Sign in to follow this  
Avi_dreader

URGENT: The Long Awaited FAQ is Nigh (post more questions here).

Avi_dreader said:

Um...  I would assume she wouldn't, but the truth is I have no idea.  I'd guess the intent was 2 clues from an encounter.  I'm not sure though.  Does anyone know of any parts in the rule books where combat in "a monster appears" is described as part of an encounter?

I think it's pretty clear. It's an encounter (draw an encounter card and all that) and it happens to be a battle with Warlock. Of course her personal story passes.

Yeah, I don't see what the issue would be. Why would a combat caused by an encounter be exempt from being counted as an encounter?

Now, if she dissected at the Science Building and got two clues, that wouldn't count, because of course Dissection operates "instead of" having an encounter.

cim said:

Well, that'll give time for the inevitable Lurker questions to be added.

I think FFG will want to include the new FAQ in the next big box expansion. So they're probably still on schedule gui%C3%B1o.gif

and that the next big box expansion won't need it's own FAQ.  If they're postponing the FAQ for Lurker questions then they'll postpone it for any upcoming expansion.  

With the 5+ investigator rules, does anyone know if there's an official ruling on what happens when you draw "A gate and a monster appears" as an encounter (I'd assume they're all changed to "two monsters")?

I've always treated "a gate (and monster) appears" exactly as a normal mythos card opening a gate, since all the other effects happen (such as Deep One Rising advancement). So I'd say two monsters, yes.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if those openings would count as gate bursts against Atlach-Nacha, since I'm not sure if a gate burst technically requires a mythos card to activate. After all, drawing a gate burst mythos card moves all flying monsters, and it would be unreasonable to think that you're supposed to move flying monsters during the Arkham Encounters phase.

jhaelen said:

cim said:

I think FFG will want to include the new FAQ in the next big box expansion. So they're probably still on schedule gui%C3%B1o.gif

If it keeps growing at this rate the next big box expansion will be the FAQ.

cim said:

jhaelen said:

cim said:

And if we include all of Avi's commentary, it will grow at an EXPONENTIAL rate!

;-D

Tibs said:

cim said:

jhaelen said:

cim said:

;-D

The commentary isn't meant to be incorporated into the FAQ, it's just justifications for the need for certain corrections :'P ;') you know that.

Tibs said:

;-D

Oh no! I think, the FAQ is really Azathoth in disguise! We have to stop FFG's attempt at summoning it or we'll all be consumed!

jhaelen said:

Tibs said:

;-D

Oh no! I think, the FAQ is really Azathoth in disguise! We have to stop FFG's attempt at summoning it or we'll all be consumed!

How did you know?!

Avi_dreader said:

jhaelen said:

Tibs said:

;-D

How did you know?!

He read your commentary.

Made a new post with this question, wanted to ask it here tho too:

There is a gate card that has the player roll a check to either leave the other world, and return to Arkham on a success, or on a failure is Lost in Time and Space. Either way, they close the gate related to the other world.

When this happens, could the investigator spend 5 clue tokens to seal the gate? Or is the ONLY time you can seal a gate, is if you make a success check during Arkham Encounter phase to close a gate?

Avi_dreader said:

With the 5+ investigator rules, does anyone know if there's an official ruling on what happens when you draw "A gate and a monster appears" as an encounter (I'd assume they're all changed to "two monsters")?

Dang. We've been playing it as only one monster.

One more note if a character returns to Arkham during movement, would he still be able to play Time bomb on his location?

JerusalemJones said:

One more note if a character returns to Arkham during movement, would he still be able to play Time bomb on his location?

Sure, why not?  You have a movement phase.

Tibs said:

With regards to that very specific encounter, you may not seal the gate. I don't know if it's a general rule though.

Is this whether you pass or fail the test, or can you still seal the gate (with clues? with elder sign? with parchment?) if you pass the test?

Sealing a location or being Kate means that "a gate and a monster appears" does nothing, and "a monster appears" does nothing.

What happens with encounters that involve a monster appearing that are more complicated than that? There seem to be a few types.

Examples:

Type 1: "A monster appears, if you do (not) defeat it, something happens"
Unvisited Isle, IH: "A monster appears. If you do not defeat it, you are Cursed" (KiY and KH have similarly-worded ones with different effects)

Type 1a: "Like Type 1, but without the 'A monster appears' or 'An adjective monster appears' wording
Unvisited Isle, KiY: "A Monster is attacking a huddled figure in the shadows. If you pass the first Combat check you make against the Monster, you may draw a random Ally or Spell."

