Sign in to follow this  
Plainsman

What do you do for a "day job?"

interesting to see there don't seem to be too many tradesmen around.  I figured i'd see a lot more but i guess i'm not too surprised

i'm in the Finishing trades as a Red Seal Journeyman Painter, and i also do drywall, mud and a little bit of carpentry for the company i work for

Police officer. Have to hide this hobby from coworkers lol.

that's a shame but i know the feeling.  Some of the people i work with give me funny looks when i tell them what my hobby is.  I've never understood what seems so taboo about intelligent strategy gaming in the eyes of the general public

interesting to see there don't seem to be too many tradesmen around.  I figured i'd see a lot more but i guess i'm not too surprised

i'm in the Finishing trades as a Red Seal Journeyman Painter, and i also do drywall, mud and a little bit of carpentry for the company i work for

that's a shame but i know the feeling.  Some of the people i work with give me funny looks when i tell them what my hobby is.  I've never understood what seems so taboo about intelligent strategy gaming in the eyes of the general public

Id say we dont see many "tradesmen" gamers replying because they are more "hands-on" types who dont spend time on the net and esp. forums like some of us.

The general public sees us as "grownups playing a game with toy ships" and dont realize the thinking involved due to the complexities and nuances of the system!

JMHOs!

Unrelated, our dog's name is Jango Pett

oh my, I am yoinking that for our new dog. :)

/topic I'm a lawyer, but don't hold that against me...

I have preserved all my "proof of purchases" in case of getting opponents like you  :ph34r:

Edited by IG88E

I run a microbrewery.

What's the name of your brewery, if you don'the mind sharing? I'm a homebrewer and I really enjoy visiting new breweries and talking to people who have "made the leap" to make it a full time career. I also make wooden mash paddles, tap handles, and beer flights in my (non-X-wing) spare time.

My father is a Sheet Metal worker in Mid Michigan and if this game had come out 20 years ago I think he would have been all over it.

Something about too many grand kids now....

I don't find it anywhere near as much today as I did 25 years ago. There are at least three other tabletop gamers in my division, and I know of a few more in other divisions. Two of these guys are fairly high up in the chain. One is a deputy chief of a division, and the other is at least that, if not the actual chief.

Game developement, currently managing external testing of World of Warships project. I consider myself lucky, because it is soooo easy to turn my colleagues into X-Wing and armada players. We have a gaming group of 5 at work already.

I taught upper elementary grades the last 4 years, and finally made the transition to high school (and to a very good district!) over the summer, due in part to a fellow X-winger who encouraged me to apply to his district!

I'm currently teaching AVID, reading, and composition, and loving it!

I run a microbrewery.

Very nice! Also, I'm going to have to use your signature when I explain to my students the importance of professional communication.

I WAS going to be a pharmacy technician until I figured out just how much I hated it and wasn't passionate about the material. I love medicine but pharmacy, especially on the retail end of things, wasn't really for me. However I still love medicine and I plan to enroll back into school in January to pursue medical and biological research, I'm not entirely sure which yet (I hear science students are always switching majors, wheeeeee!)

For now I wash dishes even though I have twenty years of cooking and kitchen experience. Kitchen work is tough, demanding and underpaid, but somebody has to do it. I'm hoping to get a job that's laid back or gives me more green to make ends meet. The reality of the situation is that I can barely pay my bills, let alone buy more plastic ships, but I'm an introverted person who still loves board games and needs an outlet for rolling dice and squad building. Nevertheless, I'm passionate about gaming both on the board or behind a computer screen or arcade CRT, and love to write and review in my spare time. :3

I WAS going to be a pharmacy technician until I figured out just how much I hated it and wasn't passionate about the material. I love medicine but pharmacy, especially on the retail end of things, wasn't really for me. However I still love medicine and I plan to enroll back into school in January to pursue medical and biological research, I'm not entirely sure which yet (I hear science students are always switching majors, wheeeeee!)

For now I wash dishes even though I have twenty years of cooking and kitchen experience. Kitchen work is tough, demanding and underpaid, but somebody has to do it. I'm hoping to get a job that's laid back or gives me more green to make ends meet. The reality of the situation is that I can barely pay my bills, let alone buy more plastic ships, but I'm an introverted person who still loves board games and needs an outlet for rolling dice and squad building. Nevertheless, I'm passionate about gaming both on the board or behind a computer screen or arcade CRT, and love to write and review in my spare time. :3

At least you figured it out before it was too late. I know a few people who figured that out far too late to change course, and they're miserable

My supervisor pulled me aside today and told me how I didn't get back to the post office in time and that I'm a poor performer. He said that he needed me to have an 8 hour day today and since I've gone over 8 hours every day I've been on my route, and that I'm a poor performer. He said that I put him in a 'pickle' and I started laughing. And it made him angry that I was laughing so it was even funnier to me. We got into a discussion about how I took too many stops to urinate while doing my route.

He then asked me if I liked working at the post office. I told him that it's alright. He then asked me if I cared about my job and I started laughing again and he threw his hands up in the air and said, "I guess you don't care!".

I truly couldn't help laughing and if I had a choice in the matter I wouldn't have, but it was nice to inadvertently defeat someone's efforts like that.

Is it true that they time you guys on your route and count your steps? Also, where do you even find restrooms? In our residential neighborhood, you'd have a ways to go to find a restroom open to the public. And isnt there a limit for mileage on the vehicle?

Just curious!

The USPS has a program called DOIS. They input the count for all types of mail on a given route and DOIS gives them an estimated route delivery time. It's usually incorrect as most management fudge the numbers to appease their boss so the DOIS estimate is skewed light. By the way, it makes an estimate on a perfect delivery day which doesn't include customer contact, customer service issues, signature capture pieces, traffic, bathroom stops, donning rain gear, phone calls from school, spouse, etc when problems arise. We carriers give our own estimate, which is the only one that matters, but DOIS is their preferred method of estimation.

No, they don't count our steps but with our GPS scanning devices, they have real-time updates on our positions, rate of speed and actvity at all times. As for mileage, each route has a set mileage but there is usually a 1-2 mile forgiveness.

I deliver mail for the United States Postal Service.

Yes! I knew I'd find a fellow letter carrier eventually :)

I got bit by a dog the other day, got my left arm. Hope it knocks me out of work for a few days, haha. I told the nurse at the hospital who was cleaning the wounds, "At least I don't have to deliver the mail".

People and their weapon animals. I'm a childfree person and I have many of the same attitudes towards pets. I don't understand the attachment to dogs, especially large dangerous ones.