Sign in to follow this  
barriecritzer

Palpatine on a shuttle

Who has played against someone running palpatine on the shuttle?

I have run him on a decimator and it worked pretty well, just curious if people who have flown against him on a shuttle ignored the shuttle or tried to kill it first

I've done it once.  Given I lost the game, so I might not have the best experience to listen to.  But I would ignore it personally.  Sure, it grants Fel a minimum of 2 evades (token + palp), and realistically at least a 3rd from dice, and more from focus spending.  And in a 1on2 situation, I think you need to go for the shuttle.  But the same thing as usual is true - the more guns you focus on the ship you're trying to kill, the faster you kill it.  If you have 3 3 attack ships trained on Fel, chances are you're doing 1-2 damage, likely crits.  And you have a pretty good chance of killing him that turn or the next.  If you have the same guns trained in on a shuttle, you've probably brought down his shields, and still have a pretty decent chance of killing him the next turn...

But what's more scary afterwards - a full health Fel, or a Palpatine shuttle?  Once you're behind the shuttle, he'll ignore 1 damage a turn, and you'll do 1-2 damage from your 3 dice attack, more if you have 2 ships still alive.  Sure it'll take awhile, but you'll eventually kill it  Meanwhile, Fel will continue to evade stuff and arc dodge, and has a high probability of never getting hurt.

So, go for the ship using Palpy first.  A Decimator is a different story because it itself is a threat.

I have run him on a decimator and it worked pretty well, just curious if people who have flown against him on a shuttle ignored the shuttle or tried to kill it first

Check out this episode from my Webshow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYrZ5nQMQbs

Put the wings down!

I've flown it twice. The first time, I put APLs on the shuttle and teamed it with Colzet and Rexlar. Then last week at league, I ran a Lone Wolf Vader and a Stealthed Soontir.

I still have yet to lose a game when Palpatine's been on the board. I'm probably somehere between 12-0 and 15-0 when he's been on my list. TLTs and the new bombs may change that.

I played a list with the new vader, soontir and the palpmobile.

I was running Rexler and Boba both with HLC.  I took out vader first, and then soontir.  The guy conceded after he only had the shuttle left with Boba behind him which would have been gone in a couple of rounds anyway.

I was running Rexler and Boba both with HLC.  I took out vader first, and then soontir.  The guy conceded after he only had the shuttle left with Boba behind him which would have been gone in a couple of rounds anyway.

So this guy ran both ps9 Vader and ps9 soontir into ps8 hlc?yeah that sounds like even the emperor couldn't help him...unless you were running vi?

So this guy ran both ps9 Vader and ps9 soontir into ps8 hlc?yeah that sounds like even the emperor couldn't help him...unless you were running vi?

I had the following:

Rexler+Predator+HLC+Stealth Device

Boba+VI+HLC+Rebel Captive.

He took down Rexler first but not until Vader had some hurt on him.  Boba did the rest.  I was TLing with Boba to maximize hit power.

He took the list to a Store Wars event and placed 3rd I think with it.  I wasn't at the event.  I like Palpatine but just think it is a waste to put him on a shuttle.  Once his support is dea he is just a sitting duck.  Best counter to this kind of list is HLCx2.

Imo, flying the palpmobile to avoid engagement is a waste of 21 points. Yes he still works at unlimited range, but it means your other 71 points of typically arc dodgers are flying straight at the enemy. Maybe they live, maybe they don't. In either case, that initial joust is the most risky engagement for you for the whole match.

I tend to fly my shuttle with EU slow, but directly at the enemy formation. The trick of it is flying it in such a way where you survive the initial joust, usually through carefully planned bumping, while positioning the flankers to engage on the same turn. Your opponent gets to shoot at the scary shuttle (ignoring your flankers), and you get to contribute to the fight with the ogp while soaking up the hits. Next round you move as far as you can away with the shuttle (3 straight + boost on a large ship = a small ship's 5 straight and boost, and range 2) and start turning around. The turn around takes 3-4 turns, but still contributes with the emperor. Then the most dangerous part of the fight for your flankers is over and the furball has begun.

Again though, its about multi-round planning to ensure the shuttle doesn't go boom. For example, if I was flying against the rexler and boba list above, I'd slow my advance as much as possible. My typical opening move is 0-stop so I can assess what the opponent's plan is. Then, right before the initial engagement, I would position myself directly infront of the defender to cause a collision. The defender is ideal because a small ship can be cleared using the 2 straight/bank (3 banks are red on the shuttle). This way 50% of the fire is mitigated on the shuttle. The defender can k-turn next round, but the shuttle's 2 bank + boost is outside of range3 for the HLC. But at this point, the flankers should be on the scene.

