Sign in to follow this  
eliteone

Things You Wish You Knew Before Your First Game

1)  No, Ships only move forward.

2) Immediately.  Which means you can pin down/kill enemy squadrons before they get a chance to activate.

3) Yes.  Destroyed is Destroyed, you get points for Destroyed.  No running away!

4) The 3x6 Area is the play area for Ships...  I mean, my local LGS only has 3.5' tables , so we slam 2 together, and end up using unused portions of the map for cards...  But nominally, those cards would have to be moved if a Ship or Squadron flew there, as it is the play area for Ships.

Kinda latching on to what Steve said, but make sure you know how the defense tokens work as well.  It might sound a little patronizing, but I was using them wrong for maybe 2-3 games just from not being careful about the wording for order (IE, Brace+Evade on 2 damage doesn't halve, then remove the damage.  Evade removes 1 die result and Brace halves the total damage that's left.  That and you can only use one of each defense per attack made against you). 

If you read the rule book (not just the learning book, but the 'golden rule book' like Drasnighta said) carefully, you really should be okay.  If not, you've got the forum here for ya' and a whole section dedicated to rule conundrums and the like, and a lot of helpful folk.  Oh, and welcome aboard mate. :)

Throwing in with both of these jokers, you should just keep the rules reference guide open to the attack resolution explanation for the entire first game. The timing is simple to read but potentially difficult to implement. Some things are arguably counter-intuitive, such as assigning an accuracy after a reroll.

Hi everyone, thank you all so much for the wonderful responses. 

My friend and I had a blast playing the game. We managed to get three in, one using the learning scenario, and slowly added more stuff in like upgrade cards objective cards/obstacles, built our way up to a 300 point game. The games were a ton of fun even though we were constantly checking the rules and rules reference for things. A few questions did come up that we couldn't find answers to, I will search the forums and also wanted to post them here:

1. Can a ship execute a maneuver backwards? I.e., go in reverse with it's current speed, along the maneuver tool? I said no, that wouldn't make sense. You can't have forward momentum of X, and just decide to reverse course; my friend brought up the point what if you decreased speed to 0 - full stop, and then wanted to go in reverse? 

2. When your command dial reveals Squadron, and a player has squadrons in range, the squadrons can move & attack if the player chooses to resolve, however do you activate and resolve their actions immediately after the command dial is placed or do those squadrons wait for the squadron phase but now can perform both actions?

3. If a ship maneuvers off the play area, it gets destroyed - does your opponent collect the points from the destroyed ship if it's destroyed in this way? 

4. Finally, the 3'x6' play area - does the 6' include the space for cards and tokens, etc? It felt like the first two rounds were just getting up to speed to engage or attempt objectives. 

Thanks again everyone for such a fantastic welcome to this community. 

~e1

#2 only here, as the above beat me to it.

You reveal the command.

Immediately decide to use it or take the token, if you use the dial you must now add a token if you're going to use it.

Your fighters activate off the command dial/token one squadron at a time, move then attack or attack and then move.

Your ship fires and then moves.

Get the updated FAQ from this site. The rules are actually very clear but unfortunately old X-Wing players sometimes fall into the trap of thinking mechanics like using crit results work the same as in  X-Wing, forget what you know!

I am so utterly, utterly disapointed in you.

You missed a perfect oppertunity to tell a new player that he must unlearn what he has learned.

4. Finally, the 3'x6' play area - does the 6' include the space for cards and tokens, etc? It felt like the first two rounds were just getting up to speed to engage or attempt objectives. 

This sounds a bit like you might be setting up on the short ends.  Set up is along the 6' length, not the 3' length.  So the play area is twice and wide as it is across.  Hopefully that is clear.

Thanks,

Duncan

Get the updated FAQ from this site. The rules are actually very clear but unfortunately old X-Wing players sometimes fall into the trap of thinking mechanics like using crit results work the same as in  X-Wing, forget what you know!

I am so utterly, utterly disapointed in you.

You missed a perfect oppertunity to tell a new player that he must unlearn what he has learned.

