Sign in to follow this  
Blackbird888

Frequently Asked Questions for Force and Destiny

This thread is intended to address questions particular to Fantasy Flight Games' Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG line, whether you just picked up the game or you are new to the entire Star Wars RPG.

First of all...

Click the following link to answer some general questions about the entire FFG Star Wars RPG line.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/86143-read-this-first-frequently-asked-questions-about-eote/

Regarding official player resources...

Follow this link and click on "Player Resources" to find downloadable character sheets, group sheets and starship sheets, as well as whatever future resources the developers provide: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-force-and-destiny/

Follow this link for resources regarding the Star Wars Force and Destiny Beginner Game: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-force-and-destiny-beginner-game/

Regarding unofficial, fanmade resources...

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/85616-compiled-resources-list/

There are other resources, such as adventure ideas, that can be found by perusing the three Star Wars RPG forums.

To those new to the Ways of the Force...

Force and Destiny is the third released game line from Fantasy Flight Games set in the Star Wars universe, focusing on Force-sensitives having adventures in the galaxy between the events of Episode IV and Episode V. The first game line, Edge of the Empire, focuses on fringe, civilian, and/or criminal elements, and the second line, Age of Rebellion, focuses on playing Rebel agents fighting against the Empire.

All three games follow the same set of rules, with only a key but not divisive difference, and all three are completely cross-compatible.

Key differences?

Each game line has its own storytelling mechanic to give the line its flavor -- Edge of the Empire has Obligation, Age of Rebellion has Duty, and Force and Destiny has Morality. These mechanics do not conflict, and characters from mixed games can have any one or any mix of all three and everything will work. Please see the respective books for more discussions on the mechanics.

Anything else?

Becoming Force Sensitive

There are only two ways to become Force sensitive in the entire game line: creating a character with a career from Force and Destiny, which grants a Force Rating (FR) of 1, or by taking on either the Force-Sensitive Exile specialization found on page 276 of the  Edge of the Empire  Core Rulebook or the Force-Sensitive Emergent specialization found on page 292 of the Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook. Taking the latter option is the only way to gain an FR for preexisting players who have chosen a career from EotE or AoR, as you cannot take a second career per the rules as written; taking a specialization from F&D does not grant a FR. The only way to raise your Force Rating above 1 is to purchase the Force Rating talent; taking the Exile or Emergent specializations doesn't raise FR, as they only grant a FR of 1. The current FR cap is however many Force Rating talents are currently purchasable.

Talents

If you're unsure about how a talent (any talent) works, remember to check the Talents chapter of the book. If there are every any discrepancies, use the longer description in the Talents chapter over the shorter summary in the talent trees.

Additionally, some talents found in Force sensitive specializations are described as Force talents (defined by having a uniquely shaped box in the talent tree and being described as such in the Talents chapter), and only work if you have a FR rating of at least 1.

More to come.

Anything I missed?

Edited by Blackbird888

Reserving for future updates.

Force Power Checks and Committing Dice

Force power checks are, at their basis, simple: rolling a dice pool of the white Force Die, of a number no higher than your Force Rating. Force power checks usually trigger an immediate effect and then end. When you roll, you count how many Force Points you roll (indicated in the book by a half white, half black circle). Normally, you will only use the white dots, or Light points, and the black dots, or Dark points, are discarded. However, if a character rolls an insufficient amount of Light points, he or she can flip a Destiny Point and use however many Dark points he or she needs, suffering strain and gaining Conflict equal to however many he or she used. If there are no Destiny Points to be flipped, this cannot be done. Some Force powers have differing effects of you use Dark points.

Some powers and Force talents will require you to commit a number Force die - this temporarily lowers you FR by however many die have been committed. Committing a die represents an ongoing Force effect, and it will last as long as the die remains committed; there are also no had limits as to how long a Force Die can remain committed.

You cannot roll or commit more Force Dice than your Force Rating, even where the book reads to use X number of Force Dice. This applies when temporarily lowered by committing -- if you have a FR of 3, commit 1, you cannot roll more than 2 Force Die in a Force power check.

Some powers and talents will ask the player to perform a regular skill check (such as a Leadership check) in addition to a Force power check. This is done simple as normal, assembling all dice from a Force power check and a skill check into a dice pool and rolling as normal.

