Sign in to follow this  
Felswrath

Episode 7 Armada?

By far one of the most discussed topics on this forum, so why not a little more? I, personally don't think we will be seeing Episode 7 Armada in the next wave or even two. My reasons for this are as follows: 1. X wing is gaining two new factions for Episode 7, the First Order and the Resistance. In all probability we will also be seeing these factions in Armada. With only 1 wave of expansions by September 4 I don't think we will already be seeing two new factions, I took X wing 5 waves before they even gained 1! 2. Even after wave two, Empire and Rebels will probably not be fleshed out enough for new factions. However, with an additional wave we could probably see Empire and Rebels fleshed out enough for new factions to be added. 3. This would then also allow for FFG to cash out on repainted cr90s and any other OT ships we see in the ST for the Resistance and the First Order. With this in mind, I think we will see Episode 7 ships no later than quarter 2 of 2017 before a wave for Episode 8 could be released.

FFG would be insane to not get Episode VII to the market as quickly as they can. The only thing that should delay Armada VII is that X-wing and IA are a higher priority. But within Armada, VII needs to come out as close to the movies as it can to make the most out of movie hype and advertising. It's not 100% clear x-wing has two entirely new factions (vs a subfaction or some other gimmick) (I may have missed the latest announcement). Even so, no reason Armada HAS to follow suit (although it would be odd if it didn't).

Christen pretty much said they were going to support Episode 7 in his Gen Con Inflight Report, but he couldn't say anything official due to the release dates imposed by Disney for the release of Board games and Toys.  

There are even leaked photos of the new X-wing start box that has the new style Tie and X-wing for Mini's.  I know its not Armada but if they are supporting Episode 7 X-wing they will most definitely support Episode 7 Armada

I hope they wait until after we get our ISDs in hand and preferably another wave before adding Episode 7 stuff, truthfully I would be glad if they just waited to release Episode 7 and 8 stuff at the same time to hype up the second film more rather than having one release and focusing back only on the Galactic Civil War. Though I may just be biased because I want a fleet of Imperial Dreadnaughts!

But the movie hype has the potential to bring in many more customers than they currently have. Most companies cater to the masses (where the money is) rather than making the die hards like us happy. Personally I too can wait for VII, but I expect FFG to act like a company and maximize profits.

I can see the argument that Episode 7 could save Armada, but I can't see it before Wave 2. We've got to see the Imp star destroyer and MC-80 first. I suppose a good way of determining when we may see Episode 7 Armada would be to examine when more factions were added to firestorm Armada. They do have more than 2 factions, right?

I think one big thing that will determine if there is an Episode VII Armada set is how many capital ships will we see?  Remember that in Episode IV we only saw the Corvette and the ISD.  That would not have made a good Armada game.  ESB finally added the Neb-B and the Transport, but still, not a lot of variety.  Only Ep VI added real fleet elements.  Even so, most of out Imp ships are from EU sources.  Given the lack of EU for Ep VII that does not offer up a very satisfying fleet based game.

Now of course they could have a major fleet battle in Ep. VII and we could get an Armada game right away.  However, I have not seen anything hinting at fleet size battles.

There is a difference between using publicity to make money when something is hot and producing crap.  Many people just make any tie in crap they can, I don't see FFG doing that.  (Well, maybe a card game or something.)  If there are not enough ships shown in the movie, I doubt we will see an EP VII Armada game yet.

Thanks,
Duncan

I don't know. Personally I think Armada is priced such that just about anyone who isn't that interested in it or are into something really casual won't take the plunge in for the price considering they could pick up something more casual or you know just buy the new x wing core set. And while I'm sure some if not most of us would buy a second episode 7 core set I kind of would be rather upset all things considered. I mean come on we just got our Core sets in what, March? Has something changed so much that we need a new one half a year after the initial release?

Plus tell me if everyone here wouldn't be a good deal upset having to wait so long for Wave 2 only to get Episode 7 stuff first? We need our ISDs darnit!

X-Wing is NOT getting two new factions.   FO ships will be in the empire faction and "resistance" ships will be in the Rebel faction.   It's pretty obvious to me at least. 

