Sign in to follow this  
Felswrath

Episode 7 Armada?

I would not expect an episode 7 announcement until around November 2015, about a month before Episode 7 theater release, with a release of Q2 or Q3 2016, probably Gencon 2016.  I doubt Armada will get a new Core set most likely just expansion packs.

I think one big thing that will determine if there is an Episode VII Armada set is how many capital ships will we see?  Remember that in Episode IV we only saw the Corvette and the ISD.  That would not have made a good Armada game.  ESB finally added the Neb-B and the Transport, but still, not a lot of variety.  Only Ep VI added real fleet elements.  Even so, most of out Imp ships are from EU sources.  Given the lack of EU for Ep VII that does not offer up a very satisfying fleet based game.

Now of course they could have a major fleet battle in Ep. VII and we could get an Armada game right away.  However, I have not seen anything hinting at fleet size battles.

There is a difference between using publicity to make money when something is hot and producing crap.  Many people just make any tie in crap they can, I don't see FFG doing that.  (Well, maybe a card game or something.)  If there are not enough ships shown in the movie, I doubt we will see an EP VII Armada game yet.

Thanks,

Duncan

Really the only new capital ships ROTJ introduced that I recall were the MC80 cruiser variants. the Braha'tok gunship, and the Tector Star Destroyer with the last two only being seen for a few seconds. Still it was the only movie in the OT to have a major fleet action on screen. Episode III was the only movie in the PT to have  major fleet action on screen even if we only saw a couple of minutes of the space battle. If episode VII breaks tradition and includes a fleet battle we might get a Ep VII Armada wave but I wouldn't count on it.

I think that FFG is using X-Wing as their gateway drug into miniatures. With a cheaper core and cheaper individual expansions it is an easier commitment for someone who just wants to test the waters. At least that's how it was for me. I hadn't played any miniatures game before X-Wing. Now after more money than I want to admit into X-Wing I'm just starting into Armada. 

So my thought is that FFG plans to use the marketing hype around Ep 7 primarily to get people into X-Wing and maybe some other stand alone Ep 7 game. No doubt that if there are Ep 7 ships that work well in Armada we will see them in Armada at some point, but it may be more like the Rebels stuff in X-Wing, released significantly after we see it on the screen. 

X-Wing is the FFG flagship. It is their highest selling line, both in money and volume. The X-Wing Homepage gets more hits per day than the Upcoming page and is second only to the actual homepage for the whole site.

I have also heard a rumor that any FFG Episode VII stuff will only be at Target for September 4th. Target has carried X-Wing core sets before. Perhaps the rumored 4 Episode 7 SKUs are what game store distributors will have available eventually and not what will be available on the 4th. We won't know for another week+.

Does Armada need saving? I saw a huge tournament at Gencon. Lots of events being run locally and regionally to me. It was the #3 top selling miniature game... does it need saving?

Haven't you heard? Armada is teetering...

I think that FFG is using X-Wing as their gateway drug into miniatures. With a cheaper core and cheaper individual expansions it is an easier commitment for someone who just wants to test the waters. At least that's how it was for me. I hadn't played any miniatures game before X-Wing. Now after more money than I want to admit into X-Wing I'm just starting into Armada. 

I agree that X-Wing is a great game for people who don't have miniature wargaming experience. It's also a refuge for people who've had too much and just want to take it easy.

Lucas made his millions on marketing Star Wars into merchandise, much more (I believe) than he made on the movies themselves. Disney, of course, sets the gold standard in doing the exact same thing, but then traditionally aimed at a much younger audience.

The Star Wars IP is going to be milked for all it's worth, and I'm sure Disney is suggesting FFG to dumb it down and make it even more accessible to increasingly younger and wider audiences. I don't think that FFG will do that, but it's much more likely to happen with X-Wing than it is with Armada. I think they'll protect Armada from that a bit longer, but at the same time, I'm sure they're going to try to strike the iron while it's hot.

I need to correct some things I've been purporting.

Rumor still stands that there are 4 total Episode VII FFG SKUs, however only one of them will be for sale on Force Friday. The others will be announced, whatever they are.

Sorry, I'm new here. What does "SKU" stand for?

Stock Keeping Unit.