Morality and Conflict

In many Star Wars games, players have the option to play the in the light or the dark. Force and Destiny has its own mechanic, called Morality. Morality uses a 100 point system, with characters automatically starting at 50 -- players have the option to modify this at character creation. Raising your Morality to 71 or higher means they have passed the "Light Side Paragon Threshold", while dropping to 29 or lower means they have crossed the "Dark Side Threshold", and are considered a paragon or a dark sider.

There are no immediate changes for paragons, but as long as they are at 80+ Morality they raise their Strain Threshold by 1, and at 90+ they raise it again by 1. It is not entirely clear as written, but it seems to be that you only have those bonuses as long as you remain at 80+/90+. A paragon must drop to 29 Morality or lower to lose his status as a paragon.

Dark siders, those at 29 or lower Morality, can freely use dark points on Force power checks as they did with Light points (without suffering strain or flipping a Destiny Point), but he must flip a Destiny Point and suffer strain to use Light points. In addition, as long as there is a dark sider in the party, at the beginning of each session one light Destiny Point is flipped. If a dark sider's Morality drops below 20, he raises his wound threshold by one and lowers his strain threshold by 1, and then does so again if below 10. A dark sider must raise his Morality to 71 or above to lose his status as a dark sider. Using dark points still inflict conflict.

Raising and Lowering, and how Conflict works

At the end of each gaming session, each player resolves his conflict by rolling 1d10. If he or she rolls above the amount of conflict they gained in a session, their Morality rises equal to the difference (rolling a 7 with 5 Conflict raises you by 2). Rolling below the amount of Conflict they gained lowers their morality by the difference. Rolling equal to the number neither raises nor lowers Morality. At the end of a session, all Conflict is removed, so they start at 0 the next session. Generally speaking, each player keeps their Morality and Conflict a secret between the GM and themselves. That's the simple part.

Characters can gain conflict in several ways:

• By the consequences of narrative actions. This is the most important means. There is a table on p. 324 that lists some actions and an amount of conflict GMs might give, although the same section of the book mentions that GMs "can and should adjust the penalties to account for unusual actions or situations"; in other words, utilize whatever works best for the group.
  • By using dark points from Force power checks. 1 dark point = 1 point of Conflict.
  • By the results of a failed fear check.
  • Through the purchase and use (depending) of certain talents. As of the full release of Force and Destiny, there is a grand total of 1 such talent that awards 1 Conflict at the beginning of each session, but there will likely be more.

An important note: there are situations where a character would not need to resolve Conflict. If a player is absent for reasons, his character would not change their morality, or if a character is incapacitated for the duration of a session. The rule of thumb is that a character must be confronted with a moral dilemma which could gain them Conflict, even if they don't gain any, before he would resolve his conflict. Per p. 52: "...a good overall guideline should be that Player Characters should have a chance to earn Conflict (even if they don't take it) if their Morality will have a chance to change."

Edited by Blackbird888

How to assemble the dice pool for using force powers would be very helpful. And how the dark side / light side pips affect you as a Force Sensitive with 100-70 Morality (Light), 69-31 Morality (Neutral), 30-1 Morality (Dark). What is conflict, and how it affects you or how to gain points or lose points. Information on Lightsabers (quick info). Maybe some ideas of what being light , neutral, or dark mean in potential narrative ideas or what it means when fighting the Empire or being hunted.

How to assemble the dice pool for using force powers would be very helpful. And how the dark side / light side pips affect you as a Force Sensitive with 100-70 Morality (Light), 69-31 Morality (Neutral), 30-1 Morality (Dark). What is conflict, and how it affects you or how to gain points or lose points. Information on Lightsabers (quick info). Maybe some ideas of what being light , neutral, or dark mean in potential narrative ideas or what it means when fighting the Empire or being hunted.

A bit of clarification. Until your Morality falls below 30, you're light side. 71+ is light side paragon. Once you fall to the dark side, you're dark side from 0–70, and are redeemed at 71+ and become a light side user again.

A bit of clarification. Until your Morality falls below 30, you're light side. 71+ is light side paragon. Once you fall to the dark side, you're dark side from 0–70, and are redeemed at 71+ and become a light side user again.

