Sign in to follow this  
Teamjimby

Next Deluxe Expansion: The Grey Havens

A little late to the party on this one but holy cow.  cant really say to much more that hasnt already been said.  this expansion looks amazing.  especially appreciative of the fresh new approach in regards to the gameplay and quests with the ship and exploration mechanics.  i obviously appreciate all the aspects of this game but this is the 1st time in a while that i can remember being significantly more fascinated by the upcoming encounters and scenarios than even the player cards (that do look awesome btw Cirdan! wooooooo)

A little late to the party on this one but holy cow.  cant really say to much more that hasnt already been said.  this expansion looks amazing.  especially appreciative of the fresh new approach in regards to the gameplay and quests with the ship and exploration mechanics.  i obviously appreciate all the aspects of this game but this is the 1st time in a while that i can remember being significantly more fascinated by the upcoming encounters and scenarios than even the player cards (that do look awesome btw Cirdan! wooooooo)

Hey glad to hear you still around here

Ha, thanks Glaurung. Between it just being a busy summer and the lull between Lost Realm and the start of the cycle, its been hard to be active.  Gencon has rejuvenated things though :)

Speaking of rejuvenation...anyone else curious, concerned, or just generally thinking if we'll get more player cards that "rejuvenate" cards back in to your life deck.  Right now the only one that does it really is Will of the West and that does the entire deck and then removed from game, so its kind of the most extreme approach to it.  Just thinking with the Noldor mechanic revolving around drawing lots of cards and then discarding them, we may run out of our decks fairly quickly.  Using just Erestor and Cirdan would have you run clear through a standard 50 card deck in less than 9 turns presuming no other forms of drawing or discarding.  Maybe thats the point since there is no deck max that this will encourage not only a new mechanic but a new way to consider deck composition with 60 or 70 card decks being the norm for Noldor themed decks.  Would still be cool to see some player cards that have some subtle rejuvenation though too.  Like an ally that when it entered play, you choose 3 cards in your discard and shuffle them in.  Could help recur your best cards or also help line up an ability for having a specific card on the top of your discard like the article mentions, or an event that has you shuffle in the bottom 2 of discard and you reduce your threat by the total cost of the two cards.  Could make for some really different gameplay

Speaking of rejuvenation...anyone else curious, concerned, or just generally thinking if we'll get more player cards that "rejuvenate" cards back in to your life deck.

Is it just a coincidence that you used those terms, or did you used to play the Dragon Ball Z card game?

To stay on topic, I think it would be interesting to see them continue adding recursion effects, but they will need to be creative/limited like Caldara, To Me! O' My Kinsfolk! or Ered Nimrais Prospector to avoid printing anything on the same level as (or strictly worse than) Will of the West, Dwarven Tomb, or the Record attachments.

Speaking of rejuvenation...anyone else curious, concerned, or just generally thinking if we'll get more player cards that "rejuvenate" cards back in to your life deck.

Is it just a coincidence that you used those terms, or did you used to play the Dragon Ball Z card game?

To stay on topic, I think it would be interesting to see them continue adding recursion effects, but they will need to be creative/limited like Caldara, To Me! O' My Kinsfolk! or Ered Nimrais Prospector to avoid printing anything on the same level as (or strictly worse than) Will of the West, Dwarven Tomb, or the Record attachments.

To get back off topic..

hahaha no coincidence, looooove me some dbz.  Played Score's well beyond the point where it had died with my local friends.  Picked up Bandai's when they got the rights, mechanics of that game were dirt but played it cause it was DBZ.  Now Score's game as essentially be revived by Panini that I'm into now.  Its like a 2nd edition of the original game, exact same gameplay but cleaned up some tidbits

Ha, thanks Glaurung. Between it just being a busy summer and the lull between Lost Realm and the start of the cycle, its been hard to be active.  Gencon has rejuvenated things though :)

Speaking of rejuvenation...anyone else curious, concerned, or just generally thinking if we'll get more player cards that "rejuvenate" cards back in to your life deck.  Right now the only one that does it really is Will of the West and that does the entire deck and then removed from game, so its kind of the most extreme approach to it.  Just thinking with the Noldor mechanic revolving around drawing lots of cards and then discarding them, we may run out of our decks fairly quickly.  Using just Erestor and Cirdan would have you run clear through a standard 50 card deck in less than 9 turns presuming no other forms of drawing or discarding.  Maybe thats the point since there is no deck max that this will encourage not only a new mechanic but a new way to consider deck composition with 60 or 70 card decks being the norm for Noldor themed decks.  Would still be cool to see some player cards that have some subtle rejuvenation though too.  Like an ally that when it entered play, you choose 3 cards in your discard and shuffle them in.  Could help recur your best cards or also help line up an ability for having a specific card on the top of your discard like the article mentions, or an event that has you shuffle in the bottom 2 of discard and you reduce your threat by the total cost of the two cards.  Could make for some really different gameplay