1. SKU (stockkeeping unit, sometimes spelled "Sku") is an identification, usually alphanumeric, of a particular product that allows it to be tracked for inventory purposes. Typically, an SKU (pronounced with the individual letters or as SKYEW) is associated with any purchasable item in a store or catalog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_keeping_unit

I need to correct some things I've been purporting.

Rumor still stands that there are 4 total Episode VII FFG SKUs, however only one of them will be for sale on Force Friday. The others will be announced, whatever they are.

Sorry, I'm new here. What does "SKU" stand for?
The post above mine is informative, but I just wanted to add some things.

In the world of retail, every company assigns an alphanumeric number to each product. Most places call this a SKU (not all of them do). I'm just using SKU here because it is easiest. You can probably say model or product number. In this case, FFG has 4 individual products that tie into TFA if current rumors are to be trusted. FFG has likely assigned them all a number, and I'm sure each distributor has also assigned them a number. Big retailers will in turn assign them their own number. Smaller places like game stores probably don't have their own unique SKU system.

Anyhow, the number is how each company tracks the product in their internal systems.

Target uses DPCI (department, class, item). 000-00-0000 format. The first 3 are the same for everything in one department, say Toys. The next 2 are the same for everything in a class (division made up by Target), say action figures. The last 4 are unique to an individual item, within its class.

Home Depot uses SKU numbers that have no rhyme or reason. They had the format of 000-000 for a long time, but ran out of combinations (mostly because their huge online catalog was in the same system) so they had to add 0000 to the front to give them 0000-000-000. However, as I said, there is no real discernable rhyme or reason as to why something has a particular SKU.

FFG has a product code for all of their items. For example, the Armada Core Set is SWM01, the VSD is SWM02, the ISD is SW11. FFG typically continues to go up in product code numbers in order of when development started. Then sometimes things release out of order because things started later finish first and release before the others. This happened with a lot of X-Wing's non-wave releases like Epic Play ships and Aces packs.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling. I used SKU to simply indicate that FFG had 4 distinct products, according to rumor, that tie into the new movie.

I think I would rather get wave 2 first.

This however that being said I am starting to think Wave 3 would be nothing but Episode 7 stuff.

Perfectly acceptable IMO as long as it is unique to what we have. Even with 9 ships just re-shaping 2-4 of what we have will not bring the variations we need at this point in time.

X-Wing is more mature, so some miniatures with similar characteristics to existing will not be felt as sharply as it would for us.

I think I would rather get wave 2 first.

This however that being said I am starting to think Wave 3 would be nothing but Episode 7 stuff.

We shouldn't be surprised if it proves to be so.

Still, I'll be disappointed. There's still so much from the OT-era that they can come out with. It feels like if they go with TFA-era stuff, they won't come back to the OT.

At least with X-Wing, we've already gotten most everything worthwhile. They've been scraping the bottom of the barrel for a bit.

Maybe the 4th SKU is an epic Armada ship. I mean, what if the Star Destroyer in EP VII is two times the size of an ISD? Or three times?

This is highly speculative, since I don't think the new Star Destroyer is that big. The command deck might indicate that it's bigger than an ISD, though.

Maybe the 4th SKU is an epic Armada ship. I mean, what if the Star Destroyer in EP VII is two times the size of an ISD? Or three times?

This is highly speculative, since I don't think the new Star Destroyer is that big. The command deck might indicate that it's bigger than an ISD, though.

Or maybe its a new fighter pack with new xwings and ties :) doubt it but you never know!

Or maybe its a new fighter pack with new xwings and ties :) doubt it but you never know!

Well you may not actually be wrong. If we're only to get one Episode 7 pack now a fighter pack that could have both Rebel (Resistance) and Imperial (New Order) units and would allow for us to have as many fighters from wave 1 in wave 2 if this is some sort of early release.

I know 3 come from the gap on between the imperial assault carrier and the ghost on the X-Wing page. So my question is, where are people getting the 4th?

Direct talk between game stores and distributors has indicated there are 4 Episode 7 items, we don't know if they are all X-Wing or not. It is all still rumor though since they cannot be talked about in official capacity. Edited by rowdyoctopus

Unless there is alot more cap ships in episode 7, a non wave expansion pack, may be all we will get. As for them going back to do OT era ships, Star Wars Anthology, Rogue Squadron, is set pre episode 4, so I am hopeful we will see some classic ships featured on screen.