Sign in to follow this  
Hobojebus

Pilots from the first starter.

How are newer players going to get them if that starter is discontinued?

Luke and Biggs still have a place in game but only come with the first starter so do you think ffg will keep it in production or are new players out of luck?

I don't know. Stores are generally reluctant to stock redundant SKUs. It confuses customers which is something you especially don't want with an intro product.

It's not so much the cards - easy enough to start bundling them with the existing TIE and X Wing expansions - but rejiggerring the cardboard to include the ship bases would be a pain.

The only time I could see the core set being discontinued is because FFG have put out a 2.0 starter set to replace it.

I just don't see this happening.

If they do a 2.0 I imagine it would be just a rule book. I doubt any changes would be enough to warrant a completely new starter

FFG doesn't half ass new additions. I imagine the only core thing that would remain is the basics of the Flightpath dial and templates. 

If they discontinue the original starter, I could easily see them doing an X-Wing Aces box with 2 T-65s, all the pilots from the Old starter and the T-65 standalone blister. Plus- if it will exist on 5 September- any titles that fix the T-65.

If they went the rout of discontinuing anything, consolidating the current stuff into fewer SKUs would be the easy and logical thing to do.

As I have mentioned before, it is fairly likely that they would maintain the 2 starters together temporarily until they can decide whether the new movies are a success. If the new trilogy takes off, then other products can be developed that replace the original starter (like the aces pack just mentioned) and it can be discontinued without fear. If the new movies suck as bad as the prequels then the new starter can be quietly discontinued without adversely effecting the x-wing brand or requiring a third starter to be rushed into production.

But we'll see.

In about 2 weeks.

I'm sure they the know recommended purchase list is 2x starters then the the single expansions (exception fresh start S&V). So I cannot see them discontinuing the OT starter. Maybe put a hold on new prints while they stockpile the newer starter cause the bandwagon is usually good way to Boost sales. 

It could also be considered a "Starter Aces Pack". The Basic X-Wing and TIE appear in both the "big box" expansions including the original Wave 1 Series. The Advanced has the Raider grouped with it and the Y's have S&V to hang out with. 

If they go by how we recommend brand new players starting out as we currently are (dual starters) the demand for both should be roughly equal leaning slightly towards the new starter because there's a lot of us who have been around a while and want the starter just for the pilots and upgrades and those for just the paint jobs. 

Sidenote: if OT is Original Trilogy and PT is Pre-Original Trilogy. What is the Post-Original Trilogy going to be? 

Or are we still sticking with EU for extended universe. Or NEU for New-Extended Universe ? 

We're getting closer to the day, and I know it was discussed a while ago but I've forgotten the results. 

The only time I could see the core set being discontinued is because FFG have put out a 2.0 starter set to replace it.

If they do a 2.0 I imagine it would be just a rule book. I doubt any changes would be enough to warrant a completely new starter

huehuehuehue

don't put money down on that.

If they go by how we recommend brand new players starting out as we currently are (dual starters) the demand for both should be roughly equal leaning slightly towards the new starter because there's a lot of us who have been around a while and want the starter just for the pilots and upgrades and those for just the paint jobs.

I'd be surprised if the new and improved Episode VII X-Wing and TIE Fighters are just variant paint jobs and new pilots. I've got a strong suspicion that they will be entirely separate ships. There may be some upgrades or titles that can be used by both versions of the ships but they won't be interchangeable models.

I'm willing to bet that the T-70 will have a third type of astromech slot that keeps it from being able to use existing astromechs.

Current players will be buying a new core set because it has completely new ships.

Edited by WWHSD

The main issue with the old starter is outdated rules, outdated templates. If they don't discontinue the old set they need to update it. I don't see the point in maintaining two core sets it's confusing for new players

The main issue with the old starter is outdated rules, outdated templates. If they don't discontinue the old set they need to update it. I don't see the point in maintaining two core sets it's confusing for new players

What's outdated about the templates?

The rules in a new core set will be outdated 6 months after they are released.

FFG doesn't half ass new additions. I imagine the only core thing that would remain is the basics of the Flightpath dial and templates.

Who said anything about half ass. The game as it stands is pretty **** perfect.

It's only certain rules (ordinance) that need to be rebalanced

Sidenote: if OT is Original Trilogy and PT is Pre-Original Trilogy. What is the Post-Original Trilogy going to be? 

Or are we still sticking with EU for extended universe. Or NEU for New-Extended Universe ? 

NT for New Trilogy? ;)

This wasn't a skyfall thread I just genuinely wondered.

The reverse question is how will people that don't need a third starter get access to the cards from the new movies if it is compatible.

I don't care about the reprints I have enough ties I suppose a fourth x-wing would be fine but not really needed, certainly don't need the cardboard tokens but don't want to pay out just for pilot cards.

As I have mentioned before, it is fairly likely that they would maintain the 2 starters together temporarily until they can decide whether the new movies are a success. If the new trilogy takes off, then other products can be developed that replace the original starter (like the aces pack just mentioned) and it can be discontinued without fear. If the new movies suck as bad as the prequels then the new starter can be quietly discontinued without adversely effecting the x-wing brand or requiring a third starter to be rushed into production.

But we'll see.

In about 2 weeks.

Given their production cycle, they can't afford to do that. Wave 8 is finished, this new Core is finished. They're definitely working on wave9 and some Aces packs, if not beyond. Just look at Rebels: it was announced one year and a half from premiere, so they started a long time ago. If they waited to see TFAs reception (which I don't think is needed), then they would have to skip wave9 and put TFA stuff (Millenium Falcon update, Special Forces Tie) in wave 10, way too late. In order to ride the hype wave, they will probably announce more TFA stuff in December.

I just don't see this happening.If they do a 2.0 I imagine it would be just a rule book. I doubt any changes would be enough to warrant a completely new starter

huehuehuehue

don't put money down on that.

Im quite well in touch with how FFG go about re-building there games.

I've been through all 4 editions of Talisman, both editions of Descent and all 3 of Twilight Imperium

FFG won't do a full rebuild of X-wing unless they do find it needs to modernized (Talisman) trimmed down to boost sales (Descent) or a rerelease to combine all of the expansion into one super release (TI, though they failed due to a certain strategy card and fans like me wanting more)

If FFG do a 2.0 I just don't see it being a new core set unless they do a serious overhaul.

FFG don't generally fix what ain't broken, so why would they?

This wasn't a skyfall thread I just genuinely wondered.

The reverse question is how will people that don't need a third starter get access to the cards from the new movies if it is compatible.

I don't care about the reprints I have enough ties I suppose a fourth x-wing would be fine but not really needed, certainly don't need the cardboard tokens but don't want to pay out just for pilot cards.

I really don't think it will be another X-Wing and 2 more TIEs. People who don't need a another starter will buy one or two for access to the new ships. I wouldn't be surprised if FFG includes a couple of new upgrades cards that people that don't want new ship would buy the set to get.