I agree that between Erestor and now Círdan, we are in need of more recursion effects. When testing my (albeit ridiculous) proof-of-concept Erestor Deck, I was often drawing through the deck within 4 or 5 rounds. If I were to switch Éowyn for Círdan, that deck will only get more silly. I am really interested to make a less silly version of that deck with the new victory display shenanigans. If you can draw your deck consistently in 5 rounds, it seems much more viable to plan on having the 9 removal events (plus Keen as Lances) as the engine of a strategy. In any case, I designed this card below for Ian's "invent a sphere" contest a while back. Looking at it now, it is a bit over-powered at 0 and should probably cost 1 resource, but I feel like the idea is solid. Here's hoping that we get more recursion in the next cycle.

song-of-the-hunt-front-face.jpg?w=640&h=

Edited by danpoage

Cool card and idea, like the art on that too. Looks almost animated, different from most ME art.

Seastan's solo dunedain deck utilizing Tighten Our Belts made me wonder how strong that event would be in a Noldor deck.  Could take advantage of the discarding effects to use up your hand without actually paying for anything, trigger a Tighten Our Belts for a bunch of resources the next turn and be set up for when Erestor does actually put some expensive or useful cards you want to play and not toss.  Not gonna lie when the Erestor preview was 1st revealed I was quietly skeptical of the Noldor mechanic, but even with just a few more previews the wheels are starting to turn...

I'm being aware of the peculiarity of the Noldor trait: playing with the deck-hand...

Erestor

Gildor

Elrond ally (and Elrond hero+Vilya)

Galadriel ally or hero

Rivendel Minstrel

Watcher of the Bruinen

Trollshaw scout

Imladris Stargazer

Master Forge

Elven Jeweller

...the next Erestor hero, Círdan!

All they has similar effect: scrying deck, discard cards from hand, return cards to deck or drawing cards from deck.

Children of the Sea has a similar effect also: return a noldor card in play to deck.

Curious trait

Now i'm wondering: developers and designers knew the peculiarity of noldor trait since core set? at least since when Children-of-the-sea was released? ^^

Edited by Mndela

I think Elrond + Vilya is part of a different strategy than the new Noldor, though - at least from what we've seen so far. Erestor and Cirdan render the Stargazer pretty much useless since you're going to be drawing 5 cards anyway. Unless some unknown event or attachment keeps her relevant, I doubt she'll find a way into discard decks. I love Elrond but I'm not convinced Vilya fits with Erestor. Not saying every card slot in a Noldor deck has to contribute to the discard mechanic (and in a way I suppose every card does in a simple sense), but as I believe I've mentioned earlier I don't think Cirdan+Elrond+Erestor is a good hero line-up unless you've got tons of threat reduction. Then again, I'm a bit tired of depending on Spirfindel for this... we'll most likely have several new heroes to choose from once TGH and Dreamchaser starts coming out, and in new spheres.

addition: One thing I really like about discarding cards is that with Map of Eärnil, Tome of Atanator etc, we're going to be playing expensive events like Fortune or Fate, Grim Resolve and Dooms Hangs Still much more easily.

Edited by Olorin93

Another peculiarity of Noldor trait: noldor characters haven't got sinergy between them (at least not as the other traits cards). The sinergy of noldors focuses in the deck, not in other characters.

...curious (if it is true, i like it a lot)

This is why, Olorin93, you see Imladris is not usefull with Erestor neither Cirdan.

Edited by Mndela

I want to bring some ents on the boat. It will be like pigs riding on a ship made of bacon. I wonder how they would feel? :P

Actually, you're making a good point.

I wonder if there will be any restriction when our party "board" a ship. Historically, this game has proven the contrary, with (for example) Eagles or Ents takens into Moria, but I really would be bugged by Asfaloth exploring Ocean locations. Guess I'll have to house-rule that, but, hey, you never know.

Restrictions would be a bit difficult cause too many cards should be forbidden from boats. Ents, Dwarves, Hobbits, if we want to keep it accurate.

So i do not think they will include any such rules

I want to bring some ents on the boat. It will be like pigs riding on a ship made of bacon. I wonder how they would feel? :P

You sir, made my day a little better. Thanks for the laugh! :)

Oh and Across the Ettenmoors is shipping!  Not long now people till we get our next AP!

Edited by Noccus

You sir, made my day a little better. Thanks for the laugh! :)

Oh and Across the Ettenmoors is shipping!  Not long now people till we get our next AP!

Amazing news! Have been looking everyday waiting for it to change

Perhaps there's some kind of repair mechanic?

"Discard an Ent character and heal x damage from your Ship, were X is the remaing HP of the Ent character.

New Ent meta. :P

Why would Hobbits or Dwarves not be able to sail?

Well, as far as i remember they never did, most of them did not know how to swim either. Hobbits never had seen the see as Tolkien states at the beggining of LotR. So i believe that if there were races not to be able to board a ship, they should be in.

Frodo, Bilbo, Sam and Gimli made they boat trip after the War so out of our game time.