Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Avi_dreader

URGENT: The Long Awaited FAQ is Nigh (post more questions here).

Recommended Posts

 Also, I just checked the FAQ, it's pretty clear to me that the intention of the martial arts Q/A was to indicate that you get the bonus from martial arts and a +1 hand item (I'm about 80% confident on this, but again, I'm doing this reading based on how people commonly misuse grammar and referents, so, I could easily be wrong :') since there are infinite varieties of potential grammatical distortion).  ::Sigh:: I can't wait for an updated FAQ...  I just hope I don't have to spend another day proofreading it...

The Lambeau ruling was just that she can't use her Third Eye hand for martial arts :') (i.e. that it's not a real hand).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think the Grapple/Shotgun ruling makes sense. Why should you get proportionally better at Shotgun when you know how to grapple (which is melee principally)? Allowing 1/3 of your dice to be doubles and allowing 4s to be successes is just nasty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tibs said:

 

I actually think the Grapple/Shotgun ruling makes sense. Why should you get proportionally better at Shotgun when you know how to grapple (which is melee principally)? Allowing 1/3 of your dice to be doubles and allowing 4s to be successes is just nasty.

 

 

It makes sense thematically, but so what?  I don't think cards should be errataed just to make sense thematically.  Most players don't want to have to keep a list of errata in their head just to keep track of badly worded cards.  Personally, the only time I like the use of errata is if it fixes a serious game imbalance.  Even though I give Jenny an extra item, and Bob an extra dollar, I still think it's ridiculous that a person should have to remember that (and I half-wish no errata was made for them at all).  Bleh...

Btw, the thematic argument against grapple giving you any combat boost could be extended to practically everything (i.e. what does wrestling skills have to do with your use of a carbine and magnum?)  So, please ;') let's not go there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I more enjoy it because if you allowed 5s to count as double, then you'd have to make a new rule for how Grapple worked with Wrestle, because it would be impossible to roll a 1. Either way you have to have a rule clarification: why not make it a universal one? Not to mention, this clears up the issue of, "if I roll a 6, does it become a 7? Is a 7 a success? Does 7 still work with Grapple?"

Plus, Wrestle works with a Carbine Rifle because when you push the gun the bullet goes faster.

:3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tibs said:

 

I more enjoy it because if you allowed 5s to count as double, then you'd have to make a new rule for how Grapple worked with Wrestle, because it would be impossible to roll a 1. Either way you have to have a rule clarification: why not make it a universal one? Not to mention, this clears up the issue of, "if I roll a 6, does it become a 7? Is a 7 a success? Does 7 still work with Grapple?"

Plus, Wrestle works with a Carbine Rifle because when you push the gun the bullet goes faster.

:3

 

 

No you wouldn't.  Wrestle just wouldn't function if your character had grapple.  That's how the card text would work as it's currently written, and that'd be fine with me ::shrug::

Maybe wrestle gives your guns a boost because you become so strong and fast, you can push the bullets in mid-air!  Or not.  Arkhamatrixhasyou.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 if you roll X dice for evade (sneak skill + any modifiers from gear etc) and add Y dice from clue tokens but still fail

if you then decide to use your Stealth skill card to reroll the evade check do you roll X dice, or X+Y dice?

also I'm assuming that the same answer applies to marksman, bravery and expert occultist and the like... but if not then please let me know 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you use some clues to add extra dice to the base pool you have and then use a skill to reroll the check, you reroll both the base pool and the extra dice, so X+Y in all cases

Q: How does a re-roll work? Can you re-roll only the
skill dice that you have before spending Clue tokens, or
can you re-roll all the dice you’ve rolled on a given
check, including the extra dice gained from spending
Clue tokens?
A: You re-roll all the dice you’ve rolled for the skill
check so far, so you can re-roll dice gained from spending
Clue tokens as long as you spend your Clue tokens
before using your re-roll.

