R2-EQ

X-Wing Co-Op Campaign is Here!

I think you should be battling only 2 Phantoms... One of those Phamtom's say 8+ and under the squad composition card it says "Ignore unless the Average Rebel Pilot Skill is this High. You have 3 eight level and 1 three level. 8+8+8+3=27/4= 6.75 your average player level is 6.75.

Yes, only two showed up at first. But we also had four players, which means there's a chance that one of the tokens we scan can turn out to be a docked Phantom. Which, unfortunately, wound up happening in the first round for us.

In my booklet it has the Imperial symbol under the squad arival chart with an asterik ... "cannot be" silhouette of a phantom. I think Phantoms should be removed from being drawn.

In my booklet it has the Imperial symbol under the squad arival chart with an asterik ... "cannot be" silhouette of a phantom. I think Phantoms should be removed from being drawn.

That's not what I'm refering to. The Imperial ship that was drawn for that was a Defender. Look under the rules for Identifying Signal Tokens. Specifically, 1/2/3: If there are 4/5/6 players respectively, place a Docking Port with TIE Phantom. If not, false signal. We have four players, therefore if the number 1 is drawn, a docking port with a Phantom gets placed. This happened in the first round.

I'm pretty sure that you don't deploy the docking port until 1, 2, and 3 are identified, so that third phantom wouldn't have shown up on turn 1.  In any case, our strategy (also 4 players) was to more or less dodge the phantoms and hide behind clouds as much as possible until we located the R&D Station.  Then take out the command center ASAP.  Once it is down, the phantoms are MUCH more manageable.  The advanced cloaking device has little effect if you are above them in PS and as long as you focus, the sensor array can basically be ignored as well.  Not saying it was easy, but we pulled it off on the first go.

I think your squad just got hosed by bad luck, much like the people playing the Capture Officer scenario a few pages back - also, you might need a different squad setup.

That's sort of the conclusion I came to today. Not running into the extra Phantom in the first round would've helped a lot, and having VI on at least one of our ships would allow that ship to outmaneuver the Phantoms, reacting to the phantom rather than vice versa. 

Y-Wings are not a very glamorous ship to fly, but they can help out a lot. I think part of the problem is in pilot skills and the other part is squad makeup. My group did that mission with 2 Ys, an X and an A, and it was challenging, but not impossible. Y-Wings have turrets which allow them to retain their attack vectors and still contribute to the local fight. Plus they can use bombs. A kitted out B-Wing is nice, but it is still stuck firing in its arc, so it's just a shootier, sturdier but slower and less maneuverable X-Wing.

The other thing is that after level 7, PTL is a wasted card slot for an X-Wing or B-Wing. If you want that action economy, you should all be Jake Farrell instead. 9 times out of 10, your two actions on an X-Wing are going to be Focus and Boost since the only other option is Target Lock. Why not add Barrel Roll to the repertoire and save the stress? PTL is phenomenal for the green-rich A-Wing, but as an X-Wing or B-Wing, it's more of a hindrance than a help given the dials if you're able to be Jake Farrell instead. Keyan Farlander is good, but he's only destressing you one per turn, which means PTL is locking out most of your dial. Better to have Keyan in the pocket for destressing your red maneuvers, and then have Jake for your whites and greens.

Has anyone else struggled with the Cloak and Dagger mission? We just tried it tonight, and the Phantoms shredded our squadron.

We had four pilots today, three flying X-Wings, one in a B-Wing. The B-Wing was tricked out at Pilot Skill 8 with Keyan Farlander, Predator, Push the Limit, and Engine Upgrade, Autothrusters, a Heavy Laser Cannon, Gunner, and an Ion Torpedoes. One of the X-Wings at Pilot Skill 8 had three Shield Upgrades and an Engine Upgrade, along with R2-D2, an Ion Torpedo, PTL, Predator, and Wired. The second, also at Pilot Skill 8, had an Engine Upgrade, R2 Astromech, Stealth Device, Shield Upgrade, PTL, Advanced Proton Torpedoes, and Etahn Abaht's ability. The final X-Wing was only Pilot Skill 3, and just had an Ion Torpedo and an R2 Astromech.

The first round, we scanned four of the ten tokens. The first turned up as a 12, but the 4th wound up being a 1, so an extra Phantom appeared right away. Two of the Phantoms closed distance quickly on the X-Wing with the Stealth Device, and he was destroyed by round 3. Between the Advanced Cloaking Device, Pilot Skill 10, and the Sensor Jammer effects all given by the R&D Station, there was just almost nothing any of our ships could do. Should we work on other missions until our Pilots can get up to a higher level? Should we just try to game it by trying over and over until we find the R&D Station almost right away? How do you guys go about this? I'm sure it can be beaten, and had it not been for poor dice rolls, would've gone a bit better, but after four rounds, we'd only managed to find two of the three tokens needed to discover the R&D Station, and had already lost one of our ships, with our other ships taking heavy fire. The rest of the squad thought it would be best to retreat at that point, since a Defender showed up with three TIE Fighters. Only the B-Wing had done any damage to one of the Phantoms, and even then, it was mostly through pure luck with his Gunner shot. 

