Sign in to follow this  
frogy84

how many ship does one really need

I really don't know i normal buy 3 of any ship when i get anything and when i big i get 2 of i bought 2cr90 2 tranports ships and 2 raiders coming because plus i got 3ships preoderd for all new stuff coming out am i spending more then i need

Yeah, I'd say so.

Usually, 1/2 of each ship (unless you REALLY want to run a list with multiples of one ship, like a TIE swarm) is fine. And epic isn't played as much, so more than one of each epic ship (especially as early into the game as you are) is really a bit much :P

I've been into X-Wing for nearly 2 years now, and I own multiples of each ship (over those 2 years) and I don't even have a CR90 or Transport yet lol Only really got the Raider becasue of the TIE Advanced cards in it.

You really don't have to spend as much on X-Wing as you did on 40k. Very different games.

I guess i thought i need many of every thing for all the cards. I been playing as long as this game been out i just only play with my brother i just never new there was fourm and all this help for this game till now

Yeah X-Wing is a great game to learn as you go. Fly a few ships, play around with the cards they came with and learn more about the rules, then try out a few more ships.

Yes you've been playing as long as it's been going, but based on other posts you've put up, you are still very 'new' to actually playing the game and knowing the rules. You'll get way more out of the game and understand it all better if you do it piece by piece.

And as for needing cards, as the most ships you'll usually get in a list is between 2 and 6, you don't need tonnes of each card.

Edited by InterceptorMad

Two of each small, one of each large and one of each epic is my starting point. MW and the Epics are the only things I havent purchased more of yet, using these starting points. Have I over purchased?!? Yes! I have FIVE Phantoms because I bought three used at too good of a price to pass up! LOL! Otherwise, we've fielded everything else at some point!

I'll have to field all five Phantoms at once some time just to say I did it!

In a perfect world, I'd buy one of every pack. I only ever need one of most ships, and this way would give me double B-wings, Y-wings, A-wings, and TIE Advanceds, along with triple X-wings, Z-95s and Interceptors, and six TIE Fighters once the Gozanti comes out. I would pick up a second IG-2000 and maybe one more TIE Fighters and Z-95s, then I'd have enough to run practically any list I want.

As soon as I saw the thread title, the answer to the question immediately popped into my head.. The answer of course being, "ALL THE SHIPS!"  I was actually having a similar discussion with a friend of mine the other day and even though I rarely get a chance to play X-wing or Armada, I still enjoy collecting the ships and seeing them displayed either in my cabinet or my display shelf.  FFG has done quite a remarkable job with their sculpts and paint jobs that even if I fly a ship I'm not terribly fond of, I never have buyers remorse because they are just so awesome to look at.

For any faction that you actually want to play, I would say get 2 of each product. For factions that you don't really want to play, look at what cards come in each expansion and decide whether to get zero or one on a case by case basis.

Exceptions:

Tie fighters. If you play imperials, you will probably want at least 6 of them

Huge ships. Unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY like the model, or have some specific reason for getting more, no more than 1 of each for whichever factions you play is sufficient.

Like you, I came from a GW/40K background. When I first started playing I was aiming for 2 or more of everything. I realize now that I shouldn't have done that. Like I said in the regrets thread, I bought more starter sets than I needed, shouldn't have gotten most of the rebel stuff I did, shouldn't have gotten as many duplicate larges.

For the purposes of actually PLAYING the game, just 2 of most ships is fine, and only 1 of each large is probably adequate. Now, for collecting and modeling purposes, that is more up to personal taste and just how completionist you are.

What I going to do from now on is buy one of everything when it comes out and go from there.

I've bought multiple of some ships that I hardly use.

If your playing competitive you'll need the actual upgrade cards so at times you may want to buy more than one ship even if you don't plan to use it.

However, to save yourself a buck you could just borrow if you know others who may have what you need for a tournament.

