Sign in to follow this  
Daeglan

Well Mythbusters is doing star wars again

Teaser says blaster go 130 to 135 mph...interesting

For a comparison, a bullet from a handgun is doing about 700 mph after about 50 yards of flight. And for shooting ships in space... that is pitiful given that these ships can supposedly go from Earth to the Moon in about 30 minutes (which means an average speed of 400,000mph).

While I find their testing kinda inadequate at times (understandably, since it's half commercial when it comes to these things), they always very entertaining :)

Truthfully, you're not seeing the bulk of their preliminary work on testing of the various myths.  Instead, we're getting more of a highlight reel, the stuff that the editors feel would make for "good television."

So their testing is quite adequate, it's just we don't see it because the people in charge feel the masses would find it boring.  And they're probably right in a number of cases.

Teaser says blaster go 130 to 135 mph...interesting

For a comparison, a bullet from a handgun is doing about 700 mph after about 50 yards of flight. And for shooting ships in space... that is pitiful given that these ships can supposedly go from Earth to the Moon in about 30 minutes (which means an average speed of 400,000mph).

But, then you have to consider that (from the movies at least) the space-weapon blasts seem to travel faster than the hand-held stuff, and the blasts are travelling at 400.000mph + 130mph :) 

Interesting episode. And yeah even at 130 MPH blasters are still not dodgeable at the range they tried. Would have been nice to see them do additional ranges. 

And yeah high ground is not an unbeatable position. 

Interesting episode. And yeah even at 130 MPH blasters are still not dodgeable at the range they tried. Would have been nice to see them do additional ranges. 

And yeah high ground is not an unbeatable position. 

Well, we already had proof of that in the movies, with Obi-Wan taking out Maul (who had the high ground) in TPM, though part of that was Maul (apparently) being caught off-guard and thus wasn't able to properly defend against Obi-Wan's attack.

In RotS, Obi-Wan was fully aware of what Anakin was going to do and was ready to counter it.  The whole "I have the high ground" was pretty much a warning as well as a plea for his friend to stand down.  Anakin being Anakin ignored it, and paid for his arrogance big-time.

Well, that was an idiotic episode and it started only about 30 seconds in when Adam made the idiotic statement about the heroes of the Star Wars movies "dodging" the blaster bolts. When they show the scenes from the movies, they clearly are doing no such thing. The bolts weren't on target to begin with.

Then came their "high ground" challenge. Given that the fight ended when any contact was made, high ground really doesn't help either of them when they're just randomly flailing about. Then they got some training and tried again. (loved that they couldn't keep straight whether the guy who trained them really did work on the Star Wars movies over 10 years ago or was just a protege of the guy that actually did). Again they tried, but in the end, they claimed it didn't help, but other than releasing the combined stats, they didn't release the stats for Jaime vs Adam... which might have shown if there was still a skill issue. And again, any contact ended the bout. So, all "high ground" did was reduce the available target space by the same amount for each of them (moving the head out of reach of one while making the feet out of reach of the other).

So, another show that was just smoke and mirrors and no real substance.

Wow.... being a sword fighter I did not see smoke and mirrors. I saw 2 untrained guys flailing about. Then with some training there was less flailing. But the results were what I expected. being higher does not confer any real advantage in the arena of swordsmanship. 

And as to the heroes dodging blasters. if you look closer they do do some dodging. mostly to get behind cover... What would have been more interesting is if they had included more ranges to see where dodging does start to be effective. And I agree the blasters are more often just not on target. I did find it interesting that the sword guy was able to deflect a couple shots. 

And why do you seem to think that being a protege and working on the movies are mutually exclusive? 

An okay episode, but past SW episodes were better.

Still it was nice to see the " real" Jedi on the show. I think he was able to block half the shots with his lightsaber. So I find it plausable that in the SW franchise elite troops of a galactic empire genetic grown trained clones of the top bounty hunter can not hit one rebel hero. Also Ob was Ob talking. The high ground was that he was still a jedi and An had fallen, just like when Ob told Luke his father was killed by a young Jedi named Darth Varder.

when Obi-Wan said he had the high ground he was speaking of the morale kind.

I kid of course but I dont have cable TV cause one or two shows doesnt justify the cost of the service so i hope its at least entertaining.

