Sign in to follow this  
piznit

"Cancelling all dice results"

Lets take a card like Adv. Homing Missile.  If you hit, deal one face up damage card, then cancel all dice results.

Just for my own better understanding of the rules, why do we cancel the results after the hit and damage card has been done?  Assuming you *didn't* cancel the results, what sort of shenanigans could one do?  I feel there's a purpose for that line, I just don't know what it is.

If you didn't then you'd add all the damage results to the total damage you did.

For example take Ion Turrets. Lets say I roll <hit> <hit> <crit> and the defender rolls 3 <blanks>

If you didn't cancel the dice, the defender would take four damage with one of them being a face up card if I get though the shields, plus a Ion token.

That's a pretty powerful attack for 5 points.

"Assuming you *didn't* cancel the results, what sort of shenanigans could one do?"

You would basically end up with something akin to an ion torpedoe (which unlike its ion cannon cousin, does not force you to cancel the dice).

OOH what about Miranda with TLT you could have 4+1,  + 3+1 damage in a single turn.

I feel like it's worth clarifying what the game means by an "attack that hits" and what most new players seem to understand it to mean, which from my read may have contributed to the original question and is a common point of confusion. 

Hit and Crit, when referring to die results, are just player shorthand, because saying (filled explosion) and (empty explosion) is a bit awkward. As defined by the rules, an attack is considered to have Hit as long as there is at least one uncancelled (explosion) or (empty explosion) attack die after the defender modifies their dice and uses any evade tokens they may have; by the same token, an attack misses if there are no uncancelled attack dice. Rolling (explode) (explode) for your attack still means your attack missed if your opponent rolls (evade) (evade), or is able to modify their dice or spend tokens. This applies for everything that talks about an attack hitting/missing; Ion weapons, Gunner/Luke, Assault missles, etc.

This is what makes Gunner powerful(If a miss was only you rolling all blanks or Blanks and eyes with no focus, Gunner would be nearly worthless) and is the entire point behind Lt. Blount's Pilot ability(regardless of what you roll, his Assault Missiles always do splash damage and his Ion missiles always apply two ion tokens). In general, with the Ion weapons you're rolling a certain number of dice, and trading the damage for the effect of the token by cancelling the dice results. Just make sure you read every card completely; Ion Torpedoes don't follow the same 'cancel all dice' pattern of other Ion weapons.

Check out Otacon's post.  There is often some confusion about what a "hit" is because it is often used to refer to several different, if related, things.

As a die result it just refers to a die that comes up with a filled explosion symbol, or what some of us refer to as a [boom], and it is not the same as the open explosion symbol (or [kaboom]) when something is looking specifically at die results.

When it comes to 'hitting' a ship that refers to the attack stage where dice are compared and you generally need uncancelled [boom] or [kaboom] results to count as getting a 'hit' on the other ship.

Then you move on to the actual damage dealing stage where uncancelled dice results remove shields with [boom] or "damage" results happening before [kaboom] or critical damage is checks.  Any results left after removing shields deal a card to the defender with that card being face down on normal damage and face-up with critical damage.

When you are using a card to make an attack the "cancel all die results" is going to happen after you check to see if you "hit" your target but before those dice, which are then cancelled, get converted into damage.