Forgive me, Master

:)

If you read the rule book (not just the learning book, but the 'golden rule book' like Drasnighta said) carefully, you really should be okay.  If not, you've got the forum here for ya' and a whole section dedicated to rule conundrums and the like, and a lot of helpful folk.  Oh, and welcome aboard mate. :)

Could of sworn the rules say you may use one or more defense token just not two of the same type. So you can brace and redirect. But not brace then brace

Could of sworn the rules say you may use one or more defense token just not two of the same type. So you can brace and redirect. But not brace then brace

Yes, and you can even "Evade" at medium range, wait to see what the Reroll does, and then decide wether you use another Defense token...

Nope, you've got it right mate.  "That and you can only use one of each defense per attack made against you" as in, no two Braces or two Evades, but you could use one Brace, one Evade, one Redirect and heck, one Contain when that comes out.  :) 

Dras's quite right on that point too, and so is Drunktarkin... with the proviso that you're not as bone-headed as I am, and actively require keeping that page open well past the first game into the second, third... fourth.... fifth.  In fact, I should get it photocopied.

Edited by Vykes

This sounds a bit like you might be setting up on the short ends.  Set up is along the 6' length, not the 3' length.  So the play area is twice and wide as it is across.  Hopefully that is clear.

Thanks,

Duncan

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. Yes. This was happening. 

For me, its take stock of how big the board is, How fast things like Ships move (Relatively Slow!), and the (relatively!) short Range that things actually HAPPEN at, especially when taken into consideration how big the Board ends up being (for a regular game at 300pts).

Also, the single biggest change from Real Game vs Learning Game.

In the Learning Game (180pts), as presented, you CHANGE WHO IS FIRST PERSON EVERY TURN.

In the REAL GAME.  You *DO NOT*.  * DO NOT *.  * DO NOT *.

First Player Remains First Player, with the Advantages Gained for being first player, which is -OFT- offset by the Second Player getting the Bigger Bonus on Objectives.

This is very misleading. You change initiative in the learning game because there are no objectives or turn limit.

In a real game, the option is there to not use objectives. If you don't use objectives YOU DO change first player each turn and there is no turn limit.

Tournament play uses objectives and 6 turn limit and most people choose to play that way, it doesn't stop the Deathmatch from being a real game.

For me, its take stock of how big the board is, How fast things like Ships move (Relatively Slow!), and the (relatively!) short Range that things actually HAPPEN at, especially when taken into consideration how big the Board ends up being (for a regular game at 300pts).

Also, the single biggest change from Real Game vs Learning Game.

In the Learning Game (180pts), as presented, you CHANGE WHO IS FIRST PERSON EVERY TURN.

In the REAL GAME.  You *DO NOT*.  * DO NOT *.  * DO NOT *.

First Player Remains First Player, with the Advantages Gained for being first player, which is -OFT- offset by the Second Player getting the Bigger Bonus on Objectives.

This is very misleading. You change initiative in the learning game because there are no objectives or turn limit.

In a real game, the option is there to not use objectives. If you don't use objectives YOU DO change first player each turn and there is no turn limit.

Tournament play uses objectives and 6 turn limit and most people choose to play that way, it doesn't stop the Deathmatch from being a real game.

Well, what I presented was the Rules as presented in the book.

The Deathmatch with unlimited turns and flipping of Initiative is, indeed, a valid "Optional" Rule.  But Optional nonetheless.

I have 2 questions. 

1. when you spend an accuracy to remove a defense token, is it unusable for just that ships attack or is it unsable for the entire round. so if ship #2 attacks would the evade that ship #1 removed be available or not.

2. with assault concussion missiles, if i roll 4 crits do the adjacent shields take 4 damage or just 1 damage.

I have 2 questions. 

1. when you spend an accuracy to remove a defense token, is it unusable for just that ships attack or is it unsable for the entire round. so if ship #2 attacks would the evade that ship #1 removed be available or not.

2. with assault concussion missiles, if i roll 4 crits do the adjacent shields take 4 damage or just 1 damage.

1.) Just that attack

2.) Just 1 damage per hull zone. The only thing multiple crit results are good for is ensuring your opponent can't evade the critical effect away.

Edited by Tvayumat