Sign in to follow this  
karaokelove

Cybernetics? No thanks!

Don't forget D'harhan! (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/D'harhan)

1118550732harhanside1.jpg

"They threw away his head and replaced it with a gun."
"Hardly a gun—a laser emplacement patterned after the ones on an Alsakan battle cruiser. Liquid cooled, steam-vented, enough punch to penetrate the armor of a lightcruiser. They enhanced his shoulders, arms, legs, and spine with durasteel, to take the weight of the thing. And they added a tail of articulated metal, to brace against recoil."
―Balancesheet and Boba Fett on the enhancements done to D'harhan. Edited by karaokelove

In fact, there are quite a few canon examples of cybernetics I can think of.

Just a few that come to mind:

Anakin/Darth Vader

General Grievous

Count Vidian

Lobot

Luke

Cad Bane

Darth Maul

Wolffe

Ah, yes. I was just coming back to edit my last entry with some of these. But still...

General Grievous was very specialized and had a specific 'doctor' for his cybernetics. I don't think it was explained if this droid doctor was the only person capable of maintaining/repairing Grievous or not (it's been a while since I watched Clone Wars).

As for Darth Maul's 'transformation', that seemed more Sith Alchemy rather than pure cybernetics (as well as a 'magical' answer to "how do we bring this guy back after cutting him in half?" plot device). Not to say I didn't like the idea of a Sith Lord sustaining his own life through pure anger/hatred.

Cad Bane, fair enough, **** good example BTW and I'm annoyed with myself that I forgot the wide-brimmed hat wearing badass! :)

Forgot Wolffe as well (d'oh!). Would like to have seen 'Wolffe vision' to see if that eye did anything rather than look cool (no pun intended), thermal vision for example (though looking cool is still good enough). Again they might have covered this as well, really must watch Clone Wars again!

I think the concerns about ion weapons and cybernetics are a bit hyper inflated.  My previous point in regards to it being a called shot or use of Advantages and Triumphs to score a hit on the attachment is how I believe the fluff section of the cybernetics is worded.  It's worth noting that should someone firing that ion weapon at an organic fail to hit the attachment they get zilch for their effort as the weapon won't otherwise inflict any sort of damage to the organic target.  

This coupled with the fact you can use the same called shot or Ax3/T expenditure to inflict the exact same result on a limb with a blaster regardless, the rule makes no distinction between organic and cybernetic limbs, it's left to each table to deal with narratively in my eyes.

The devs included man portable ion weapons because of the iconic nature of them in the OT.  They didn't design an auto cripple stick against cyborgs imo.  They wrote some interesting fluff and at the end of the day made them a stunner for droids, that's all as far as my table goes.

I'd like to point out something that I didn't see anyone bring up in the thread so far.

Say you have a character with a cybernetic arm or leg. Now say his cyberlimb is "disabled", as the rules state. What exactly would that mean? That the character cannot stand upright? That his arm is hanging uselessly down? I don't think so. If you look at the Critical Injury table there are plenty of entries there that specify what happens when a limb becomes crippled, and it's all along the lines of "upgrade the difficulty of all checks involving this limb once". For the Critical Injury Blinded, which would apply to someone with cybernetic eyes, it says that all checks involving vision have their difficulty upgraded twice, while Perception and Vigilance checks have their difficulty upgraded three times.

In short, I think this would be less a case of "My character lies in a helpless puddle on the ground" and more a case of "my character has a hard time moving around but is still very much in the fight".

It depends. Luckily my GM isn't handling it this way, but according to the developer Q&A, if your character is hit with ion, all of your upgrades stop working. The book uses cybernetic legs as an example, and says that such a character would lose the ability to walk (and I imagine that's in addition to upgraded difficulty dice for other actions). So a character with 2 arms would be unable to fire a weapon, a character with eyes would suffer the standard "blinded" effect, and a character with all 3 would indeed be a helpless pile of expensive parts.

I'd like to point out something that I didn't see anyone bring up in the thread so far.

Say you have a character with a cybernetic arm or leg. Now say his cyberlimb is "disabled", as the rules state. What exactly would that mean? That the character cannot stand upright? That his arm is hanging uselessly down? I don't think so. If you look at the Critical Injury table there are plenty of entries there that specify what happens when a limb becomes crippled, and it's all along the lines of "upgrade the difficulty of all checks involving this limb once". For the Critical Injury Blinded, which would apply to someone with cybernetic eyes, it says that all checks involving vision have their difficulty upgraded twice, while Perception and Vigilance checks have their difficulty upgraded three times.