I'm really hoping that Armada gets something one Force Friday.   Gosh could you imagine a new starter?   I seriously doubt we'll see that atm though, because I think they want to seriously promote X-Wing right now.   We MIGHT see an announcement for something in 6 months, but it almost seems like we shoudl wait until episode 8 for an Armada game, because I have a feeling that Ep 7 won't feature huge space battles, but instead will be more focussed on the ground, with only small skirmishes of ships beaing featured.  

I think episode 8 will be the golden spot for Armada... (I mean, or 9, who knows...)

I can see the argument that Episode 7 could save Armada, but I can't see it before Wave 2. We've got to see the Imp star destroyer and MC-80 first. I suppose a good way of determining when we may see Episode 7 Armada would be to examine when more factions were added to firestorm Armada. They do have more than 2 factions, right?

Does Armada need saving? I saw a huge tournament at Gencon. Lots of events being run locally and regionally to me. It was the #3 top selling miniature game... does it need saving?

There might be more pictures around leaking more things.

If I had seen these pictures, I may have seen that X-Wing does not have 2 new factions. I may have also seen that the episode VII ships are subfactions that belong to the appropriate factions already in the game. I also could have possibly seen that X-Wing adopted the Learn to Play and Rules Reference model for rule books in the episode VII core set.

It would be interesting if pictures like this existed.

Rumor has it FFG has 4 SKUs for Episode 7 products. We know one of them due to leaks. We also know X-Wing has 3 unannounced SKUs between their Wave 7 and Wave 8. So it is possible 3 of the 4 are X-Wing.

That leaves 1. I would be shocked if that 1 was an Armada expansion. Though it would be hilarious if the new Space Wedge was released before the classic and iconic Space Wedge.

If I had seen these pictures, I may have seen that X-Wing does not have 2 new factions. I may have also seen that the episode VII ships are subfactions that belong to the appropriate factions already in the game. I also could have possibly seen that X-Wing adopted the Learn to Play and Rules Reference model for rule books in the episode VII core set.

I could have sworn that in the new X-wing starter set, the Resistance and New Order had new faction symbols. And didn't the astromech symbol change? My impression was that these new ships could not take old upgrades like R2-D2 or R5 astromech.

I could have sworn that in the new X-wing starter set, the Resistance and New Order had new faction symbols. And didn't the astromech symbol change? My impression was that these new ships could not take old upgrades like R2-D2 or R5 astromech.
If such things existed as mentioned in my previous post, you would probably need to keep looking as they appear to provide more information than the other hypothetical things you reference. Edited by rowdyoctopus

Forget episode 8! Star Wars Anthology, Rogue Squadron is due to hit next year! With only, (for now), the FOSD as far as capital ships in episode 7, I would expect FFG to bundle both episode 7 and Rogue Squadron caps and fighters into wave 3, possibly with a mix of OT ships to fill gaps,(I'm looking at you MC80 Winged Liberty!)

If such things existed as mentioned in my previous post, you would probably need to keep looking as they appear to provide more information than the other hypothetical things you reference.

I looked at the pics again; I had assumed that the upgrade card to the right of BB-8 was supposed to be the symbol for astromechs which is probobly wrong. However, the contents list credits the fighters as First Order Tie Fighters and an Resistance X-wing. Additionally the side discription says, "Players control fighters from either the Resistance or the First Order...." Does this mean that they re new factions, or is It just a selling point? I suppose we'll just have to wait for the 4th like all the other good little geeks.

If such things existed as mentioned in my previous post, you would probably need to keep looking as they appear to provide more information than the other hypothetical things you reference.

I looked at the pics again; I had assumed that the upgrade card to the right of BB-8 was supposed to be the symbol for astromechs which is probobly wrong. However, the contents list credits the fighters as First Order Tie Fighters and an Resistance X-wing. Additionally the side discription says, "Players control fighters from either the Resistance or the First Order...." Does this mean that they re new factions, or is It just a selling point? I suppose we'll just have to wait for the 4th like all the other good little geeks.

We have seen pictures of the rules that link the Resistance to the Rebels and the First Order to the Imperials. 

These are not the pictures you are looking for.

The First Order and the Resistance are subfactions that are aligned with the Empire and Rebellion respectively. That means you can mix classic ships and sequel trilogy ships. This information is out there if you know where to look for it.

With regards to EpVII ships for Armada, I'm fairly certain we won't see them until before Wave II. Maybe Wave III but my hunch is it'll come after.