Thank you for the clarification. I misread that in the book!

Also want to add, committed force points or rating. How does that mechanic work?

Committing a Force Die temporarily lowers your FR by however many dice you commit. If you have a rating of 3 and you commit 1 die, you can only roll 2 Force die on Force checks. I'll add this stuff as I formulate it.

Also want to add, committed force points or rating. How does that mechanic work?

Unless otherwise stated, it's an action to commit a Force die. Also of note is that you may not commit more Force dice than the power or talent states. So the defense upgrade for Sense, as an example, only allows for one die to be committed, while the duration upgrade for Misdirect required two Force dice to commit.

So for example, to use the base power check of Seek, it requires 2 force points. If my character is aligned with the dark side (has hit under 30 on morality) and with a FR of 1, rolls 1 dark side pip, do I turn a destiny point to get the second or is the check failed. And then if I hit one light side, do I flip 2? If I hit 2 light side then I turn 3 over if available? If I roll 2 dark side then the check is passed and nothing else is required?

So for example, to use the base power check of Seek, it requires 2 force points. If my character is aligned with the dark side (has hit under 30 on morality) and with a FR of 1, rolls 1 dark side pip, do I turn a destiny point to get the second or is the check failed. And then if I hit one light side, do I flip 2? If I hit 2 light side then I turn 3 over if available? If I roll 2 dark side then the check is passed and nothing else is required?

The base power requires 2 Force points, so if you roll only 1, you cannot activate the base power.

Assuming a dark side character with FR of 1, if you roll double dark pips—only 1 chance in 12, or roughly 8.6% chance, since there is only one face with two dark pips—the power is successfully activated and you take 2 conflict for using dark side pips. If you roll double light side pips—3 in 12, or 25% chance—you have to flip a destiny point and take 2 strain to successfully activate the power.

Remember that you need to roll enough pips to activate the power and any upgrades, you can't just create Force points from nowhere.

For the sake of not quoting the above post to make a gigantic post for another question, so with that being said if I wanted to hit any upgrades, do I pick and choose from what pips I have to make happen? So if I wanted to use Force Move on a Sil 2 object from medium range to remove an obstacle in front of me out of the way, I'd need to hit 3 force pips? As a dark side, if I (I do understand I'd need at least a 2 FR to do it because I'd need 2 Force die) if I roll 2 whites and 1 black, I'd flip a die and take 2 strain and gain 1 conflict but successfully move the object? As a light side in that same scenario I'd take 1 strain, gain one conflict, and succeed?

For the sake of not quoting the above post to make a gigantic post for another question, so with that being said if I wanted to hit any upgrades, do I pick and choose from what pips I have to make happen? So if I wanted to use Force Move on a Sil 2 object from medium range to remove an obstacle in front of me out of the way, I'd need to hit 3 force pips? As a dark side, if I (I do understand I'd need at least a 2 FR to do it because I'd need 2 Force die) if I roll 2 whites and 1 black, I'd flip a die and take 2 strain and gain 1 conflict but successfully move the object? As a light side in that same scenario I'd take 1 strain, gain one conflict, and succeed?

You got it!

And so in that scenario, if the obstacle I wanted to move actually turned into an obstacle I wanted to throw at another being of Sil 1 I'd do the same check but add in the (unlocked control option) discipline check to make it hit the being?

Would anything change when throwing a Sil 2 at a Sil 1? What about a Sil 2 to a Sil 0 or Sil 3? More damage? Less damage? Setbacks?

Edited by Djack

One thing that might be important to include (and it looks like Djack got it perfectly right in his post above) ... flipping a Destiny point (just one) and taking Strain are the cost for using the "wrong" kind of Force pip, whether you are light or dark. Taking Conflict is specifically tied to using dark pips, even if you yourself are dark. It is a subtle but important distinction. Though some folks have pondered on it in threads, by the book there is so far no Conflict or reverse-Conflict that pulls a darksider toward higher Morality. Despite the name (and the presumed derivation from Luke's statement about feeling the conflict within his father), Conflict always comes from the Dark Side and (slowly) pulls Morality downward.