Sign in to follow this  
Teamjimby

Next Deluxe Expansion: The Grey Havens

Really excited about this expansion. I know almost nothing about the Grey Havens and it will be a blast to discovers a totally new region of the middle-earth. I not quite sure about the nautical theme and all the ships (cause it such a departure from the rest of the game), but it will probably turn out great and I hope it will bring some fresh air to the game. And we will finally get Cirdan, with an awesome 4 willpower and an interesting ability. Cannot wait to see what they will do with that cycle.

Edited by Cemetery Man

BEST THEME YET.

I was kind of expecting this to be the point where the theme went slightly downhill for my taste, because I love the Dunedain and didn't think anything could really top them, but Cirdan is one of my favourite characters and I'm right there with Matt Newman on the fascination of the Grey Havens. Oh, and then I read the part where we're going to the ruins of Numenor. On top of which it's all new and different stuff. So this is probably the high thematic point for me, because I really can't think of where they'd go next that would excite me this much, but obviously I've been proven wrong before...

Edited by PocketWraith

Who was complaining about a lack of high willpower spirit heroes the other day? :P

Cirdan is amazing. Providing spirit with card draw without even requiring an exhaust? With the rest of the current cycle supposedly supporting the Noldor discard mechanic, by the time Cirdan is released the discard requirement might actually be a positive, if it isn't already. And with his access to Elrond's counsel I don't even see his high threat cost as a downside.

Superb theme too. I applaud the designers!

I was really impressed by the GENCON quest.  I'm so happy to see that the creativity continues to flow in spades.  Very excited for this.  Also, somewhat terrified.  If a GM ever asks you "Do you get on the boat?" the answer should universally be "RUN AWAY!"

Man... wow... but my credit card is already hurting....  :wacko:

Don't worry, we are not even through half the current cycle, it will be ages until this box ;)

I hope so... it's announced for the end of this year, though. I'm thinking about stopping after the actual cycle and the saga boxes. I want to get Voice of Isengard and 2 AP (Celebrimor and the one with all the Ents), 'cause it's getting too expensive on the long run, and I also want to buy other games...

Breaks my heart, I LOVE this game... and after having 2 000+ cards, it gets a little overwhelming!...

Edited by Lecitadin

I love everything about this. Apart from Belegaer and enchanted islands, my hope for the player cards is that we get more focus on the artifact trait and we get our darn palantiri and magic rings. Other than that, I absolutely love the idea of a seafaring cycle and the art really does it justice.

Hey, lore guys. How do you think, do we have a chance to see Umbar in this cycle?

Well, as I understand it the deluxe expansions and cycle packs are supposed to take place between The Hobbit and the trilogy. So hypothetically if the year is around TA 2980 we could get Thorongil (Aragorn) as an objective-ally or something and witness the sack of Umbar.

A sailing theme is so perfect, and I love how they are making the ships objectives, almost like saga boons, so they don't mess up the card pool as a whole. This is the sort of on theme exploration that can bring in a wider audience, especially of Tolkien fans.

The long awaited Cirdan looks amazing. He has a kind of mini Erestor effect, card sifting more than card draw, but still fantastic given the role of uniques in the game (as well as Caldera synergy).

I am super pumped.

Hey, lore guys. How do you think, do we have a chance to see Umbar in this cycle?

Well, as I understand it the deluxe expansions and cycle packs are supposed to take place between The Hobbit and the trilogy. So hypothetically if the year is around TA 2980 we could get Thorongil (Aragorn) as an objective-ally or something and witness the sack of Umbar.

Actually the deluxes and cycles are set in the 17 years between Bilbo leaving the Shire on his 111th birthday, and Frodo leaving the Shire with the Ring.

In any case, Umbar is highly unlikely for this cycle, since Umbar is south from Gondor, while we're way northwest of Gondor at the Grey Havens. It'd be a bit of a long voyage.

Umbar is something we may see since there are corsairs ...

I am nearly certain we will get Cirdans ring, Narya, which will be able to attach either Cirdan or Gandalf. Also I guess we will get a Galdor Hero.

Since we are travelling to Numenor (paradise cannot be better than that, I almost cry) we might get something for Palantiri, to even better something like an artifact from Earendil or Elros ...

Actually the deluxes and cycles are set in the 17 years between Bilbo leaving the Shire on his 111th birthday, and Frodo leaving the Shire with the Ring.

Right, I wasn't sure. Haven't played past the first quest in Heirs of Númenor and the scenarios before that reveal little that could help us tell the time.

Just realised, with just one copy of Fair and Perilous, Cirdan attacks for 6. With two copies, he attacks for 10. (It doesn't seem to have a limit?)

Looking forward to Erestor + Cirdan decks. Start of your turn, draw 5, discard 1. And awesome with those Lindon Navigators, since you're essentially discarding card for two willpower (which is better than you get with Eowyn or Protector of Lorien).

Also Silver Wing looks awesome in a secrecy style deck. +1 attack on everyone and 3 lower starting threat is a ton of leeway.