If your just playing at home you could just proxy in a card. Really no need to buy ships for the cards if you're just playing in the kitchen

I was told when i first starting that i need 2 to 3 ever thing because i need all the cards

That was more true early in the game when the number of cards was more limited. Nowadays, there are lots of options so if you lack certain cards it isn't as big a deal (although there are a couple that are vital for specific ships).

Not to mention, if you only ever play with your brother, then you both provably have a similar selection to choose from and you won't cripple yourself by not having so-called "must have" cards.

One or two of each release is sufficient for me.  I don't play epic and if I need more models to field a specific list, I just borrow from a buddy.  

Two Core Sets and two TIE expansions gives you 6 TIEs, which is a pretty good swarm.  IGs naturally should be in at least pairs.

How am i new to actually playing the game. i just felt like i miss some stuff on how the game works so i looked around to find a place i could ask about game

I just meant from what you said in other posts, no matter how long you've owned some of the stuff for and how many games you've played, you are still pretty new to how the game works in terms of making lists and what to pick and what to use.

If I was still at that stage of working the game out, I wouldn't personally be dropping 100s+ on the game. I got a few ships (Imps, as I love Imps) and I really learned how they flew and how the general game worked so I was confident that if I wanted, I could go to an event (not just a casual game) and do well.

Then I started the addiction :P I just wanted to make sure that you didn't but looooads of stuff, but still have the same feeling about the game (2 hours+ to play, nothing dies etc) because then you'd feel like you'd wasted your money and the game wasn't that good. 

Yeah when I first started I went bat crap crazy. Three cores, 7 Zs etc. I've calmed down lately. Wave 7 I'll probably pick one of each excluding the YV-666. That purchase is still undecided. I fly Rebels about 90% of the time. There's a lot that I've never flown. I wish I had known about these forums before I went nuts.

I really don't know i normal buy 3 of any ship when i get anything and when i big i get 2 of i bought 2cr90 2 tranports ships and 2 raiders coming because plus i got 3ships preoderd for all new stuff coming out am i spending more then i need

HELL NO!!!!

Buy as many as you can afford.

If it makes you feel any better, I buy everything in multiples of 2 and have at least 100 points of each ship at it lowest point cost. Much more than 100 points for most actually. 4 of half of each big ship, 2 of the other half. Between 4 and 12 of each small with at least 8 of most. And 2 of each huge. Collection is still growing too!

But the reason I buy in multiples of 2 and have so many is so I can have all my upgrade cards divided between 2 binders in even proportions. When I have a match with my spouse, or a friend, we just use my cards and this way we both have an equal selection of upgrades to choose from. And the reason I buy so many is not just because I love the models so much and enjoy collecting them, but also because I'm setting up a room for gaming and want to have enough selection to be able to bring people into playing who haven't any models yet. Also, eventually both my sons will be old enough to play and want enough for all!

Edit: Also bought 4 core sets, and will be buying at least 2 of the new one.

Can't get enough!

Edited by Shado

HELL NO!!!!

Buy as many as you can afford.

If it makes you feel any better, I buy everything in multiples of 2 and have at least 100 points of each ship at it lowest point cost. Much more than 100 points for most actually. 4 of half of each big ship, 2 of the other half. Between 4 and 12 of each small with at least 8 of most. And 2 of each huge. Collection is still growing too!

But the reason I buy in multiples of 2 and have so many is so I can have all my upgrade cards divided between 2 binders in even proportions. When I have a match with my spouse, or a friend, we just use my cards and this way we both have an equal selection of upgrades to choose from. And the reason I buy so many is not just because I love the models so much and enjoy collecting them, but also because I'm setting up a room for gaming and want to have enough selection to be able to bring people into playing who haven't any models yet. Also, eventually both my sons will be old enough to play and want enough for all!

Edit: Also bought 4 core sets, and will be buying at least 2 of the new one.

Can't get enough!

DATS!!!

:lol: