Sign in to follow this  
nazgull2k1

Sad this is the current state of affairs..

Armada is teetering..

you can argue it till you are blue in the face, but everyone, even at GenCon, (I was there...) are saying the exact same things.

The Rebels are overpointed, underpowered and essentially, at this point, completely worthless vs any upright human being playing imperials that can tie his/her own shoes without drooling.

If you are playing Imperials, and you use fighters... you're doing it wrong.

ACM is just stupidly overpowered and underpointed and hey, let's combo that with another imp card that GAURANTEES it goes off EVERY shooting phase!  Isnt that meta kids? 

Imperial Ships have more shields, run with all black die attacks.. and are CHEAPER then the red/black die counterparts.  Cause yeah.. EVERYONE runs 3R/3B instead of 6B amirite Imps???

====

Wave 2 better see a SERIOUS beefing of the Rebels, or this game is toast.  It was pretty much announced last week at our shop that no more Tournaments will be played/supported until AFTER Wave 2.  Even store owners cant generate interest in the game when its so far out of wack.  There is now just 1 store left within 100 miles that plays Armada regularly...  and they cant even keep a weekly league play going.  It's a scattered person here and there..

I TRIED.  I really did.  I was the one who really pushed this game in my area.  Now I  have to sit and stammer through weak justifications on why the Rebels are so horribly outmatched at every level in every catagory....

I can only hope for the best.. Ive got alot of money invested here, as do many others.. but these ridiculous launch delays followed by horrible balancing issues and going RIGHT down the same path XWing did with broken equipment cards.. I dont have much hope left. 

Right now one of the best counters to the multiple ACM toting gladiators is an Assault Frigate toting a gunnery team and enhanced armaments.  Drive those Assault Frigates perpendicular to how the gladiators are trying to go, and they'll have to spend time chasing you.  2 of those Assault Frigates will make short work of those gladiators.

Having spend a lot of time flying gladiators (at gencon, same as you), they don't like needing to eat dice while chasing things down.

Gladiators love it when you set up and fly towards them, it makes their job WAY easier.  Don't give them any more help than they need.

Try harder, you obviously are doing something wrong.  In my area, rebels are the dominant builds.  Now, some of the best players sport these rebel builds but if as you say anyone who can tie their shoes can win using Imperials then why are the rebels winning?  This game requires a lot more skill and forethought than most people think.  Just try new things.  This game is remarkably balanced but it takes experience and skill to get the most out of it.

Imperials have powerful, standalone ships and squadrons that require synergy. Rebels have ships that require synergy and powerful, standalone squadrons.

Being the only player in my local meta that enjoys playing Rebels, I've faced Demolishers with ACM countless times and was never feeling outmatched as long as I didn't deploy like a complete idiot.

Imperial ships go down more quickly than one would feel, once defense tokens are spent and once you throw squadrons in the mix.

A CR90B with Overload Pulse is a serious annoyance to any Imperial ship if you've set up two other ships shooting at the target. A Neb B with CF commands and XI7 will be quite damaging.

75% of Rebel squadrons have Bomber. I've faced a VVG list with no squadrons and it was a pleasure to see my AFMK2 throw 4 X-Wings including Luke and Wedge throw 4 extra dice per round at the Victories which melted fast :D

But obviously on a 1v1 basis in a vacuum, Imperial Ships are much better priced. But they have much less potential synergies between themselves. Overload Pulse on a Victory 2 is cool but much less points efficient than on a Corvette. AFMK2 are fantastic tanks and Nebs are good damage dealers

EDIT : Right now, Demolisher + Wulff + ACM + Engineer Techs is the most powerful ship mainly thanks to the Demolisher title, and its ability to Concentrate 2 firing arcs on one target after moving with 4 extra damage thanks to ACM.

When you remove the Demolisher title, it's a decent but pretty standard ship. No wonder Demolisher is a flagship rather than simply a noticeable Gladiator ;)

Edited by MoffZen

Armada is teetering..

you can argue it till you are blue in the face, but everyone, even at GenCon, (I was there...) are saying the exact same things.

The Rebels are overpointed, underpowered and essentially, at this point, completely worthless vs any upright human being playing imperials that can tie his/her own shoes without drooling.

If you are playing Imperials, and you use fighters... you're doing it wrong.

ACM is just stupidly overpowered and underpointed and hey, let's combo that with another imp card that GAURANTEES it goes off EVERY shooting phase!  Isnt that meta kids? 

Imperial Ships have more shields, run with all black die attacks.. and are CHEAPER then the red/black die counterparts.  Cause yeah.. EVERYONE runs 3R/3B instead of 6B amirite Imps???

