Sign in to follow this  
jcikal

Petiton for FFG to increase COC's monthly card count from 40 to 60 cards for a few $ more of course

This is a petition for FFG to increase the card count on the monthly LCG packs for COC from 40 to 60 like the MTG (Magic the Gathering) deck themed sets which have 60 cards and sell at $14.99.  So following the same mentality, since the new card art (which is where the major expense is anyways) would increase by half (10 new cards more which is 1/2 of the 20 new cards being included now), would you feel ok with paying 4.99 more (1/2 of the current 9.99 now) for 10 new cards more on each pack, each month? The other 10 cards (to bring the total card count to 60 would come from 10 extra duplicated cards).

I feel that COC is growing at a snail's pace compared with AGOT (Game of Thrones) and it is kind of frustrating that there are roughly less than 500 LCG cards to go around and build decks from.  If COC could only increase the monthly card count, that would bring it from the current 240 cards per year (20x12months) to 360 (30x12).  Along with the increased monthly count, it would also be great if FFG could release at least 2 big packs (60 new cards) every year (1 big expansion every 6 months) like they are doing with AGOT (and hopefully will also do with Warhammer Invasion).

What do you think?  And please no flaming, this is just a suggestion for a game that I feel it's being left behind the other LCG games, or at least it feels that way anyway.  1,500 new cards (counting the CCG and LCG together) is a very low count for a game that 's been out since 2004, as compared to AGOT which has approx 3,500 new cards with the CCG & LCG combined.  I really want to get into the game since the mechanics grab my attention and the times I've played it, I really enjoy it but don't want to commit to something that will be put out to pasture in 1 or 2 years from now.

How committed is FFG to this game? You can see AGOT and Warhammer are on the front of the lines, but COC seems to be dragging behind.  I also enjoy the Warhammer Invasion mechanics, since they are also unique as is the one for COC, but I'm waiting to see what kind of support is given to the game from FFG in terms of number of new cards per year (and 240 is a very low count, whereas AGOT is almost at 500 cards this year, which should be the standard number of cards being released for a well-supported game in the LCG format).

I wish FFG would say something regarding this issue, at least as it relates to COC.

I'm fine with the pace they've been bringing out the APs, and mostly, the size of them. I'd prefer 20x3 = 60 instead of 10x1 10x3, then I could get a full play set without any extras, which I won't do, as I am as casual a player as you will find. The monthly releases give you time to build the new ideas in the AP into your decks, without overwhelming you, and always having you waiting for that next little bit of goodness that's coming in the next AP.

FFG has a formula and a pace which seems to be working.  They are (and should be) supporting GoTLCG more heavily because it generates more revenue than CoCLCG.   FFG has proven their committment by transitioning CoC from a 100% DEAD CCG to the LCG format.  If I were FFG's decision maker I wouldn't waste ten seconds reading such a petition from the CoC crowd, much less an hour responding thoughtfully to it.    

Please buy the core set and start having fun, don't let analysis paralysis rob you of that.  You would not regret it. 

Chick

I just picked up the core set and thats all I can find. I was surprised to find it in the first place anyways.

Also comparing it to the MTG Intro packs is faulty, as the intro packs contain at least 20+ land cards, which anyone who plays magic already has 300+ of.

I'm not found of your petition ... and don't want to flame anything, don't get me wrong !

Like Chicklewis already said (better than I'll ever explain), this game was dead two years ago ... And this format allowed FFG to keep on going with producing it. That's sweet and I don't want to see the game sinking.

First, the game had a nice pool in the 2004 days, with a rate that followed what was designed for FFG's others games. But it did'nt reach it's public this way. LCG way started in better conditions and you caén see that the first AP's are now out of sale. We nowhave a Core Set and AP's and maybe some others stuffs in the futur. Remember this game is not a commercial one and is more like a niche game compared to AGOT or WI.

I don't care having x6 spares copies of some cards. I use them to give the new players a chance to discover the game with decks based on the x3 copies. This game cost a lot less than what I paid for MtG before. And the theme is increasing, like picture quality and mecanisms do. So why not goign on this way ???

The path used to bring us AP is nice (one every 2-3 months) and we now own enough cards in the pool to build differents strategies. So why whining about the way to AP are build ? You are able to increase a card pool consistenly with the x3 copies of a card in only one AP.

In case you want everything in a collection option, it only depens on your completism feelings...

I like it the way it is.

Yeah, it's fallen behind Thrones and will probably be behind Warhammer in a couple years as far as card count goes, but FFG has not quit on this game and they could have.  If it had not become an LCG I would never have gotten a chance to play. It brought a few new players in locally for casual play at a FLGS. For me personally, more cards does not mean more money to spend on them. My budget's tight, but I can manage a deck or two regularly.

