Sign in to follow this  
RodianClone

How much do you mix the 3 Games? Do you have interesting Mixed Campaign ideas?

Do you keep it focused or mix it up? 

Is it still EotE if you can play anything, but everyone has Obligation and play on the shady side of the Galaxy? Or an AoR if everyone has Duty and you fight with the Rebels against the Empire?

FnD campaigns need to be more focused I guess, you tell me!

Do you restrict careers and/or specs(or anything else) to one or two of the three games?

Can Obligation, Duty and/or Morality be used in the same game you think? If so, how?

Do you have any ineresting campaign ideas where you mix two or all of the games?

For example in a mix between AoR and FnD the players play old clone troopers and a couple of padawan or Force Sensitive kids who escaped Order 66 back in the day and stayed together since.

Edited by RodianClone

Sometimes I have a very specific premise in mind for a campaign, and I'll limit character creation to a certain Career or something. For the most part, though, I just designate one CRB as the "core" of the campaign and then let people come up with their characters however they want to. 

I'll usually allow a character to have two of the three core mechanics, but not the full trifecta. Less bookkeeping for me that way.

Not only am I mixing all three in one, but I'm mixing all three on at least one character.  That's the current long term plan.  Still stuck on the Edge boat currently, but we are progressing to the first vision point and will work it in from there.  Age of Rebellion will be the last added, but it will be the logical progression to get the nascent Jedi involved in the galaxy at large and progress inwards.  

Having to cobble together character sheets to do it, but hey... we live in interesting times, my friend.  Drink deeply from the well!

As it progresses I'll report back how it is working... just in case you guys are still around two to three years from now...

Mixed. I'm currently playing in a mixed game and I'm designing a campaign of my own that will likely be mixed (depending on what career's the players ultimately choose). I think that's this systems strongest selling point, that you can mix and match as needed. 

As far as I'm concerned there is only one game.  Having three core books is pretty much marketing.  Our group uses obligation, and if you're force sensitive you also track morality.

Ditto, except the Obligation part.   I allow the players to use Obligation, Duty or Morality as needed for the character concept. 

Edited by SSand

I'm also on the boat that allows each player to develop whatever concept of a character that they'd like ... it does take a bit more bookkeeping as well as planning ahead so you can include each players strength, weakness, skills, talents, and so forth into the adventure/campaign arc ... but it's worth it if each player is having fun playing the role they've been drawn to.

I've not started our new campaign yet, but I will allow anything as long as someone owns the book the reference it from. The only restriction will be that all the party has to choose Obligation, Duty or Morality and all have the same- I'm not mixing these up, I think that would be too much of a headache.

I bring all elements of the books into a campaign, though I lean on EotE over the other two. However, it can become really AoR if the campaign heads that way or even F&D. I generally allow any species from the books, unofficial menagerie (book stats overrule them if they have been added sincr the menagerie) and the species in the one post on this forum about the movie species not found in books, with some restrictions. Allow all classes unless the campaign is strictly staying away from Jedi player characters though Emergent and Exile trees are always available as well as all of the Force Powers. Story usually stays very sci fi and very star wars, more into the rims of the the galaxy than war or jedi.

I've not started our new campaign yet, but I will allow anything as long as someone owns the book the reference it from. The only restriction will be that all the party has to choose Obligation, Duty or Morality and all have the same- I'm not mixing these up, I think that would be too much of a headache.

If they go for Morality, doesn`t everyone have to be force-sensitive?

To me, the three core-mechanics, Obligation, Duty and Morality, are what makes the games what they are. Obligation defines the EotE feeling and so on..

So far I'm running one EotE campaign and one AoR campaign in this system. However, the group has some characters from the old WEG D6 system that I'm going to "port" into this one now that I have all three books, and that will be a mixed campaign.

The group (or the original three members, anyway) started out as typical EotE characters in the Minos Cluster campaign from the Tramp Freighters supplement. Then they got mixed up with the Rebellion and a few AoR-type characters joined the group, one of whom was a Force sensitive who later found a master and became a Jedi-wannabe. They also picked up a fugitive Force user who had been groomed as a Dark side assassin by a mysterious group of Dark side Force users.

So yeah, pretty much everyone will have Obligation (Bounty for most of them) and Duty, and the two Force users will also be using Morality. I can't wait.

If they go for Morality, doesn`t everyone have to be force-sensitive?

To me, the three core-mechanics, Obligation, Duty and Morality, are what makes the games what they are. Obligation defines the EotE feeling and so on..

I think a non-force user could use morality, but some aspects of the system would be missing. The player might be alright with that. I think the narrative and roleplay aspects would still work fine.

If the players choose Duty, say, I would run adventures more in the style of AoR, as an example.

In my Edge campaign it is character by character.  Thus, they all start with Obligation.  They will always have Obligation.  The ones that want to become Force sensitive will layer in Morality.  And those that wish to help the Rebels (which, I will assume will be all of them or we will be splitting the party a lot) will add on Duty.  Currently, I do not have the Duty books (does that make me Duty-Free?) so do not have that table.  

Personally, I don't roll this at the table.  I roll this during downtime so that I have a chance to work on it.  I will make a roll for each... Duty, Morality and Obligation.  Whoever gets called out will get an extra portion of story to deal with.  I try to stay at least 4-5 story hooks ahead of each of the characters on each of their axis, but if I do it ahead of time I can do a lot better story preparation than I can on the fly at the table.

For me, rolling Obligation at the start of the game is a very clever way for the system to encourage a bit of improvisation and in the moment creativity based on an element of uncertainty, built on an interesting story foundation.

I have not run games with Duty or Morality yet, but I know obligation goes up and you want lower and Duty is the other way around. Not even sure how Morality works yet.. So how would you combine them in a game?

Would you role three different things at the start of a session? I can`t see, with my limited knowledge, how they would mix otherwise. Enlighten me?

We get plenty of opportunity for improvisation.  I also don't want it to necesarily all fall on one characters shoulders... sometimes bad luck breeds bad luck, but I don't want them to feel like it does in case of bad chance.  So I keep up with who has gotten called out on what and what I have used to make it worse.  There are times where I intend to let the dice fall and someone will be stressed over two different areas.  I have several external events waiting (family, bounties, encounters in the bazaar, etc) for flavor.  Basically, what I want to do is mix it up for the following:  

1) Each character gets a chance to use each of his mechanical opportunities

2) Each character is involved in the universe, and the universe is involved with each character

3) Each character has to make tough decisions and live with the consequences (good and bad)

4) Each character is uncertain of the opportunities that are going to be presented to them and what the motivation behind them might be

Do I fudge dice on this aspect of the game? I haven't had to yet, but in time, I expect there will be days that I will need to adjust it, which is also one of the reasons this is not done at the table... and it is one of the few things I do not roll at the table.  If there are ever concerns about this I would have us roll it at the end of the session so we all know heading into the next session (which is also a good way to build tension).  Currently, not needing to do that, but would be easy adoption.

In time, some of these will develop into major storyline arcs.  Right now, they are worrisome and problematic events that just add flavor to the characters.  Sometimes it is just simple stress that weighs on a characters mind for the session.  Sometimes it is encounters that interrupt what the characters are trying to do and complicate things.

My campaign is mixed with all three, though Edge of the Empire is the primary focus. The PCs are members of a mercenary organization with multiple cells throughout the galaxy (we often have guest players, so this makes it easy to incorporate them on the spot). In the beginning, credits were the main concern for the PCs, but slowly, they've begun to care about the larger picture in regards to the Galactic Civil War. One member in particular now serves as an official liaison with the Rebellion and has a Contribution Rank of 3.

Obligation, Duty, and Morality are all used. The biggest influence on the narrative was when a Force Sensitive character followed his Justice Morality, leading him to openly wield his lightsaber in defense of an NPC who was being mugged. That added an Inquisitorius Obligation which triggered a desperate battle that led to one PC getting maimed.  After that encounter, I sent the following message to my players:

Inquisitor Shorin will take his time before attempting another direct assault. Until further notice, whenever Obligation (Inquisitorius) is rolled, a random ally from your past adventures will be murdered by Shorin as he seeks to learn more information about Hank, Jasper, and the rest of the crew. Some allies will have a lower chance of falling prey to Shorin, like Jeppo Eddo, who is protected by the Scrapheap King. I'll post the ally chart later. Each time Shorin interrogates an ally, he has a chance to learn more of your whereabouts, but your allies also have a chance to resist and die without giving up vital information. Grim, I know :(! The range will be from -10 to +5 (5d4-15). Once the Obligation (Inquisitorius) is brought down to 5, it can no longer be lowered, but the roll for allies and the potential increase will still proceed.

