Sign in to follow this  
jbmacek

The Darksaber

I did a search, but couldn't find a topic right away, so I figured I start one.

The Darksaber... official stats yet? I suspect not.

Otherwise, just a standard lightsaber with the special effect of "it is dark"?

I haven't finished watching The Clone Wars yet (almost done with season 4), so I don't know if it makes any appearances in seasons 5 and 6, or not.

It would make for a cool adventure hook, that's for sure. Old tales of it appearing during the Clone Wars... a Jedi-wannabe and his friends go looking for it.

It was "stolen from the Jedi Temple during the collapse of the Old Republic" and it looks more sword-like than "modern" lightsabers, so stats-wise it's identical but if your players want to use non-traditional lightsabers that's a good guide to what they look like, presumably they also came in different colors

Just to ask: Are we sure it didn't do anything different? I mean I don't recall it doing anything different, but I also know others remember some of these things better then I.

That said, yeah if it didn't do anything more then a regular saber, and you just want a "Black" saber... normal stats. If you want THE Darksaber, EotE/AoR stats...

Edited by Ghostofman

Just to ask: Are we sure it didn't do anything different? I mean I don't recall it doing anything different, but I also know others remember some of these things better then I.

That said, yeah if it didn't do anything more then a regular saber, and you just want a "Black" saber... normal stats. If you want THE Darksaber, EotE/AoR stats...

It had a pretty cool flashing effect and made funny noises. Had a neat hilt design. Otherwise, it didn't act much different than a lightsaber. I don't even recall any 'dark side relic' oogling on anybody's part either.

It didn't do anything different. It made a different sound but that's the extent of it. It's hilt looked different but that's true of all lightsabres. It's just a normal lightsabre whose blade is black and whose hilt looks differently. But during the show it never displayed any additional powers or anything. It was just a different kind of lightsabre. No more special or less special than any other lightsabre on the show. 

But it was different. It had a story. It had a name.

If you've played Deadlands, you probably know about Relics.  Relics are essentially magic items; they started off as normal things but became infused with power through the Reckoning.  In Star Wars, we have the Force, which, from a certain point of view, is mystical and is in everything around us.  In the Force and Destiny CRB, there are several Force artifacts mentioned. In my Star Wars, there are relics as well as Force artifacts.  One and the same, really.

The Darksaber? You bet it's special!

But it was different. It had a story. It had a name.

If you've played Deadlands, you probably know about Relics.  Relics are essentially magic items; they started off as normal things but became infused with power through the Reckoning.  In Star Wars, we have the Force, which, from a certain point of view, is mystical and is in everything around us.  In the Force and Destiny CRB, there are several Force artifacts mentioned. In my Star Wars, there are relics as well as Force artifacts.  One and the same, really.

The Darksaber? You bet it's special!

Every lightsabre has a story. Every lightsabre is unique. It has a crystals specially chosen by the user. It is made personally by the user who constructs the hilt of the blade to fit his overall personality. It develops a story based on the exploits of the user. Every lightsabre out there ever made is unique and has a story. 

The only real thing that sets the darksabre from the other ones we see on TCW is that it's black. That's it. Oh and it was stolen. But that doesn't make it special. Anakin's lightsabre is also special. It's the first one we see in the movies. And it's the one Luke uses until his hand is chopped off. And it appears to play an important role in the Force Awakens. But it's not exactly a special lightsabre that does something different from other lightsabres. It's just a lightsabre with a long story tied to important people in the galaxy. The same is pretty much true of the darksabre. 

If for the purpose of your game you want to make it special go for it. But if the question is "Was it special" then the answer is no. It wasn't special. I'm not going to debate whether one should make it special for their game. I could honestly care less. I'm only weighing in on the official status of the weapon according to how it was used in the show. 

Maybe it lets Mandalorians use the Melee skill instead of Lightsaber ...   :)

Pre Viszla, the Mando we first see using it, does seem to be able to wield it much more effectively than any other non-sensitive we see using a lightsaber, except Grievous, so I could see that being possible.

Pre Viszla, the Mando we first see using it, does seem to be able to wield it much more effectively than any other non-sensitive we see using a lightsaber, except Grievous, so I could see that being possible.

Or being an NPC, Pre Viszla simply got assigned a handful of ranks in the Lightsaber skill, since there's zilch that says you have to be Force-sensitive to take ranks in that skill.  I believe he'd been in possession of the darksaber for quite some time, so it'd make sense that he'd practice using it, especially if he anticipated ever using it against a Jedi.

Kael's pretty much hit the nail on the head, in that the darksaber is nothing more than a lightsaber with a very unusual looking energy blade.  In fact, in the early drafts, the darksaber didn't exist, and they were going to use a cortosis-weave blade like those found in the KOTOR games.  However, Lucas nixxed that as he didn't want a sword that could stand up to a lightsaber, so Pre's weapon got changed to the darksaber.

Or being an NPC, Pre Viszla simply got assigned a handful of ranks in the Lightsaber skill, since there's zilch that says you have to be Force-sensitive to take ranks in that skill.  I believe he'd been in possession of the darksaber for quite some time, so it'd make sense that he'd practice using it, especially if he anticipated ever using it against a Jedi.