Well, I'm going to sign the petition. There's nothing wrong with telling FFG we want more cards. I want more cards. I'm sure if economics had been different, FFG would have been thrilled to give us a third or fourth block of over 500 cards distributed with random rares and uncommons. And had that model still need be abandoned for philosophical reasons, we could still move upward from the current 120 card sets. Less cards is just not better. Some may say they can afford this commitment best. And of course, that's exactly why we're here, at a slimmed down game. Still, why we had to nuke black borders into oblivion still bothers me deeply. So hear hear, twenty more cards, sure. I say 120 more cards. Now, 240, that's a set! Inserted rares please!

The white border petition was rancorous. We could say we're asking or suggesting or giving feedback. Be it petition or pleading, we all know what civil boards looks like. Bring on more thoughtful suggestion for more call of cthulhu cards! We know Thrones has a nifty second core mini box (correct?). I lament its coming and the realignment of more of my wonderful classic rares. 240 cards per set makes for richer mechanic choices. More gugs and zoogs and dreamers and day night cards. The old 535 card block would serve dreamlands better. There's a whole world to cover. We'll get our silver key as promised and white ship probably and hopefully many more classic nuggets. And I miss promos.

I have to fall into the "leave it as it is" camp.  I like the current distribution method for the asylum packs, and I think the card spread is adequate.  And I have to second the comments regarding the LCG format getting them into this game.  It is a great game which I enjoy more with each play.  But I would never have given it a try in its old CCG format.  However, I would like to see big box expansions similar to those being produced for AGOT, but shorter term I would love to see "deluxe" domain markers - similar to the resin house cards for AGOT.  I upgraded my game pieces with the bag of cthulu, and would also love small resin skulls to replace the cardboard wound markers.

There is a voice for box expansions here. Those without CCG cards deserve another box of reprints. But why not want a box of new cards instead? That way all of us get to enjoy a new cthulhu experience.

The LCG AP cycle is a fine structure. It will certainly be the format going forward. I'm still playing mixed border myself.

i really dont think more cards is such a good idea. look at the mess of typos and such at the pace they are at now, and speeding that up will probably make things worse. what id like to see is a box set expansion with reprints and a new (not brought back day/night mech) like dual faction cards or something like that, not anything junk like conspiracies.

one thing id really like to see is the missing named stuff that we lost. even if they redesign the cards ability. we need yig, dexter ward, nyral, a necronomicon, dunwich horror, etc etc. so many of the classic stuff, and some that took a long time to see are gone now.

im really quite happy with the current card release amount. we might not have many cards right now but since the game is starting over thats to be expected. the card pool will grow again.

If you will form a front demanding more cards from FFG, I will definitely stand up defending the existing status quo. We get enough of cards. If you guys do not remember what the LCG revolution was about, read again the introducing statement about LCG from the FFG guys.

More cards means more committment, not more typos I would hope. All new Necronomicons and the like for LCG would be grand.  Another Core would knock out many of them. I like the all new MU Clarney FFG promises us. Repeats of classics has high potential. There's only so much room in 20 cards. For all the complexity of attributes of all 20 in an Asylum Pack, they're very locked in. Thematically they do break those bounds.  A celebration deck totally wacky ousides the lines would be great. Sixty card Scooby Do Mythos, 40 Card Rosemanry's Baby Mythos. For me, no matter how many ways we cut it, we do need more cards. The rate is breakneck and alive, but at twenty, it's teaspoons full.

count me in to the "leave it as it is right now" camp.

i had my doubts first, but finally i got around and came to like the new system. big plus: its not that difficult for new players to join with a cardpool like this.

on the other hand, the LCG cardpool is big enough for a competitive tourney environment.

It only makes sense that the majority here favor the new environment. This is its boards after all. Even if the CCG boards were still up, there'd just be old farting dinosaurs, tumbleweeds, and cobwebs posting. LCG is current. LCG discussion and discovery of the cards is just now happening. For card gaming, such is vital. The enthusiasm is the engine. It is harder for me to understand longtime loyalists arguing that they favor the new system. For the above reasons, certainly. Twenty new cards regularly is something I look forward to enthusiastically. And to participate in the game with new players discovering the core, to watch a Shocking T or Deep One come out like an old photo of a college girlfriend, that's cool too. What escapes me is the logic of wanting ones favorite game to contract violently because that's all one really wanted to afford investing. I say nay to, "I don't want to participate to get more, and I want the smaller card pool to not lose pace." Though I prefer the rare, uncommon, common structure (obviously), I'm really just talking about more cards. Hard to argue the rich kid deck. The more substantial release deck, though, is just the better choice. Call it unreasonable or unrealistic, call it greedy or existential or divisive or a waste. Call it what you will. I just don't think we do have enough nor will for a long time have enough of a card pool. And relying on future cores to flesh us out is like offering Norman Bates' mother aloe cream and a glass of water.

we have more cards already then when AE came out. by the time this dreamlands cycle is done we'll be back where AE and UT left us. i think lcg has plenty of cards for a 'new' game and the card pool is growing at a fair pace. its all good. i honestly like the 120 cards over 6 months and knowing ill have a complete set rather than 145 cards dropped all at once every 6 months and have to go rare chasing.

