Sign in to follow this  
Ezebial

New To This

So I am going to be starting a new campaign soon but this is my first time as gm and its my player's first time playing the game period. I really don't want this to crash and burn to the point no one gives it another chance. I was hoping for any advice.

The things I know now are that one player is going to try and be the biggest and baddest person he can and the other will be interested in the roleplay aspect but I have a strong feeling may try to undermine me as gm because of rules.

Know the rules, have a firm hand when it comes to making rulings, don't argue with the players, remember it's not you versus them, run a practice combat before the game to get the hang of the math, reward the players responsibly, don't get attached to PC's or NPC's, have fun.

(that last one is the most important)

Wow that was quick, thanks. I've been hearing a lot about the Errata. What are the corrected issues exactly?

There are lots of tweaks and clarifications, but the most impactful change was to weapon stats. Generally they have had their minimum damage increased and their maximum damage decreased (including reduced chance of Righteous Fury). Both are good changes: higher minimum lets PCs quickly blow away faceless grunts movie-style, while lower max damage reduces the chance of anticlimactic one-shot-kills against 'boss monsters' (a common problem in the early days of DW).

I guess one of the most important things to get started is to know the rules! There's a fuckload of them, and if you don't spend a decent amount of time in advance to learn them, you will be scrolling the books more than playing the game! I'd recommend focussing on the combat rules, as combats tend to get extremly slow and nerve wrecking when you don't know the rules. Solo and Team modes are fun, but not necessarily needed in the beginning. Also have a good look into skills, those can be easily used as shortcuts to roleplay. The rest will come with the time.

If you want to save some time, download the character sheet generator for creating characters. Will also save some time scrolling books, as talents come with a short description on the character sheet(big advance for new players!!!).

Edited by Avdnm

Sound advice, all above. What I'd add is to communicate with your players before starting your campaign to see what their expectations are. DW is admittedly a very over-the-top game, but it never hurts to see what kind of fun they're hoping to get out of this: the game can just as easily be a silly over-the-top shoot-'em-up as a grimdark violent bloodfest or a politics-heavy cloak-and-dagger thing.

I apologize for a very delayed reply but thank you for all the good advice. Most deffinitely want to say very true on the rules aspect. I have spent the last 7 months learning it and I'm still finding new aspects. 0.o

The killteam ended up being very, argumentative by nature but they actually carried through to a good conclusion, despite one of them losing an arm. We have decided to give Dark Heresy a go next. Looking forward to that.

Personally as someone who as GMd alot knowing the rules is very important but equally be firm from the beginning that the rules are a short hand for your rulings. What I mean by that is that if your opinion of what happens if say you fall off a building is different to the rule book then you are correct. Be fair transparent and consistent. But also assertive. As GM you put in 90% of the work likely you spend most of the money so you set the rules of the game. Basically a player undermining a GM because of rules should never happen simply because the GM is right. Even when the dice say one thing and the GM another the dice are wrong. As with all things with great power comes great responsibility. Abuse the authority of a GM and soon you won't have any players.