Sign in to follow this  
Toqtamish

Imperial Star Destroyer Preview

Yeah, it really looks like it was flipped around ! Exactly what I was thinking

Which is interesting, it means that the VSD is less susceptible to be flanked than the ISD. So it's a much more defensive ship than the ISD that seems to be all about offense and maneuvering.

One thing to mitigate though, is the fact that the ISD's rear arc is comparatively less "long" on the side of the card.

The VSD is going to have to step up its game ! Right now it's only saving grace is that it's 33% cheaper than the ISD :P

Home one to cost about 118 for the expensive version and 105 or so for the cheaper.

Is that from a source or just speculation? I'm inclined to think it would be more like 105 and 95 based on what we've seen this far. Then again, I think we'll see the Mon cals as speed 2. That would make a large difference in point values.

Overall,t his is really what I think we all wanted to see...

9 Pages of Back and Forth in 7 hours...  Discussing something new, rather than going through the backwards and forwards of arguing wether we'll get anything from Sep 4 showings...

Keep it up!

Do you guys think we'll get anything on September 4 ? :D

On a more serious note, this release is so exciting. It's going to change the game so much !

I'm pretty curious about the other cards they haven't shown. They seem very squadron oriented too, like "Wing... (Commander ?)". I'm not even sure it's Wing, but I don't think that there is any other naval term that starts with Wi.

Overall,t his is really what I think we all wanted to see...

9 Pages of Back and Forth in 7 hours...  Discussing something new, rather than going through the backwards and forwards of arguing wether we'll get anything from Sep 4 showings...

Keep it up!

Spoilers soothe my soul.  It stinks being kept in the dark(even if it had to be that way) about a game you are so passionate about.  This plus the Massing at Sullust are great, because even if I still have to wait, and least I know something.

the ISD will be in a strange place. Its amazingness is competing with its size and mammoth cost. Essentially, it embodies the anti-"meta" in that it's less ships and more into less activations

For example, the ISD-2 is perhaps the single greatest enabler of the rhymer ball and not because it has any squadron support. It's just, as I brought up before, the bastard can toss out 12 dice out of one arc with a squadron command. The big advantage of the squadron command, throwing fistfuls of dice in a single activation before the enemy can react, can really come into play here

just hope it's as durable as it is big, and not super prone to getting focused down

If it's not focused down, it's going to stick in there. It has a total of 23 hit points on all the shields, compared to a Victory that has 18 and a Glad 13. Plus, it has Speed 3, meaning that it can afford to be elusive and fly off if the opponent damages it too much.

Corvettes flying by at speed 4 and overshoot him won't get to shoot at it for much longer.

No titles cards for the ISD that buff squadrons. And, the VSD remains better cost per squadron activation meaning that the VSDs should remain the Imperial carrier in most circumstances.

The VSD 1 is indeed the carrier of choice when it comes to points per squadrons. That said, the difference between the ISD and the VSD is only 2-3 points per squadron, and the ISD is about 10% more expensive.

Due to the speed and better AF Barrage it's also better to support the squadrons than the VSD.

whether or not the VSD remains the official carrier depends entirely on what you want out of a carrier

me? I want enemy **** to die. If that's ships, I'm taking the ISD-2. Bombers don't need any support apart from rhymer, and those 8 dice at those ranges are pure sex.

If I want enemy squadrons to die, I'm taking the controllers + hangars VSD-1. It doesn't have the combined punch of the ISD-2, but it doesn't have to because FC will contribute more than enough.

If I'm running crazy excessive squadrons, then I'll probably need more VSDs than ISDs

Edited by ficklegreendice

An ISD 1 with Expanded Hanger Bay and a VSD 1 with Expanded Hanger Bay can activate11 squadrons a turn with Tarkin consistently. Add in the possibility that "Boosted Coms" let's you activate squadrons up to long range and you can have both on the ISD 1. . . I think the ISD 1 will surprise everyone in its capacity as the main fleet carrier.

Let's make sure I am not crazy. . .

Devastator and Vader's ability in conjuction.

The following works right?

So let's say your ISD 2 has 3 defense tokens discarded and 1 exhausted.

Now you activate Vader to let you reroll any number of dice discarding the last defense token.

Since this is like a concentrate fire token you can wait to reroll until the end of the modify step. (this is the iffy part but it makes sense)

Then you use Devastator to add 4 blue dice to the pool and roll those.

Next finish Vader's ability and reroll what you don't like.

An ISD 1 with Expanded Hanger Bay and a VSD 1 with Expanded Hanger Bay can activate11 squadrons a turn with Tarkin consistently. Add in the possibility that "Boosted Coms" let's you activate squadrons up to long range and you can have both on the ISD 1. . . I think the ISD 1 will surprise everyone in its capacity as the main fleet carrier.

Which, canonically speaking, was one of its secondary roles.

Now you activate Vader to let you reroll any number of dice discarding the last defense token.

Since this is like a concentrate fire token you can wait to reroll until the end of the modify step. (this is the iffy part but it makes sense)

Nope, you'd have to re-roll as soon as the token was spent; only afterwards could you trigger Devastator to add the dice.

Nope, you'd have to re-roll as soon as the token was spent; only afterwards could you trigger Devastator to add the dice.

remember that you spend the token and dial at the same time and then choose which order to do them at. These are both in the modify dice step. . . But each has to fully resolve first before the next effect is done. . . Hmmm

Heavy Turbolasers and Warlord are going to be a great match. 

And if ships with Contain show up a lot in tournaments, Dodonna will become less useful.  If you bring Dodonna you will want XX-9s to get around the Contain tokens.

Edited by shmitty

Hmmm

110 - ISD-1 (4 Squads)

005 - Expanded Hangers (+1 Squad)

0## - Boosted Signal (Long Range Activation)

010 - Admirla Chiraneau (Squads cant be tied down)

038 - Grand Moff Tarkin (+1 Squad token every turn)

009 - Tie Bomber [x5]

016 - Tie Bomber (Rhymer)

You have 6 Black dice Bombers that cant be tied down, can be activated at long range and have move 4 with medium attack range. Could be interesting with a second one running a similar outfit and just out right put 12 bombers on the field ignoring the enemy squads.

Edited by F0RGED

Hmmm

110 - ISD-1 (4 Squads)

009 - Tie Bomber [x5]

You have 6 Black dice Bombers that cant be tied down, can be activated at long range and have move 4 with medium attack range.

That is what. . . 224 without know what Boosted Coms is worth?

Hmmm

110 - ISD-1 (4 Squads)

009 - Tie Bomber [x5]

You have 6 Black dice Bombers that cant be tied down, can be activated at long range and have move 4 with medium attack range.

That is what. . . 224 without know what Boosted Coms is worth?

Well it would be

110 (2) - 220 ISD-1

005 (2) - 010 Expanded Hanger Bay

005 (2) - 010 Boosted Comms (5pts est)

010 (1) - 010 Admiral Chirneau

------------------------

250~ + commander flavor + 9(9) Tie Bomber +16 Rhymer = 365 + Commander with 10 Bombers

Ether way thats 50 pts of Squad hull to chew through and an ISD is not going to be an easy kill so to speak I believe.

Edited by F0RGED