====

Wave 2 better see a SERIOUS beefing of the Rebels, or this game is toast.  It was pretty much announced last week at our shop that no more Tournaments will be played/supported until AFTER Wave 2.  Even store owners cant generate interest in the game when its so far out of wack.  There is now just 1 store left within 100 miles that plays Armada regularly...  and they cant even keep a weekly league play going.  It's a scattered person here and there..

I TRIED.  I really did.  I was the one who really pushed this game in my area.  Now I  have to sit and stammer through weak justifications on why the Rebels are so horribly outmatched at every level in every catagory....

I can only hope for the best.. Ive got alot of money invested here, as do many others.. but these ridiculous launch delays followed by horrible balancing issues and going RIGHT down the same path XWing did with broken equipment cards.. I dont have much hope left. 

Was ChickenLittle already taken?

You know about what they say about Opinions.  This sir, much like the words you are reading from me right now, are just that.  Opinions.  What you listed isn't a necessary truth.  Your shops decision is no more indicative of everyone else then the shops 5 miles from me.  One shop has a large community of player's.  While the other has a fairly sporadic smattering of players here and there.  I personally go to the smaller shop with the lighter crowd because I like that place better.  So honestly, the claim that the game is Teetering is rather... well... myopic.  In my opinion.

Right now one of the best counters to the multiple ACM toting gladiators is an Assault Frigate toting a gunnery team and enhanced armaments.  Drive those Assault Frigates perpendicular to how the gladiators are trying to go, and they'll have to spend time chasing you.  2 of those Assault Frigates will make short work of those gladiators.

Having spend a lot of time flying gladiators (at gencon, same as you), they don't like needing to eat dice while chasing things down.

Gladiators love it when you set up and fly towards them, it makes their job WAY easier.  Don't give them any more help than they need.

Quoted for truth.

Just had a tournament yesterday and I was able to kill several Gladiators with dual Whales.

I think I will go the gunnery teams route now instead of Paragon. While Paragon is scary, it is rare. Gunnery Teams let's me punish multiple ships at once which is perfect because Rebels are not a knockout punch type of fleet. They are Jabs and are ruthless at it

On a side note. I face stiff competition in my area Naboobo2000, Mikael from HNN, Beatty, etc and they know I fly Rebels pretty much exclusively even though I have at least 3 of every ship.

Now if you are having issues winning, try and look at what you are doing. Are you getting into a brawl? Are you traveling at speed 2 at turn 3? Are you letting the opponent dictate the combats? And are you deploying badly?

Those are all very important questions.

As for money tied up here. . . I think other than maybe a few people I have quite a bit spent here. 3 of every ship, 2 more Nebulon-B's on top of that, and a fighter pack of each faction (though that is getting raised by 6 more packs soon enough)

I have to say that currently, even without wave 2, I'm still unconvinced 'no squadron' builds are so dominant.

What I am convinced of is that squadrons are a steeper learning curve, so easier to waste and harder to play.

One Gencon with a new game that's half released (if that..) doesn't reveal a great deal IMHO.

The one negative I do have for Armada is the release schedule which has been disappointingly slow.

I have to say that currently, even without wave 2, I'm still unconvinced 'no squadron' builds are so dominant.

What I am convinced of is that squadrons are a steeper learning curve, so easier to waste and harder to play.

One Gencon with a new game that's half released (if that..) doesn't reveal a great deal IMHO.

The one negative I do have for Armada is the release schedule which has been disappointingly slow.

Another QFT.

Squadrons are amazing when used properly but they take a LOT of work to get right.

Another QFT.

Squadrons are amazing when used properly but they take a LOT of work to get right.

I won a game at my FLGS yesterday using a squadron heavy build against a no squadron build.  It was close 173 to 107, but I still won.

Edited by Edsel62

Armada is teetering..

A whole lot of opinions stated as facts here.

True, but that's not exactly a sin. Most people state their opinions as fact, and most people support their stated opinions with selectively chosen facts. There's no point in griping out that.

His statement that Armada is teetering is a position he holds. Just because his supposition is wrong, doesn't mean that his argumentative form is lacking.

Another QFT.

I won a game at my FLGS yesterday using a squadron heavy build against a no squadron build.  It was close 173 to 107, but I still won.

In yesterday's tournament (read about it here) I really wish that I had brought my bomber build, rather than the 3 Glads/no Squadrons build that I brought. Out of all participants (regrettably just 4), there were only two squadrons - the two A-Wings that Lyraeus brought.

I think we need more people to bring more bomber builds so that people perceive a greater need to bring more squadrons to counter them. That way the meta can self-correct a bit.