In short, I think this would be less a case of "My character lies in a helpless puddle on the ground" and more a case of "my character has a hard time moving around but is still very much in the fight".

I think this is up to the GM to decide.  The critical hits table would be a great place to start from, but IMO it's reasonable for the GM to assign more specific results as discussed above.  The amount of damage could also subjectively inform the severity of the penalty.

And why do people keep referring to the Gand as "Ganks".  Is that supposed to be a joke or something?

Ganks are a race outlined on pages 95-96 in the Lords of Nal Hutta book. They're have the following racial trait:

Cyborg: All Ganks are cyborgs, and each one often possesses several different cybernetic implants. A Gank begins play with up to two cybernetics that cost a total of $5,000. Ganks have a cybernetic implant cap of 3 plus their Brawn rating.

SWE11-species.png

(The guy next to the Hutt)

Edited by karaokelove

Well, TIL...

Ganks are a race outlined on pages 95-96 in the Lords of Nal Hutta book. They're have the following racial trait:

Cyborg: All Ganks are cyborgs, and each one often possesses several different cybernetic implants. A Gank begins play with up to two cybernetics that cost a total of $5,000. Ganks have a cybernetic implant cap of 3 plus their Brawn rating.

SWE11-species.png

My bad.

Well, TIL...

SWE11-species.png

My bad.

HAHAHA, this made my day! 

Pheww, you mean you don't know every Star Track alien out there!!! HAHAHA :P

HAHAHA, this made my day! 

Pheww, you mean you don't know every Star Track alien out there!!! HAHAHA :P

LOL. Yeah, I usually consider myself pretty savvy when it comes to Star Wars minutiae.   I was about to post a [Facepalm] for the EU tool who came up with the concept, and then I looked them up in wookieepedia:

"The Ganks date to the second draft of the script for Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, ..."

Well, I can't really gripe about that, can I?  So it's just my bad.  :)

Just some ideas...

Spend 2 advantage to activate the ion effect on a hit (each activation could shut down one cybernetic implant).

Allow target to take an action to "reboot" the gear (make a resilience roll with a decently high difficulty that includes at least 1 challenge die, despair means that the implant cannot be reactivated until after the encounter).

Allow target to flip a Destiny point to "reboot" an implant.

I think there are a lot of levers in game you can use to smooth this out for your game.

If they all have ion weapons, then just hide the droid and stand triumphantly in the open and mow them down with the rest of the group since Ion weapons are nigh-useless against organics.

Unless they’re using T7 Ion Disruptors, or the equivalent.

In which case, you are well and truly screwed.

Sure, but then you just run away and report them to the authorities since those are not only exceedingly rare but also extremely illegal :D

(And if there are no authorities, you report them to the biggest crime boss in the area since those very rare weapons are so expensive that he'll probably send out a hit-squad to get them  :D )

As a GM i see this thread as a great resource for ideas on Rival and Nemesis Cyborg/Droids. I don't like the idea of a GM throwing an army carrying ion weapons at the party just to annoy the Players with Cybernetics.

But for a Lieutenant or BBEG to openly be a cyborg, and the party then go and spend hard earned cash on ion weapons just to be able to take it alive. That sounds like a great Narrative, gives the story more depth. Besides any way i can get them spending on things the don't actually need is great, keep them hungry for more!

Wouldn't the Hardened armor attachment cover this?

Hardened- Prevents deactivation of power armor by electromagnetic or ion weapons

I know it says it prevents the armor from deactivation, but you'd be wearing it, so wouldn't it protect your implants?

On 10/10/2018 at 9:57 PM, 2P51 said:

tumblr_noxez4PPmL1spqx0mo1_500.gif

It's kinda funny when it comes to forums... people tend to make a big deal out of someone necroing a thread, but then if they start a new thread on the same subject, they get scolded for not looking at old threads.

Make up ya minds, people! 

(Loved the Gif, though.)

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:20 AM, DaverWattra said:

Not sure it should be this easy to defeat Vader with an ion rifle.

Seeing that his life depends on his cybernetics, I think he would protect it against the most obviously thing endangering them. In the new comics he protected his amour against hacking, after someone did just that. So him putting protection against ion weapons should be a sure thing