One play set of an AP cycle is three of each of the six AP. Eighteen Asylum Packs is $180 for a 120 card play set.

One booster box once netted 125 of 145 cards, 30 of 50 rares and play sets of C and mostly all UC for $80 and up.

If not for rare chasing, the outlay for CCG compares very well with that of LCG. I thought rare chasing was the gosh darn greatest thing. Still do. I'm a card collector. I agree that the serialized format keeps my interest and feels more economical each purchase. Asylum Packs are some of the greatest fun things in life. But it yields fewer cards and, contrary to perception, is not more economical.

Dreamlands concludes at 280 new LCG cards (plus Clarney and Anthropology Advisor...). Arkham Edition began with 240. That does look comparable. It still seems lean looking forward at 120 cards next year.

johnny shoes said:

One play set of an AP cycle is three of each of the six AP. Eighteen Asylum Packs is $180 for a 120 card play set.

One booster box once netted 125 of 145 cards, 30 of 50 rares and play sets of C and mostly all UC for $80 and up.

If not for rare chasing, the outlay for CCG compares very well with that of LCG. I thought rare chasing was the gosh darn greatest thing. Still do. I'm a card collector. I agree that the serialized format keeps my interest and feels more economical each purchase. Asylum Packs are some of the greatest fun things in life. But it yields fewer cards and, contrary to perception, is not more economical.

Dreamlands concludes at 280 new LCG cards (plus Clarney and Anthropology Advisor...). Arkham Edition began with 240. That does look comparable. It still seems lean looking forward at 120 cards next year.

I think that comparison is seriously flawed. The cards that only come with a single copy in each AP are the 'rares' of the LCG.

So either you'll have to compare the price of three of each of the six AP with three of each of every card in a CCG set (i.e. including three copies of every rare) or you have to compare the price of one of each of the six AP with a booster box (+ the price for one copy of every rare card not in the box).

Neither comparison ends up with the CCG being more economical.

well rerpints still count as part of the lcg card pool and that puts it at 315 cards before the dreamlands cycle. and all things considered we are on the 2nd cycle in the same year. so if the pace keeps up that will probably lead to somewhere around 10-12 packs a year, 200-240 cards a year. not to shabby at all.

i must add that i bought 2 boxes of FR and didnt get one mist of releh. i had to trade for a uc, just to complete the set. there were other uc i had a hard time getting playsets of and they werent even the great cards. just werent in the boxes. also $80 is a very unfair pricing. retail was $125 i believe and mostly ended paying somewhere around $100 a box.

lcg beats ccg in just about everyway, unless you like spending as much of your money as possible.

Rare chasing is its own animal. And completing a set of uncommons takes a little work. The first effort makes CCG far more expensive than LCG. The second, not so much. Without those cards you don't have a complete set, granted. But you have most of the cards. And the collectors have their playing field.

Reprints do count as LCG and do expand the card pool considerably. But I'm arguing that the new experience is fresh only due to the AP, and that the cores are like - what did I facetiously write the other day - giving Norman Bates' mom some aloe and a glass of water. The core is a crutch that provides ghosts of games past. It's like putting on a spare tire and driving cross country on it. It's like wearing a nylon shirt under an armani suit. It's like serving dinner on dirty plates. It's like cleaning the kitchen with a bathroom sponge. Ok, I'm getting a little wacky here. I'm making the point that LCG, though has tons of core cards, is fun and vital to me only because of the new cards.

$60 for an arc is not in dispute. $30 nets you 3 X 60 commons + $30 nets you 1 X 60 rares. commons 17 cents, rares 50 cents.

Booster boxes did cost as much as $125. Notice I wrote $80 and up. That cost was standard to find.

So, my case is indeed flawed. But with 3/5 of the rares, 9/10 of an uncommon play set, and a larger release, not to mention base set 240s, the CCG format was more flush and did indeed compare favorably per cost.

And will it be two arcs per year? Likely two arcs per 18 months, no? I forget.

ill agree the coreset doesnt offer much new but even for older players it has something. i was the only person in our group that had 2 doa, in fact i dont think the other guys even had one, if they did i never saw it played. the one guy bought boxes of AE to get gugs and only has one to show for it, same story for that guy with scotophobia. so the coreset gives everyone a chance to use some of the best cards of the past, which i think is something. how can you play cthulhu without doa??? but sadly that was the case for many in ccg.

i dont miss the days of ccg at all, the game is still here and i think its just as fun as ever. i do miss some cards but ill live. "mi-go worker how i miss thee"

No need to miss Mi-Go Worker if mixed border were made current as an alternative to LCG. Why can't they get along? But I'm sounding overdone and cyclical.

It's a troubler - Deep One Assaults for all or work very very hard and treasure and earn your four Deep One Assaults. Good people feel strongly one way and the other and the rest are each one divided on the matter.