Sign in to follow this  
Toqtamish

Imperial Star Destroyer Preview

Well, I'm going to get myself two of these bad boys. Other than the first version feeling rather mediocre compared to the second version, this ship set is just wow. Need multiples of those non-unique cards. Tractor beams alone are insane!

Yep, there go my paychecks... Good thing my girlfriend at least undersands my addiction, even if this isn't her cup of tea.

You get paid $70 a month? That's the cost of two Star Destroyers. 

Why should she have say in how you spend your paycheck? I don't understand how making a once-off purchase of ships constitutes an 'addiction.'

Now if you were buying a new ISD everytime one got wrecked on the table, yes... but buying two copies of a new wave? No.   

A.) I belive they are shipping for 49.99 each, so that's $99.98, not $70

B.) I have bills to pay, things to do, other financial commitments.

C.) Buying two won't break the bank

D.) We live together, and thus if one of us blows part of our budget it effects both of us. (Like I said, not really relevant here, but you should undersand why two people in a relationship MIGHT have a say in financial obligations that effect both parties)

C.) It was a joke AND I even said that she understood why I would want to get them, so once again not an issue.

:)

Why I feel like no one want to play the rebels no more........

The game went from uneaven to unfair......but what the hell bring it on....

Hope we soon see some jedi commanders that may balance all those great Imperial leaders.

Pretty sure all the Jedi commanders are dead as of the Galactic Civil War.

Ferus Olin survived Order 66 and formed an underground resistance and eventually met up with Obi-Wan Kenobi, he also helped track down other Jedi and had a base on the "Jedi asteroid" until it was destoryed 18 BBY some Jedi / Force Sensitive occupents:

- Garen Muln (Jedi Master)

- Ferus Olin

- Fy-Tor-Ana (Jedi Master)

- Ry-Gaul (Jedi Master & Senior Generalin the Grand Army of the Republic)

These were people who were trying to start a rebellion before the outbreak of the Galatic Civil War, thought there are at least 50+  survivors of Order 66. So, while it might not be cannon, there COULD be a Jedi survior who serves as an office on one of the ships, or even a commander. As long as there was some old Cannon to back it up, I'd have no issue with it, or even if they explained it in a convincing way.

There you go. Take that you Imperial villains....

You never know who gonna sneak up behind your fancy star destroyer....

I see Neb Bs being a lot less popular when ISDs come into play. It's Speed 3 and such defense that makes the difference.

Playing Neb Bs with a monster like that will really mean being smart about them.

It will take a lot of practice. JJ Juggernaut will have some fun there

Well, they'll have to be deployed last for sure now, with Corvettes acting as bait like today. Deploy a Nebulon B first and you might call it a Dead Neb :P

The Rebels are going to get some love. I'm pretty sure the MC80 will feel underwhelming compared to the ISD in terms of firepower and offensive upgrades, but I'm pretty sure it'll be made extra defensive. I'm hoping for 2 Defensive Retrofits on one :D 

I see Neb Bs being a lot less popular when ISDs come into play. It's Speed 3 and such defense that makes the difference.

Playing Neb Bs with a monster like that will really mean being smart about them.

It will take a lot of practice. JJ Juggernaut will have some fun there

Well, they'll have to be deployed last for sure now, with Corvettes acting as bait like today. Deploy a Nebulon B first and you might call it a Dead Neb :P

The Rebels are going to get some love. I'm pretty sure the MC80 will feel underwhelming compared to the ISD in terms of firepower and offensive upgrades, but I'm pretty sure it'll be made extra defensive. I'm hoping for 2 Defensive Retrofits on one :D

15 shields.

Revist the Vader Commander activation.

I'm stuck on how the Darth Vader Commander is supposed to function. I understand that the RRG clearly states that spend = exhaust / flip over, but the wording in the post FFG made makes me question their intent in the card wording...

While the Darth Vader command upgrade presents some important considerations about your defense tokens and their use in your strategy, it's not the only upgrade in the expansion in the set that plays to this theme. The Devastator title also explores the trade-in value of your defense tokens; for each defense token you discard, the Devastator title grants you an extra blue attack die while you're attacking from your front hull zone. Altogether, an Imperial II-class Star Destroyer equipped with the Devastator title could burn through its defense tokens early to fire as many as twelve dice from your front arc, eight of which would be blue. With a dice pool of that sort, you'd almost certainly be able to generate the accuracy you need to shut down your opponent's defense tokens, and Darth Vader could help you convert any extra accuracy results into hits or crits.