Eventually, the Inquisitorius Obligation triggered on a group of NPCs who willingly sold the players out. This led to an all-out base assault by the Empire, leading to the death of one of the mercenaries and the loss of their headquarters. This significantly thawed relations between the group and the Rebellion, leading many of them to actively work towards Duty in subsequent missions.

Not every member of the party, in character, is happy with the closer working relationship with the Rebellion. It’s created some fun RP rivalry. In particular, the member of the party least fond of the Rebellion has often been able to give boosts in encounters to the Rebel liaison by insulting and goading him to fight harder/pilot better.

Sometimes Obligation, Duty, and Morality interact, sometimes they don't, but the potential is always there from session to session, which I love.
Edited by verdantsf

Doubt my group will ever touch F&D.  We aren't huge fans of Jedi/force characters.

That being said, my groups all start in EOTE, but are allowed to use AOR classes also as long as they have a backstory that makes sense.

After a few adventures in EOTE they always tend to start leaning towards the Rebels.  They typically have some sort of history with the Imps, and the adventures tend to put them at tension with the Imps here and there.  So eventually they start talking about maybe trying to find a way to join the Rebels.  That's when I start dropping in potential seeds that could lead to the Rebels.  If the players follow any of those seed plots, they come in contact with a recruiter.  They get sent on a small mission to judge their competence, skills, and motivations.  Succeed and they are welcomed to the rebellion.  We then start AOE and the characters start to gain Duty.  If they still have obligations, those still play a role.  In fact I love trying to weave obligation and duty together.  The best is if you can have to two being diametrically opposed in the adventure.

Rebels send them to steal some medical supplies, rations, and survival gear from an Imperial shipment.  During the mission they also discover several crates of blasters that would be invaluable to the Rebel cause.  However, someone has obligation with a crime family that was looking for a way to steal those crates from the Imps.  That obligation contacts them and demands the shipment of weapons, along with a fraction of the other supplies to erase their debts.

Now the players have to decide if their duty or obligation will win out.

The best is if you can have to two being diametrically opposed in the adventure.

Rebels send them to steal some medical supplies, rations, and survival gear from an Imperial shipment.  During the mission they also discover several crates of blasters that would be invaluable to the Rebel cause.  However, someone has obligation with a crime family that was looking for a way to steal those crates from the Imps.  That obligation contacts them and demands the shipment of weapons, along with a fraction of the other supplies to erase their debts.

Now the players have to decide if their duty or obligation will win out.

That`s cool:) But do you roll separately for Obligation and Duty at the start of the session, or how does it work?

I've been kicking around this possible campaign idea ever since we jumped all in at the beginning of this year for mixing AoR and EotE. Technically it's more AoR, but it's built to be adaptable.

So, the basic idea is that the PC's get either a mysterious job offer or back channel too secret order to kidnap and transport a certain human female to Tralus (or Talus...I always forget). She's under imperial surveillance, but the group makes it happen. When they arrive she reveals she's a rebel agitator and has been assigned to set up a cell in the Corellian sector on Tralus and talus.

She and the group begin, working along all avenues, gathering political allies, military assets, and economic power. The players basically get dossiers and choose who to try and recruit, and what actions they want to take against the empire in the sector.

As time goes on, it becomes clear that more than just building a rebel cell, she's built a small black market and political empire, with tons of contacts and people who owe her, and from there the plot thickens.

So either way she can pull in the players. She promises EotE characters wealth and power and perhaps respite from obligation, or can call on AoR characters duty, or any mixture of the two!

I'm pumped about it! Tons of fun NPC's exist in it already, and it would be super fun to see how different groups attempt to overthrow the empire (politically, economically, or militarily, or whatever mixture of the two)!