I'd love some advice. Our squadron was really dejected after the short game, and they really didn't seem to enjoy it all that much. Two of them are ready to write it off as nearly impossible, and are saying it needs adjusting to be more balanced. I'm sure it's perfectly beatable, but would like suggestions on different approaches aside from just rushing in and scanning as many tokens as possible in the first couple rounds.

Cloak and Dagger is one of the missions I have been taking a second look at recently, because as you experienced, it tends to be swingy based on token draws and your squad composition. Unless you have specific abilities to deal with arc dodging aces that have higher PS, or turrets/bombs as others have mentioned, you're in for a rough time.

I haven't decided yet if the potential for 3 extra Phantoms is too much in a 6p game; it depends on whether you find the R&D station or the docking ports first.

Y-Wings are not a very glamorous ship to fly,

How dare you :P The shenanigans you can do with a Y-wing in the campaign are so much fun.  I have Jake Farrel on my Y-wing, and seeing a Y-wing barrel roll is hilarious.  Just got my Y-wing to PS9.  He is never going to switch to a different ship.  He LOVES his bombs too much.

How dare you :P The shenanigans you can do with a Y-wing in the campaign are so much fun.  I have Jake Farrel on my Y-wing, and seeing a Y-wing barrel roll is hilarious.  Just got my Y-wing to PS9.  He is never going to switch to a different ship.  He LOVES his bombs too much.

To be fair, I am one of the Y-Wing pilots, and I also put Jake Farrell on it. Though I don't use bombs, the other Y-Wing does. It seemed more valuable to the squad to be the torpedo Y-Wing for scrapping Lambda shuttles and the like. The other Y-Wing is the Midnight Proton Bomber what proton bombs at midnight. Y-Wings are also XP hogs because of the turrets. The limitations of the B-Wing were what kept me from switching. Especially the lack of regen. The A-Wing has the ability to do all kinds of goofiness to avoid being shot (we had games where the A-Wing never even got shot at once, let alone hit), so the lack of regen is less of a problem. The Y-Wing is probably the best overall ship in Co-Op.

But, let's be realistic. The game is called X-Wing for a reason, and the only thing that Y-Wings do in the OT is die, lol. So they aren't glamorous.  ;)

When my low level group did Cloak and dagger, we had 2 players and 1 of my 2 Zs distracting the phantoms while trying to stay alive, while my other Z and a kilrazx did attack runs at the PS10-granting module. If we hadnt blanked out half our attack rolls, if we killed that upgrade 1 turn earlier, I'm pretty sure we could have won despte the base being the last chip we drew.

To be fair, I am one of the Y-Wing pilots, and I also put Jake Farrell on it. Though I don't use bombs, the other Y-Wing does. It seemed more valuable to the squad to be the torpedo Y-Wing for scrapping Lambda shuttles and the like. The other Y-Wing is the Midnight Proton Bomber what proton bombs at midnight. Y-Wings are also XP hogs because of the turrets. The limitations of the B-Wing were what kept me from switching. Especially the lack of regen. The A-Wing has the ability to do all kinds of goofiness to avoid being shot (we had games where the A-Wing never even got shot at once, let alone hit), so the lack of regen is less of a problem. The Y-Wing is probably the best overall ship in Co-Op.

But, let's be realistic. The game is called X-Wing for a reason, and the only thing that Y-Wings do in the OT is die, lol. So they aren't glamorous.  ;)

The B-Wing can be shockingly maneuverable. My buddy's B-Wing is fixing to be the most maneuverable ship in our campaign right now. All he needs is Tycho's ability, and Hera as a crew member to replace gunner. He can use Advanced Sensors to barrel roll and boost before maneuvering, then execute a red maneuver thanks to Hera. And now he has two stresses, one of which he can spend with Keyan Farlander's ability. Next turn, he can do it all over again, despite being stressed. He's going to be stacking stress like there's no tomorrow, and it will only make him stronger.

"The B-Wing can be shockingly maneuverable. My buddy's B-Wing is fixing to be the most maneuverable ship in our campaign right now. All he needs is Tycho's ability, and Hera as a crew member to replace gunner. He can use Advanced Sensors to barrel roll and boost before maneuvering, then execute a red maneuver thanks to Hera. And now he has two stresses, one of which he can spend with Keyan Farlander's ability. Next turn, he can do it all over again, despite being stressed. He's going to be stacking stress like there's no tomorrow, and it will only make him stronger."