So here are my questions, numbered to the order of bolded text:

1.) Consideration on how we use defense tokens, and explicitly lists Vader is NOT the ONLY one in the set that has this theme. (Since the subject of this whole paragraph is the Devastator, and the Devastator clearly discards tokens, would that mean since Vader shares this "Theme" with the Devestator? Or is the theme simply using defense tokens in non-defense ways?

2.) The Devastator ALSO explores the traide-in value of defense tokens. Is this meant to say that "This too, in addition to Darth Vader, explores the trade-in value of your defense tokens," OR "This explores another way to use your defense tokens?"

3.) If you Discard your defense tokens to get extra blue dice on your roll, how could Vader then "spend/exhaust/flip" the defense token if it has been discarded? If Vader does discard defense tokens for re-rolls then I could see discarding the defense token activates both Vader and the Devastator abilities. 

I think #3 has the most sound reasoning as to why Vader would be discarding the token to re-roll especially when coupled with #1 and #2

What does everyone think? I'm not trying to argue with the RRG or the FAQ's - but the wording of their interaction in the post really added confusion to my understanding.

Revist the Vader Commander activation.

I'm stuck on how the Darth Vader Commander is supposed to function. I understand that the RRG clearly states that spend = exhaust / flip over, but the wording in the post FFG made makes me question their intent in the card wording...

While the Darth Vader command upgrade presents some important considerations about your defense tokens and their use in your strategy, it's not the only upgrade in the expansion in the set that plays to this theme. The Devastator title also explores the trade-in value of your defense tokens; for each defense token you discard, the Devastator title grants you an extra blue attack die while you're attacking from your front hull zone. Altogether, an Imperial II-class Star Destroyer equipped with the Devastator title could burn through its defense tokens early to fire as many as twelve dice from your front arc, eight of which would be blue. With a dice pool of that sort, you'd almost certainly be able to generate the accuracy you need to shut down your opponent's defense tokens, and Darth Vader could help you convert any extra accuracy results into hits or crits.

So here are my questions, numbered to the order of bolded text:

1.) Consideration on how we use defense tokens, and explicitly lists Vader is NOT the ONLY one in the set that has this theme. (Since the subject of this whole paragraph is the Devastator, and the Devastator clearly discards tokens, would that mean since Vader shares this "Theme" with the Devestator? Or is the theme simply using defense tokens in non-defense ways?

2.) The Devastator ALSO explores the traide-in value of defense tokens. Is this meant to say that "This too, in addition to Darth Vader, explores the trade-in value of your defense tokens," OR "This explores another way to use your defense tokens?"

3.) If you Discard your defense tokens to get extra blue dice on your roll, how could Vader then "spend/exhaust/flip" the defense token if it has been discarded? If Vader does discard defense tokens for re-rolls then I could see discarding the defense token activates both Vader and the Devastator abilities. 

I think #3 has the most sound reasoning as to why Vader would be discarding the token to re-roll especially when coupled with #1 and #2

What does everyone think? I'm not trying to argue with the RRG or the FAQ's - but the wording of their interaction in the post really added confusion to my understanding.

The Devastator does not discard defense tokens, it just gives you a bonus once you have done so.  Vader is what will let you discard them.

EDIT: To clarify, if you spend a defense token that is already exhausted, it is discarded.

Whenever the Devastator attacks with its front arc, you check to see if any defense tokens have been discarded from it over the entire game.  It rolls additional dice for each one.

Edited by Joker Two

Now I understand why admiral aka bar just straight up adds 2 red dice to your broadsides. Suddenly seems less of an issue.

Anyone have the picture of Akbar?

Nope, but from the FFG Here They Come article :

"Better yet, this Mon Calamari starship is even more powerful when flown under the command of Admiral Ackbar, who can add two red attack dice to any attack made by a starship that fires only from its left and right hull zones during its activation."

This thread reminds me of something..... Oh yeah, the VSD thread when the VSD was spoiled.

"It is so going to rock the Rebels, we are the Best!" How did that work out?

Seriously the ISD looks good but we haven't even seen the Home One yet, so save that chicken counting. Also the Tractor Beam is an upgrade Rebel ships can take too. So I am glad to see it also.

This thread reminds me of something..... Oh yeah, the VSD thread when the VSD was spoiled.