[from the FAQ, Dunwich horror rules, pag 11]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JR sent a revised proto-FAQ today :') he says he'd like to present a final FAQ by the end of March ;') now, don't expect it to be done by exactly then because deadlines do have a tendency of slipping; however, assuming that's possible, let's have a last wave of obscure FAQ questions (anything that's come up recently and is unanswered) so we can forward them along.

 

I'll start this ball rolling with a few issues I want definite clarification for.

 

Does being delayed by a monster end combat with that monster or your entire phase?

Can a Summoning Glass be used even if you do not draw an encounter in Arkham Encounters (i.e. if you are in the street or Another World)?

Can clues be gained by any means during final combat?

Does the Ancient One awakening from more than twice the monster limit being on the board mean Arkham and its expansions, or just Arkham?

---

I believe we also have the question of if Shroud of Shadow is considered a sanity cost?

And, define "read."  re: minh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Sister Mary has lost her blessing and not yet passed her Personal Story, will she gain a blessing when Yig wakes up (e.g. gets curse from Yig, fails personal story and gains blessing instead)?  This falls under the larger category of applying personal stories at start of and during final combat - e.g Roland still gaining clues if he has passed his story before combat begins, etc.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we reach Devil reef with the Patrol Wagon or not? (don't rember whether this is in the previous version of the FAQ, but I definitely remember a discussion quite long at this regard, some times ago)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avi_dreader said:

Does being delayed by a monster end combat with that monster or your entire phase?

For the delay/monster question, to avoid confusion, you might want to rephrase: Does failing a combat or evade check against a Child of the Goat end the combat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tibs said:

Avi_dreader said:

 

Does being delayed by a monster end combat with that monster or your entire phase?

 

 

For the delay/monster question, to avoid confusion, you might want to rephrase: Does failing a combat or evade check against a Child of the Goat end the combat?

I intend to phrase it carefully in the final version ;') I'm just trying to make sure we get an updated list of questions (right now I'm on page 3 of the FAQ and have already written five pages of response ;'D)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ricedwlit said:

 

If Sister Mary has lost her blessing and not yet passed her Personal Story, will she gain a blessing when Yig wakes up (e.g. gets curse from Yig, fails personal story and gains blessing instead)?  This falls under the larger category of applying personal stories at start of and during final combat - e.g Roland still gaining clues if he has passed his story before combat begins, etc.

 

 

Personal stories, probably, since we have this card as precedent.

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Image:PsLilyChenFront.png

Still, we can ask for a definite line of clarification (I don't think they'd stop functioning or being counted for during final battle though).  But, yeah, it definitely can't hurt to ask :')

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Julia said:

Can we reach Devil reef with the Patrol Wagon or not? (don't rember whether this is in the previous version of the FAQ, but I definitely remember a discussion quite long at this regard, some times ago)

And make sure to add the related inquisition about LEAVING locations like Y'ha-nthlei and the Kingsport Head with the Patrol Wagon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never seemed to get an adequate response to this one:  Are there any notes on the timing of Zhar?  After what Mythos step do we attempt to roll doubles? (In other words: after the Gate is placed?  After the Gate, monster, and doom token are placed?  After the whole Mythos card is resolved?)  Once doubles are rolled, after what Mythos step of the original card do we resolve the next one?  (Same "other words": Am I resolving the entire second Mythos card before I finish resolving the first one?  Or not?)

There are a MULTITUDE of potential timing debacles that can occur without this making sense.  Throw in the Dark Druid and two sets of doubles, and I QUIT. enfadado.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the Monster Movement step of the Mythos Phase, when is Finn supposed to move (if allowed by his ability)?  Or does it make any difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Interesting note:  Flute of the Outer Gods does not require a horror check now.  You can just use it.  Cool :')

 

Another interesting note: first you fight monsters at a location, then you pick up clues.  That rarely comes up, but, now we have an official ruling for when it does.

