Sign in to follow this  
Viratin

AFmkII Makeover!

So, I decided to modify my AFmkII before painting it. What I did was really simple, but I like the look of it a whole lot more now. Basically, I just removed the spire-like section that hangs underneath (seriously, that thing looks like a strange cancerous dangly-bit to me, totally doesn't' fit with the rest of this sleek model). The second issue I had was that the mass of the entire thing has a crescent curve shape, going from a medium resting nose, up along that curved body, and then sharply down following the lines of the wing/tail sections. In order to balance it out and make it feel a bit more sleek, I reversed the rear wing/tail section. This helps to off-balance the downward stroke of the forward wings, and "straighten" the body lines of the ship a bit.

Now I just gotta figure out how I want to paint it. The paint is nice on these things as is, don't get me wrong. But if I'm going to convert it and make it look unique, it should have a unique paint job as well. Any ideas for the paint?

RhSMyLw.jpg

I like it! It's a giant X-Wing :) Is there a gap left on the bottom from removal of the bottom piece?

I was thinking about the Zentraedi color scheme (from Macross/Robotech) for the Assault Frigates and Mon Cals, but I want my fleet to match and I don't think the CR-90 or Neb-B make passable Zentraedi ships...

I like it! It's a giant X-Wing :) Is there a gap left on the bottom from removal of the bottom piece?

Yes there is, but it actually just looks like a hangar, like how the VSD has, so it totally works!

It's very easy. The lower portion can literally be pulled out, and the tail can be pulled off of the peg it's on. The peg has a flat top side (which is what keeps it from turning), so you just cut a flat portion on the lower side of the peg. That'll let you put the tail on upside down. It honestly took me about ten minutes to figure out how to do what I want to do, and then do it.

Good work, mate.  Having just finished some conversions of my own I came to a pretty similar conclusion: the dangly bit sensor suite needs an operation, the gap looks a ton like a VSD's ventral hangar bay, and the negative space at the croop of the RAF feels really incomplete.  I saw an awesome diagram somewhere online of an elongated back that got rid of the negative space with just an extension of the main body and it looks terrific, so I'm of the opinion that it's one of the big things holding the aesthetic back. 

I like your take on it and I'll second NewTroski completely.  The big X-wing look is great and fills the void, while a Macross colour scheme could really work.  That said, I feel like the only one in the world who had a ton of trouble getting that tail fin off (I broke two exacto blades on it, and something like eleven total).

I'll get pictures of it all around when I paint it. Still trying to figure out what colors to do! 

Having the bridge on one side sorta makes sense for a capital ship, actually. That way you can circle your opponent and hit them with your broadside, while keeping your bridge on the opposite side of your bulk. Of course, that opens you up to flanking somewhat terribly.

^ Seconded for "show the back"  :lol:  ...I'm also curious if it needs painting after the modification, for those of us who are less paint skilled/inclined.  This may incline me to get one of these, with the change in appearance.