Edited by Tassedar

An okay episode, but past SW episodes were better.

Still it was nice to see the " real" Jedi on the show. I think he was able to block half the shots with his lightsaber. So I find it plausable that in the SW franchise elite troops of a galactic empire genetic grown trained clones of the top bounty hunter can not hit one rebel hero. Also Ob was Ob talking. The high ground was that he was still a jedi and An had fallen, just like when Ob told Luke his father was killed by a young Jedi named Darth Varder.

Then you have the guy from japan who can split an airsoft pellet mid flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzhs1Z8Rwnk

I think they should have had him try :)

Yeah, for hundreds of years there have been Japanese martial artists who have specialized in dodging arrows or cutting or catching them, and those same kinds of skills could certainly have been discovered again with regards to blaster bolts.

So, if you want to know if a Jedi could do those things, go find a Japanese master at these arts, and let him have a try.

Wow.... being a sword fighter I did not see smoke and mirrors. I saw 2 untrained guys flailing about. Then with some training there was less flailing. But the results were what I expected. being higher does not confer any real advantage in the arena of swordsmanship. 

And as to the heroes dodging blasters. if you look closer they do do some dodging. mostly to get behind cover... What would have been more interesting is if they had included more ranges to see where dodging does start to be effective. And I agree the blasters are more often just not on target. I did find it interesting that the sword guy was able to deflect a couple shots. 

And why do you seem to think that being a protege and working on the movies are mutually exclusive? 

The smoke and mirrors statement was about the episode as a whole. The first part, less than 30 seconds in, was a complete strawman argument for a "myth" to be busted. Namely that the heroes "dodged" the blaster shots, as opposed to what the actors really did which was to take cover from the troopers that were aiming at them in a poor rendition of what real troops would do when someone starts shooting. You duck down, don't move in predictable ways and do your best to get something between you and the shooter. You can't dodge a bullet; You can spoil the aim point of the shooter by not being where he is aiming at. Their second myth to try and bust wasn't even well tested. As I said, they counted contact anywhere on the body as the win for that person, even if it was down on the toe, so the higher ground wasn't really tested as it does change what parts of each person are in reach to the other, namely the lower ground person now can't reach the head and shoulders of the person on higher ground if the elevation is steep enough while the higher ground person loses access to the legs, which isn't as big of a deal. Second, they only showed the final total of low vs high ground and didn't break it down, which means some of that average could just be that one of them was slightly better after the training session over the other.

And to the last point, the narrator specified that the person was the protege to the guy who did the fighting choreography in the movies... then later in the same show didn't make that distinction, even though the narrator was talking about the same person. He doesn't look old enough to have been the choreographer of the movies from over a decade ago. So, while they may not be mutually exclusive, the narration did make them separate things.

And to the last point, the narrator specified that the person was the protege to the guy who did the fighting choreography in the movies... then later in the same show didn't make that distinction, even though the narrator was talking about the same person. He doesn't look old enough to have been the choreographer of the movies from over a decade ago. So, while they may not be mutually exclusive, the narration did make them separate things.

There is a lot more to choreography of fight scenes than just the choreographer.  Nick Galiard is the choreographer. But he has a whole team of people working with him. As he can't teach each person individually and get te job done in the time allotted. so you have people who you have been teaching help you teach the actors. People you can show what you want to have happen and that can show the actor and work with the actor. So that your time is used more efficiently. As I said he can both be a protege and work with the choreographer on the film. 

On topic: I concur 'busting' Star Wars is dumb

Quasi-on-topic: This show is still on the air?  I thought mythbusters got canceled...

Mythbusters was not cancelled and has never been in danger of it from what I can see. I always enjoy the show. The only flaw I see in the star wars episode is they really just asked the wrong question in regards to blasters. I did find it interesting that someone with a moderate amount of skill can deflect blasters. And it was interesting to learn how fast blaster bolts go. 

Probably the more useful question to ask would have been how hard is it to hit someone with a blaster under various conditions. It seemed like they confirmed what would happen in the hallway on the Tantive IV. But is it that storm troopers are bad shots or is it that hitting targets that are trying to be hard to hit is very very hard.