 

Another interesting note:

"Q: When monsters that move to the "closest
investigator" are on a board with no
investigators, how do they move?
A: They move towards the Investigator with the lowest
Sneak value on any board. First player chooses if tied. "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avi_dreader said:

 Interesting note:  Flute of the Outer Gods does not require a horror check now.  You can just use it.  Cool :')

 

Would that apply to similar wording, such as on Bind Monster, or is it just the Flute?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brine said:

 

Avi_dreader said:

 

 Interesting note:  Flute of the Outer Gods does not require a horror check now.  You can just use it.  Cool :')

 

 

Would that apply to similar wording, such as on Bind Monster, or is it just the Flute?

 

 

I would think just the flute.  Bind monster is a two handed item.    Flute of the Outer Gods on the other hand has the text "before making a Combat check" and that's what leads to the confusion with it.  Evidently the intent is that horror checks are skipped.  There's no wording to indicate that Bind Monster has similar intent.  In my opinion.  I mean, combat check means combat check, but Flute of the Outer Gods was written weirdly, hence all the problems with it for so many years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, but I couldn't find the answers to:

1) How does "Warding of the Yellow Sign" work in the event of a monster surge? Do you subtract 1 or more monsters if there's a gate at the WYS location? Or you'll have the same amount of monsters from the surge, and cannot put any of them at WYS location?

2) Is the loss of sanity from reading tomes a cost or just a regular loss? What about the sanity loss from Powder of Ibn-Ghazi or Elder Signs? Can the Professor prevent such 'losses'?

3) Does the Bootlegger prevent discarding the one-time use items like Dynamite or Old Journal after using them? Would he be able to use Dynamite multiple times a turn?

4) Can the Spy pass her PS by trading in trophies for 2 clues?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avi_dreader said:

I would think just the flute. Flute of the Outer Gods on the other hand has the text "before making a Combat check" and that's what leads to the confusion with it. 

Hmm, somehow when I just read Bind Monster I thought it had those exact words. Looking at it now it says nothing of the sort. My mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mzonic said:

 

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, but I couldn't find the answers to:

1) How does "Warding of the Yellow Sign" work in the event of a monster surge? Do you subtract 1 or more monsters if there's a gate at the WYS location? Or you'll have the same amount of monsters from the surge, and cannot put any of them at WYS location?

2) Is the loss of sanity from reading tomes a cost or just a regular loss? What about the sanity loss from Powder of Ibn-Ghazi or Elder Signs? Can the Professor prevent such 'losses'?

3) Does the Bootlegger prevent discarding the one-time use items like Dynamite or Old Journal after using them? Would he be able to use Dynamite multiple times a turn?

4) Can the Spy pass her PS by trading in trophies for 2 clues?

Thanks!

 

 

re: 1 hah...  I was just writing a response to the 2nd attempt to answer that question ;') still no certainty.

re 2)tome sanity is a loss, it says loss.  Again, Ibn Ghazi and Elder Signs also say loss/lose.  That is the terminology of losses :')

re 3) no, it's lost we had an official ruling on that a while back, but I haven't gotten to the Innsmouth section of proto-FAQ v.2 so I'm not sure if it's in here.  You don't even need an official reading though, it's completely obvious.  Otherwise he could just buy a food and a whiskey and be invincible.  One of the location lets you just automatically buy one or both of those I believe— clearly that's absurd, therefore the ability could not have been intended to be used that way— but in addition to that, we got an offical ruling ;').

re 4) I doubt it very much— wouldn't that be wonderful and easy though :')  Special effects at locations are "instead of having an encounter" while Trish's text says, "during an encounter"  key word here, "instead" indicating that you didn't have an encounter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brine said:

Avi_dreader said:

 

I would think just the flute. Flute of the Outer Gods on the other hand has the text "before making a Combat check" and that's what leads to the confusion with it. 

 

 

Hmm, somehow when I just read Bind Monster I thought it had those exact words. Looking at it now it says nothing of the sort. My mistake.

No prob.  And now back to hell...  19 pages down...  7 to go...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...