Sign in to follow this  
Seastan

Seastan play sessions (youtube channel)

Hey everyone,

I decided to start up a similar thread to Glaurung, where I post my play sessions with some commentary.

I love deckbuilding and card combinations, so right now I plan to mainly focus on exploring fun new deck ideas, but it could turn into the kind of thing where I take one deck through a campaign. Who knows.

The first deck in the spotlight is one I call Beravor's Path. It's a solo Dunedain deck that can be quite powerful. The quest is Nightmare Journey Down the Anduin.

Video:

https://youtu.be/muYPFmkn0TI

(It seems that, unbeknownst to me, OCTGN game sounds were turned on when I recorded, so there is an annoying clicking noise when I perform actions. I apologize. This will be gone in future videos.)

Deck:

A thing to consider:

Wargs.png

It looks like you were discarding his shadow cards without looking at them because he attacked Beravor with the Burning Brand, but for his ability it doesn't matter if a shadow effect triggers or not, because the wording is "dealt".

EDIT: You realized that later in the video, but there was another mistake. You deal shadow cards from left to right, not by the enemies engagement costs.

Edited by John Constantine

A thing to consider:

Wargs.png

It looks like you were discarding his shadow cards without looking at them because he attacked Beravor with the Burning Brand, but for his ability it doesn't matter if a shadow effect triggers or not, because the wording is "dealt".

Thanks. Have you finished the video? I noticed that on the third turn or so and went back in the log to see if the shadow cards had any effect, and for the rest of the video I check every turn and move him appropriately.

EDIT: You realized that later in the video, but there was another mistake. You deal shadow cards from left to right, not by the enemies engagement costs.

I guess I've learned my lesson. This wasn't so much a "mistake" as just negligence. I didn't think people wanted to watch me sort out 7+ shadow cards every turn. But you're absolutely right.

Sure, but not having looked at the order of the encounter deck means I'm not gaining any advantage. And it's not like I was short on willpower either. I could go back and check what shadow card he should have received every turn, and commit the appropriate willpower. But thanks for the tip, I will try to be more careful next time.

Its always nice to see a good player taking on nightmare quests but above all, I am grateful for your posting your lists! I am pretty average as a deckbuilder and good decks (that is, nightmare worthy ) are hard to find. Though I did put together a Beorn-Glorfindel-Eowyn that eventually won Nightmare JDtA. :)

Looking forward to future updates.

Edited by FetaCheese

Ok I sow your session during a bus trip to Bangkok. Quite cool I like it! Your deck is really good and solid. The only problem is crazy boring for me to play such decks since you dont really play a game. You just put a cards in the table and play with your self. Encounter deck cannot do much against you!

this kind of Decks is still possible even with ertatas POl and Beravur…. Still Burning brand also to much powerful! Anyway is up to players use this kind of deck if they like. In coop this combo probablty will not work couse encounter deck plau much quicker!

Anyway good video I like it. Keep on!

Ok I sow your session during a bus trip to Bangkok. Quite cool I like it! Your deck is really good and solid. The only problem is crazy boring for me to play such decks since you dont really play a game. You just put a cards in the table and play with your self. Encounter deck cannot do much against you!

this kind of Decks is still possible even with ertatas POl and Beravur…. Still Burning brand also to much powerful! Anyway is up to players use this kind of deck if they like. In coop this combo probablty will not work couse encounter deck plau much quicker!

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, it's definitely a "control deck" and not everyone likes to play that way. I was just trying to experiment with solo dunedain decks and this is what happened!

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, it's definitely a "control deck" and not everyone likes to play that way. I was just trying to experiment with solo dunedain decks and this is what happened!

Dont get me wrong! Very good play through and cool deck! I really like it! Just as a Tolkien fan I like more actions and struggle! Your idea to use Path card is awesome!

As for the game itself: I actually liked it. Many unorthodox stuff you rarely see these days.

Glad you enjoyed it. This will be the theme of the channel for now. Exploring deck ideas apart from the common Gandalf/Silvan/Dwarf powerhouses.

I could NEVER build a good control deck... and always end up being played by the game... which can be a good thing (more variety in gameplay) or a bad thing (redoing the same quests until you puke).

A thing to consider:

Wargs.png

When were the rules on dealing Shadow cards changed? And can someone point me to the source? I checked the 1.7 FAQ and didn't notice anything about changing Shadow card distribution from the Core rules, which state that Shadow cards are dealt by order of highest engagement cost to lowest. From the Core Rulebook:

At the beginning of the combat phase, the players deal 1 shadow card to each engaged enemy. Deal the top card of the encounter deck, face down, to each engaged enemy. When dealing cards to a single player’s enemies, always deal to the enemy with the highest engagement cost first. Cards should first be dealt to the enemies attacking the first player, and then proceed around the board until all enemies have 1 card.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Yes, the thing you're missing is: in my post I described the way he was dealing shadow cards, which was incorrect

Hmm, didn't watch the video, maybe that will explain it.

I think you might have misread John's original post. He was pointing out that, rather than deal shadow cards correctly (by engagement cost), for part of the video the dealing was done left to right by mistake.

Even if that clears things up, don't let that stop you from watching Seastan's video.

****, I didn't realise shadow cards are dealt by engagement cost. I actually thought you could choose the order in which they are dealt! Whoops. Well at least I know now.

****, I didn't realise shadow cards are dealt by engagement cost. I actually thought you could choose the order in which they are dealt! Whoops. Well at least I know now.

You choose the order of attacking enemies and can strategically defend certain attacks first/last but with shadow cards you must always deal them from highest to lowest engagement for each player in order (obviously starting with the first player).