Type 1b: "Something happens, then a monster appears"
I can't find an example right now, but something like "You hear footsteps as you investigate the storeroom. If you choose to open the boxes, gain 1 Common Item, but then a monster appears. Otherwise, you get away before it finds you."

Type 2: "If you pass/fail a check, a monster appears, else something different happens"
Unvisited Isle, KiY: "You watch two women walk the island while they speak of the Hyades, Hali, and Lost Carcosa. Gain 1 Clue Token, then make a Sneak (-2) check. If you pass, you hear further details, gaining 1 more Clue Token. If you fail, they see you and call upon protection. A Monster appears!"

Type 3: "A specific monster appears"
Witch House, CotDP: "Something about the angles in the attic room opens your mind to the myriad possibilities of other, nearly identical universes. Search the Spell deck for a Spell you already have, and take another copy of it. Then, as you continue to stare into the impossible angle, a Hound of Tindalos appears!"
(and what happens in this case if all Hounds are already taken as trophies, on the board, or returned to the box?)

Type 3a: "A specific monster appears, but if there aren't any in the cup, something else happens"
Witch House, DH: "The strange, rat-like creature known as Brown Jenkin leaps out of the darkness at you! Search the monster cup for a Rat-thing. If you find one, battle it with a -1 penalty to your Combat checks. If you don't, Brown Jenkin grabs one of your items and runs. Lose 1 Item of your choice."

Type 4: "If you make a particular choice, a monster appears, otherwise something different happens"
Independence Square, CotDP: "A well-dressed gentleman approaches a group of children and begins to lead one away... and something tells you that he's up to no good. If you confront him, he transforms, and you are surprised by a monster. If you defeat it, draw 1 Exhibit Item, but you are Barred from Downtown for assaulting a respected citizen. If you mind your own business, the child is later found dead."

My 2 cents on this issue... (and I know, I'll be 99% wrong, but then... it's just an interpretation of this ambiguity)

I think that encounters like "a gate and monster appears" or "a monster appears" refer to the fragile veil between this reality and the other worlds. When a location is sealed, this veil is so strong that creatures from the external worlds cannot tear it. But this shouldn't hinder monsters already in this world to enter the location (am I wrong? I think a Hound of Tindalos can enter sealed locations), so basically in most of the cases I would go for playing the encounter as it's stated. This as a general guideline. Don't know, certainly Avi or Tibs would know this better than me, it was just a consideration

Q: If an Other World card tells the player a gate is closing, especially one that says "you close the gate," can Clue tokens be used to seal the gate?
A: No.

Q: Kate Winthrop's Science! - Does it prevent encountering specific monsters (such as the Mi-Go at the Science Building encounter [AH] or the God of the Bloody Tongue in the Other World encounter 5 [CotDP])? Does it prevent monsters from appearing due to Other World encounters?
A: Yes to all of the above.

Tibs said:

Q: If an Other World card tells the player a gate is closing, especially one that says "you close the gate," can Clue tokens be used to seal the gate?
A: No.

Q: Kate Winthrop's Science! - Does it prevent encountering specific monsters (such as the Mi-Go at the Science Building encounter [AH] or the God of the Bloody Tongue in the Other World encounter 5 [CotDP])? Does it prevent monsters from appearing due to Other World encounters?
A: Yes to all of the above.

Thank you Tibs...

Tibs said:

In my opinion, it is the intent of the card that it gives you +3 when you devote both hands to it. The wording wasn't careful because in the base game it didn't matter. So it would follow that if you're gripping the axe with both hands, you're not getting the Martial Arts bonus with either hand. It also follows that if you have a broken hand, you cannot grip it to get the +3. If you allow the +3 with Martial Arts, then what's so special about the Axe that you can use your Martial Arts with it and not with any other weapon? It just doesn't make sense.

However, the upcoming updated FAQ simply says this about it:

"+3"

I don't know if that means "the axe continues to offer +3 when you have an open hand," or that, "you get +3 overall with one-handed MA and the Axe."

I think the two alternatives here are +2 or +3 (the axe-card reads: "+2 combat check (+3 if the other hand is empty") from the axe when one empty hand gets +2 from martial arts, so that "+3" would mean a total of +5 in that case.