Kael's pretty much hit the nail on the head, in that the darksaber is nothing more than a lightsaber with a very unusual looking energy blade.  In fact, in the early drafts, the darksaber didn't exist, and they were going to use a cortosis-weave blade like those found in the KOTOR games.  However, Lucas nixxed that as he didn't want a sword that could stand up to a lightsaber, so Pre's weapon got changed to the darksaber.

Fair point.

Luckily in this system to be a great lightsabre combatant you don't really need the Force. You just need to buy up ranks in the skill and then find a Jedi fighting form that fits your style. The greater bulk of the talents from the Jedi form specializations can be used by anyone. Thus the system does a very good job of making non Force users just as deadly with a lightsabre as Force users themselves. 

Luckily in this system to be a great lightsabre combatant you don't really need the Force. You just need to buy up ranks in the skill and then find a Jedi fighting form that fits your style. The greater bulk of the talents from the Jedi form specializations can be used by anyone. Thus the system does a very good job of making non Force users just as deadly with a lightsabre as Force users themselves. 

Point of order. All the formers other than Shii-Cho are force talents therefore your character would need to be force sensetive to use them.

Point of order. All the formers other than Shii-Cho are force talents therefore your character would need to be force sensetive to use them.

I don't have my book with me but I'm pretty sure the form themselves are just specializations and not force talents. If I recall the rules right anyone can take the form. They just can't take all the talents in a form such as the stat swapping one. But the basic form itself is open to anyone who takes the tree. thus as I stated you can pick any form that fits your fighting style. 

Or he simply had enough time to practice.  The vast majority of lightsaber style basics are not force enhanced, and given enough time, should be usable by anyone.  It's just that 99.9999999999999999999999999999999 percent of the galaxy has never so much as seen a lightsaber, much less owned one.

Other point of order: In the Inquisitor section of the Adversaries chapter, there's an entry for an ability called Lightsaber Mastery which allows the NPC to pick a characteristic other than Brawn to use when rolling the Lightsaber skill.  And since an Inquisitor does not have to have a Force Rating (which the design steps even specify), by default Lightsaber Mastery doesn't require a Force Rating.

So for an NPC using the darksaber, just give them Lightsaber Mastery for the GM's characteristic of choice and call it day.  In Pre's case, he probably would have stuck to Brawn anyway, since that was like on par with his Agility or any other characteristic.

Yep.

A darksaber is just a lightsaber with a glowing black blade.

The Darksaber, is just a lightsaber with a glowing black blade, but it might some upgrades and mods installed by it's original owner (and maybe even the subsequent ones).

I like the silver lightsabers of the imperial knighrs in legacy even though it doesn't exist anymore since the great erasing of the galaxy as we knew it

That's one I'm also hoping Disney will mine from the pile of ideas that constitute the EU.

I like the silver lightsabers of the imperial knighrs in legacy even though it doesn't exist anymore since the great erasing of the galaxy as we knew it

It's funny, but I realized just now that I haven't worried about Star Wars canon since Splinter of the Mind's Eye was invalidated by The Empire Strikes Back.

the darksaber is not all that different than the kerestian darkstick(http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darkstick)
while the article maintains they were made out of light weight metal, the first mention was from west end games.  they were energy blades and were compared to lightsabers.  the next mention of them was in the wizards of the coast, where, again, they were energy weapons, and they specifically mention they are generated by crystals.

supposition: the darksaber was created by a kerestian jedi
sure, lucas wanted a darksaber, but in terms of the expanded universe, it would make sense that a kerestian force user would want to honor their species' culture by making a darksaber

interesting note about kerest, it was once a thriving culture, but an unspecified tragedy thousands of years ago caused the planet to ice over.  was it natural causes or was it the result of something more nefarious, such as a war in the stars?

regardless, the quest for a dark crystal could easily be directed to kerest

Galaxy Guide 12: Aliens — Enemies and Allies first described the blade of the darkstick as a beam of "black light," similar to a lightsaberUltimate Alien Anthology repeats this description of the darkstick as an energy weapon. This article's description of the darkstick as a solid blade comes from the more recent depiction in The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology and Galaxy at War.

Edited by Macabre

Hmm, that gives me an idea for a small cult, or lost order of people, who have zero Force ability, but have trained to use the Lightsabers, and are familiar with the Jedi teachings.   Holding on to those teachings and lore, in the hopes that some day, someone who actually could harness the Force (or perhaps one of their members someday) and make use of the weapons and the teachings.   

Perhaps one of them was a mundane person working at the temple as an assistant, and he watched them train every day with the sabers...a Sweeper perhaps, just sweeping up the dust, don't mind me.  He survived the purge, because he wasn't a Force user at all, but he squirreled away a few sabers, and what bit of the lore he could steal away, and found some other people to teach it to.  Hoping just by sheer odds that one of them might have Force affinity, but if not, at least the knowledge was preserved.   

An interesting group for a bunch of Force sensitive PC's to run into for their sabers and training.

Yesss.....yeeeessssssss......*steeples fingers*