to the primary faction (Rebel, Imperial, Scum) rather than the subfaction.

Either it's a lame branding thing, or a holdover until Resistance and First Order have enough options to be independent.

Rulebook says

I really don't understand the desire/anxiety of making it more complex than it needs to be

He is correct!  Page 15 of the new "Learn to Play" book:

There are three primary factions in X-wing​: Rebel, Imperial, and Scum.  The Rebel primary faction consists of the Resistance and the Rebel Alliance.

So put R2-D2 crew on any Rebel ship your heart desires! 

Yes. Here's what the rule book says.

"There are three primary factions in the game; Rebel (the Rebel Alliance and The Resistance) Imperial (Galactic Empire and the First Order) and Scum (Scum and Villainy)"

So unless something says "Rebel Alliance only" then a Rebel Only upgrade would be usable on either of the Rebel ships.

Rulebook says

Actually you have given me the perfect reply.   I have only hastely read the new rulebook thus far and the subtle thing like Rebels vs Rebellion eluded me.   Thank you for your attention to detail!

Crisis Averted. 

Moving forward, I suppose they could make things Sub-Faction specific if they wanted to.  But it seems that the current faction specific upgrades are not, as I previously thought, sub-faction specific.   Whew!   Good good!

Yes. Here's what the rule book says.

"There are three primary factions in the game; Rebel (the Rebel Alliance and The Resistance) Imperial (Galactic Empire and the First Order) and Scum (Scum and Villainy)"

So unless something says "Rebel Alliance only" then a Rebel Only upgrade would be usable on either of the Rebel ships.

yupyup

I can actually see that coming in for the vaunted T-65 fix

for an arbitrary example, lets say FFG releases "X-wing is cool!" title. It's X-wing Only and it increases your hull by 1 for 0 points. Uh-oh! The T-70 X-wing can take it! T-70 broken!!!

Rebel Alliance Only

ah-ha! dodged a bullet there

Resistance, Rebellion, they're all just different words for Scum.

Rebel Scum*

Separate yet equally as bad as Scum and Villany

more organized scum in silly helmets and goofy orange jumpsuits...

Not the neighborhood friendly (occasionally) Scum.... Scummy scum...

Rulebook says

Well because a single ship is not enough to make its own faction.

Now as more Star Wars movies are released by Disney and more ships come from those movies you can count on there being more ships for the Resistance and New-Order sub-factions. Once those subfactions get to say a point of having 6+ ships then there might be a plan to make them separate factions, maybe even have an alliance wheel with ally restrictions.

Sample wheel (including prequel factions)

S&V<->CIS<->FO<->GE<->Rep<->RA<->Res<->S&V

Edited by Marinealver

So we know we can pair the resistance and the rebels... well at least we can pair the ships.   But when the day comes that we get a Resistance (Or first order for that matter) ship that has a CREW slot on it, will we be allowed to share upgrades? 

R2-D2 Crew for example.   R2 is in the new film, he exists during that timeframe, but if I'm looking at rules as written, that might mean that he must only be used on a REBEL ship and might be forbidden from being included on a Resistance ship, even if they are in the same build. 

I'd love to have the option of sharing crew or other upgrades that are faction specific, but I guess I just don't see it happening.   Unless there is some errata that says that an upgrade card is that is faction specific, is limited to that BUILD type rather than the ship type itself.  

If the Resistance couldn't use those upgrades they would also be invalid for all of the Rebel Alliance ships that you already own since both are sub-factions of the Rebel faction. 

Edited by WWHSD