Sign in to follow this  
nikk whyte

A thing from the core set I believe people have missed

BB-8 is a regular astromech droid. X wings will get an advanced sensor like ability to barrel roll, while still getting another action. This is the boost that regular x-wings and y-wings needed. E-wings get less mileage from it, as they already have access to adv sensors and barrel roll.

What say you? Barrel rolling x wings that can still punch, while clearing stress sounds pretty great.

the BB-8 trick has already been covered before

pair with PTL:

PTL off of the free roll, take a stress before you green, and the green to remove stress

tada!

btw Y-wings, blow with BB-8. 2 green maneuvers don't exactly make it the ideal bearer

it'll be good for the T-65 (yum PS 9 wedge, just beware of PWTs and TLTs) but it's optimal for the t-70

how come? boost and thrusters, my friends. You're simply far more maneuverable and have additional defensive if you decide to devote your normal actions to manuevering

Edited by ficklegreendice

the BB-8 trick has already been covered before

pair with PTL:

PTL off of the free roll, take a stress before you green, and the green to remove stress

tada!

And add EU for extra fun.  IE., that ability to reveal a green (say, bank-1 to the right) and then barrel roll EITHER direction first, PtL off that into a boost (left or right?), then execute the green maneuver to clear stress, and still get your action and end the turn unstressed?

Yeah, that pairs VERY nicely with high-skill pilots.  Wedge, for example, has nearly as much board control AFTER seeing his enemy's movements as the Phantoms did pre-nerf.

I think BB-8 is very interesting, but since its unique it is not a Fix for regular X-Wings. The ones that need help most are gemeric X-Wings and they dont get anything that we can foresee.

The T-70 is pretty good as far as i see, the only little thing is that at 24 points you cant play 4 with autothruster (which would have made them great instead of good).

But the standard T-65 STILL needs something. Maybe there will be i the new core set something we have not seen yet, but as of now, it seems that they just will let it where it is - unplayable!

Maybe I'm forgetting something but can't you do 2 ptls with this? Green, bb8, ptl, clear, normal action, ptl for 4 actions and 1 ending stress? I don't know what can use all of that but it seems interesting.

You could if PTL didn't say on the card that it can only be used once per round.

PTL is once per round.

The T-70 is pretty good as far as i see, the only little thing is that at 24 points you cant play 4 with autothruster (which would have made them great instead of good).

But you can fly 3 Blue Squadron Novices with Autothrusters and a Blue Squadron Pilot.

Edited by Blue Five

I think BB-8 is very interesting, but since its unique it is not a Fix for regular X-Wings. The ones that need help most are gemeric X-Wings and they dont get anything that we can foresee.

But the standard T-65 STILL needs something. Maybe there will be i the new core set something we have not seen yet, but as of now, it seems that they just will let it where it is - unplayable!

There's nothing in the new core set that wasn't on the Internet for at least a week before the set released other than the full text in the booklets.

Keep in mind that we are all but certainly getting a standalone T-70 blister to follow up on this one, and it will likely (well, certainly) include more astromechs, as well.  Looking at how HUGE a buff BB-8 can be (dude is just insane) in the right build, it would not surprise me to see another named astromech in the standalone T-70 pack that also improves things a ton.  And that gives you at least 2 X-Wings that would be super-solid, which is a pretty good foundation for a list.  I'm okay with that as a 'fix'.

Maybe I'm forgetting something but can't you do 2 ptls with this? Green, bb8, ptl, clear, normal action, ptl for 4 actions and 1 ending stress? I don't know what can use all of that but it seems interesting.

You could if PTL didn't say on the card that it can only be used once per round.

I had a suspicion this was the case but didn't bother looking it up. Good to know.

Keep in mind that we are all but certainly getting a standalone T-70 blister to follow up on this one, and it will likely (well, certainly) include more astromechs, as well.  Looking at how HUGE a buff BB-8 can be (dude is just insane) in the right build, it would not surprise me to see another named astromech in the standalone T-70 pack that also improves things a ton.  And that gives you at least 2 X-Wings that would be super-solid, which is a pretty good foundation for a list.  I'm okay with that as a 'fix'.

No, a fixwould be if we get something that every X-Wing can play as non-unique, and that is universally useful to Generic pilots as well as Named. BB-8 is a good astromech but certainly not the droid we were looking for (yes intended xd)

Also something that gives a 2 point discount and is preferably not an astromech since astromechs clog up the slot and are the only real strength X-Wings have. Look at the Advanced. THAT is a fix. Just that the X-Wing would not need a 4 point but rather a 2 point discount on some acces to a new slot. This since a pretty wide agreement was in the forum that the X-Wing is as a whole 2 points overcosted or underperforming, as you like to see it. Since i can't imagine FFG just reducing the price and enabling 5-Ship squadrons, an Advanced-like fix would probably fit best.

I still hope the real fix will be hidden somewhere in the starter set or the T-70 expansion.

No, a fixwould be if we get something that every X-Wing can play as non-unique, and that is universally useful to Generic pilots as well as Named. BB-8 is a good astromech but certainly not the droid we were looking for (yes intended xd)

Also something that gives a 2 point discount and is preferably not an astromech since astromechs clog up the slot and are the only real strength X-Wings have. Look at the Advanced. THAT is a fix. Just that the X-Wing would not need a 4 point but rather a 2 point discount on some acces to a new slot. This since a pretty wide agreement was in the forum that the X-Wing is as a whole 2 points overcosted or underperforming, as you like to see it. Since i can't imagine FFG just reducing the price and enabling 5-Ship squadrons, an Advanced-like fix would probably fit best.

I still hope the real fix will be hidden somewhere in the starter set or the T-70 expansion.

X wing T65 could use a title with -4 poitns cost for an additional modification.  Addign EU for free and then putting on autothrusters would go a long way to making it viable.  Add bb8 for free barrel roll and it could work to bring wedge and luke back to the table competitively like Vader and the advanced.

I think the other thing to consider is that we don't know yet if BB-8's ability is going to be treated the same as Expert Handling. 

If it is, then while you'll get 3 actions (edit: with PTL), you'll still get stress.

If it isn't, happy days.

Cheers

Baaa

Edited by Baaa

I think the other thing to consider is that we don't know yet if BB-8's ability is going to be treated the same as Expert Handling. 

Huh? The BB-8 card doesn't say that you get stress if you use it without having the barrel-roll action. Expert Handling does.

If it is, then while you'll get 3 actions (edit: with PTL), you'll still get stress.

Because you are revealing a green maneuver with BB-8, if you trigger PTL off of that barrel-roll for an action you'll clear the stress after you complete your maneuver. The third action comes during your normal Perform Action step. You'll end the Action phase with no stress.

Hmm, 

I thought Expert Handling had been faqd so that ships without barrel roll that could use it, got stressed.

My bad.

Cheers

Baaa

Not a FAQ, that's the actual text of the card.  BB-8 has no such text.  :)

Not a FAQ, that's the actual text of the card.  BB-8 has no such text.  :)

Which is a fair point; but if I remember correctly (and I very well may be wrong again  :( ), Expert Handling was Faq'd to stop ships who didn't have an inbuilt barrel roll from gaining one?

But on the bright side, we now have the possibility of Barrel Rolling Warthogs.

Cheers

Baaa