We have somebody in my local group that has done a similar B-wing build. Puts everybody else's maneuverability to shame, and when combined with Autoblaster, he's often able to take on a 4-TIE formation by himself.

The B-Wing can be shockingly maneuverable. My buddy's B-Wing is fixing to be the most maneuverable ship in our campaign right now. All he needs is Tycho's ability, and Hera as a crew member to replace gunner. He can use Advanced Sensors to barrel roll and boost before maneuvering, then execute a red maneuver thanks to Hera. And now he has two stresses, one of which he can spend with Keyan Farlander's ability. Next turn, he can do it all over again, despite being stressed. He's going to be stacking stress like there's no tomorrow, and it will only make him stronger.

Well, true. But we're talking about a minimum of Level 7 and between 70 and 90 total XP before that build is viable. By Level 7, every ship starts to do wacky stuff. After Level 7, there were entire games where the A-Wing was never even shot at, let alone hit, lol. To be fair, nothing a ship can do at Level 7 should really be that shocking. At Level 7, you're just planning how you're going to break the game extra good if you can make Level 9 before the campaign ends.

I just tested my Raider AI (a few pages back) vs a pair of PS9 superships- an R2D2 Sabine PTL Poe Ello T70 with 3 shield ugrades, and a generic R2 Gemner Istban PTL Juke Ewing, with EU, Thrusters, Sensor jammr, stealth and sheld.

I'm not entirely happy with how the flank AI runs- I think I may have reversed the left and right banks. the Ewing was able to tank the worst of the raider's firepower, and the two of them were able to overcome the raider's reinforce+3 shields a turn.

With more support the raider will be a real threat though, as it cannot be ignored for a single turn without losing most of the ground it's earned.

Edited by Rakaydos

Here in Toronto, we've had a group for 8 months or so working on an amazing Campaign for X-Wing spearheaded by Armorgear7.

CampaignSpread_1000-1000x576.jpg

Now that it's ready for release you can grab it here:

http://dockingbay416.com/campaign/

You should give it a try as a ton of effort went into it's creation!

For those interested, below is a link about the genesis for the campaign.

http://dockingbay416.com/new-co-op-x-wing-campaign/

:)

When can we expect an Imperial version? I only play for the greater good of the Empire trying to eradicate those Rebel dissenters!!! :-)

Fantastic job done by the way :-)

When can we expect an Imperial version? I only play for the greater good of the Empire trying to eradicate those Rebel dissenters!!! :-)

There's been some talk of this here and there.  It's certainly possible, but finding out how to actually make Imperial ships work in this kind of system and still FEEL Imperial has proven... troublesome.  Some members of the community are working on it if you're interested in helping.

Brought this to our game store for the first time last night.  We had about 13-14 people playing at last night.   It took the group by storm!  Everyone was really happy.  There were only a couple of guys that only wanted to play regular games.  It was a big hit.  

THANKS SO MUCH FOR DOING THIS!    It is very well made and nicely produced.  The AI is excellent.  Several people said it is probably better than anything FFG would put out.  Too bad they don't higher you to work on this stuff full time and crank out awesome stuff.

Here in Toronto, we've had a group for 8 months or so working on an amazing Campaign for X-Wing spearheaded by Armorgear7.

CampaignSpread_1000-1000x576.jpg

Now that it's ready for release you can grab it here:

http://dockingbay416.com/campaign/

You should give it a try as a ton of effort went into it's creation!

For those interested, below is a link about the genesis for the campaign.

http://dockingbay416.com/new-co-op-x-wing-campaign/

:)

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/195550-villains-of-the-aturi-cluster/page-1

A quick question for everyone: what happens when an AI ship must be activated, that has a higher PS than some rebel ship? Step 1 (Select Target) and maneuver selection in general must be executed before or after the rebel ship movement?

I'm assuming it's after, but that sounds a bit wrong to me.

A quick question for everyone: what happens when an AI ship must be activated, that has a higher PS than some rebel ship? Step 1 (Select Target) and maneuver selection in general must be executed before or after the rebel ship movement?

I'm assuming it's after, but that sounds a bit wrong to me.

Every thing still goes according to PS order.  So a AI with a high PS will activate after any rebel with a lower PS, buit before rebels with a higher PS.  Just like a normal game.

Say you have a squad 4 rebels, three are PS 3 and one is PS 5.  average PS will be 3.5, rounded down to 3.  AI aces would be PS4.  So activation would be...

(1) PS 1 AI

(2) PS 3 rebels

(3) PS 4 AI

(4) PS 5 rebel

The Ace might make a wrong move if he was targeting the PS5, but that's why higher PS is what it is.

Edited by Salted Diamond