Seriously the ISD looks good but we haven't even seen the Home One yet, so save that chicken counting. Also the Tractor Beam is an upgrade Rebel ships can take too. So I am glad to see it also.

Salty? This is an insanly powerful ship, and I'm certian that when they release the info on the MC80 (probbaly next week) we'll all be just as excited to see the amazing stats and abilities it will have. Trust me, I don't want to bust out two of these ISD's just to end up shooting fish in a barrle, that's not fun. 

The Devastator does not discard defense tokens, it just gives you a bonus once you have done so.  Vader is what will let you discard them.

EDIT: To clarify, if you spend a defense token that is already exhausted, it is discarded.

Whenever the Devastator attacks with its front arc, you check to see if any defense tokens have been discarded from it over the entire game.  It rolls additional dice for each one.

See, that's how I read Vader too, others said he spends the token, IE flips it over to red and it will reset and the end of the round. The RRG says "spend" a defense token, when reffering to evades, braces, etc... during an attack. SO based on that wording, spend =/= discard.

The ability being so powerful would make me thing it did mean discard though.

One thing I've noticed that hasn't been mentionned in the article is the front firing arc of the ISD, at least it's angle. It's much narrower than a VSD's, so it's actually goning to be easier to avoid at medium range.

Whenever the Devastator attacks with its front arc, you check to see if any defense tokens have been discarded from it over the entire game.  It rolls additional dice for each one.

See, that's how I read Vader too, others said he spends the token, IE flips it over to red and it will reset and the end of the round. The RRG says "spend" a defense token, when reffering to evades, braces, etc... during an attack. SO based on that wording, spend =/= discard.

It's spending, aka using.

When you "spend" a green token, you exhaust it. When you "spend" an exhausted token, you discard it.

The focus of this expansion about token management has got me thinking that this is going to be the name of the game from now on.

Edited by MoffZen

Salty? This is an insanly powerful ship, and I'm certian that when they release the info on the MC80 (probbaly next week) we'll all be just as excited to see the amazing stats and abilities it will have. Trust me, I don't want to bust out two of these ISD's just to end up shooting fish in a barrle, that's not fun.

Oh, I am not saying the ship is weak but it's cost looks about right so you are paying for all that power. Darth Vader on an ISD II is a 156 points before upgrades. That's a big investment.

And when we see the Home One I expect the same thing, a good ship with a cost to match it.

Good on FFG, these actually look fun, are exciting and yet look balanced for their price.

He isn't agreeing with you, if you use Vader's ability to spend an already-exhausted token, it will be discarded. If it was not exhausted before, using Vader will just exhaust it. This lets you use Vader to power up Devastator more quickly if you want, but you don't have to discard tokens as long as you only spend unexhausted ones. 

What the card does, and what it was intended to do, is extremely clear. It spends a token. If they wanted it to discard a token they would have said so. 

Oh, I am not saying the ship is weak but it's cost looks about right so you are paying for all that power. Darth Vader on an ISD II is a 156 points before upgrades. That's a big investment.

And when we see the Home One I expect the same thing, a good ship with a cost to match it.

Good on FFG, these actually look fun, are exciting and yet look balanced for their price.

Yea, I play strickly Imperial, but I'm hoping you guys get a real good deal with that MC80

One thing I've noticed that hasn't been mentionned in the article is the front firing arc of the ISD, at least it's angle. It's much narrower than a VSD's, so it's actually goning to be easier to avoid at medium range.

Whenever the Devastator attacks with its front arc, you check to see if any defense tokens have been discarded from it over the entire game.  It rolls additional dice for each one.

It's spending, aka using.

When you "spend" a green token, you exhaust it. When you "spend" an exhausted token, you discard it.

The focus of this expansion about token management has got me thinking that this is going to be the name of the game from now on.

Ok, I guess that makes a lot more sense. You have to really weigh your options if you want to use those defense tokens for offense or defense.

As for the firing arc, are you sure it's smaller, looks proportionally equal.

Star_wars_ship_comp.png

Except, when you spend an exhausted defense token it is discarded

Home one to cost about 118 for the expensive version and 105 or so for the cheaper.

I'm still thinking 3 isd 1's with screed and a few upgrades is going to be pretty scary.

I'm actually excited to see what the mc30 will have to offer when all its upgrades are revealed. A possible swarm of those may be the rebel game changer.

Come on 5 MC30's list!

Though the T are speed 4 starting and have 11 shields so I expect them to be about 65 points.