Obviously every situation is going to be different. Things change. Does it guarantee victory? of course not, just an alternate strategy instead of flying the palpmobile non-aggressively.  

Again though, its about multi-round planning to ensure the shuttle doesn't go boom. For example, if I was flying against the rexler and boba list above, I'd slow my advance as much as possible. My typical opening move is 0-stop so I can assess what the opponent's plan is. Then, right before the initial engagement, I would position myself directly infront of the defender to cause a collision. The defender is ideal because a small ship can be cleared using the 2 straight/bank (3 banks are red on the shuttle). This way 50% of the fire is mitigated on the shuttle. The defender can k-turn next round, but the shuttle's 2 bank + boost is outside of range3 for the HLC. But at this point, the flankers should be on the scene.

Obviously every situation is going to be different. Things change. Does it guarantee victory? of course not, just an alternate strategy instead of flying the palpmobile non-aggressively.  

As a variation on setting your opening move to 0, consider setting up the shuttle (or Decimator) at a 45-degree angle in a corner, then deploying one of your small-based ships in such a way to force a crash on the opening move. Same general effect as setting a speed-0 maneuver, but you don't take the stress token. It frees you up to bank left or right to engage on your next move, or even set a speed 0 maneuver on the 2nd round to delay the shuttle's launch even further.

Imo, flying the palpmobile to avoid engagement is a waste of 21 points. Yes he still works at unlimited range, but it means your other 71 points of typically arc dodgers are flying straight at the enemy. Maybe they live, maybe they don't. In either case, that initial joust is the most risky engagement for you for the whole match.

I tend to fly my shuttle with EU slow, but directly at the enemy formation. The trick of it is flying it in such a way where you survive the initial joust, usually through carefully planned bumping, while positioning the flankers to engage on the same turn. Your opponent gets to shoot at the scary shuttle (ignoring your flankers), and you get to contribute to the fight with the ogp while soaking up the hits. Next round you move as far as you can away with the shuttle (3 straight + boost on a large ship = a small ship's 5 straight and boost, and range 2) and start turning around. The turn around takes 3-4 turns, but still contributes with the emperor. Then the most dangerous part of the fight for your flankers is over and the furball has begun.

You're absolutely right.  I flew a 70 point list with a 29 point die modification.  It is a powerful ability, but given the chance to play the same lists again I'd do it completely differently.

Maybe you weren't even talking about my video... does that make me conceited? Probably.  Point being, I lost the match in that above video because I did exactly what you say, and avoided engagement with the emperor completely.

Put the wings down!

Espcially with the Emporer on board.... you rebel scum

You're absolutely right.  I flew a 70 point list with a 29 point die modification.  It is a powerful ability, but given the chance to play the same lists again I'd do it completely differently.

Maybe you weren't even talking about my video... does that make me conceited? Probably.  Point being, I lost the match in that above video because I did exactly what you say, and avoided engagement with the emperor completely.

I'm hearing the emperor's voice saying something about the apprentice learning or some such.....I love the int+vader+palp list. The key to the list, IMO, is to use the shuttle's gun (it is a must!) and to even make it an option for your opponent to shoot at it. You don't want them to just obliterate it in one turn, of course, but done right,your interceptor and vader get superior positioning that wins the game in the long run, even if the shuttle is lost.

On the other hand, I do need to run this list against TLTs because I don't think it will do as well.

I haven't had a chance to watch the vid yet. I was actually referencing how I've seen the palpmobile flown on numerous occasions so you're not alone. Everyone's instinct seems to be to protect the emperor the best they can, whether it be on a giant 16 hull ship or on a distant shuttle that everyone knows dies easy.  

I played against it at a tournament this past weekend. It was Palpmobile with sensor jammer, and kitted Vader and Marek. I was running a Howl Obsidian swarm with Zertik Strom as great defense and freeish crit offense. Right as he turned Palp into me, in the middle of the asteroid/debris field, I formed a small clump facing in all directions, but keeping him in arc. Vader and Marek attempted to swoop in from the south, but poor angling kept them out. He shot once, three die, and even with Palp's ability, I lived. Then all of the Tie's K-turned and shot him from behind. Vader and Marek were now in front of the shuttle, blocking him in, while I continued to rain fire on that behind.

b3c10e27a7c9f36fa3e1571534f88e92.jpg

Sensor Jammer was actually my biggest problem, as the emperor mostly used his ability on himself. Because he was on a stress field when I k'turned behind him, I had two stresses and no focus, so even with Howl, I was rarely getting two or three full hits everytime.