SirWillibald

SirWilli's Workshop: Imperial Assault stuff

Okay everybody, if you're following the X-Wing or Armada forum you should have known that this was inevitably coming. IA is finally available in germany and I couldn't resist buying it.

But the game box is a complete mess and there are so much cards around that I decided I had to work out something for them at first.

The easiest way would be to do lots of standard tuckboxes (and perhaps I'll do this as an alternative), but some cards could easily be stored together. I decided to give it a try with a repurposed DiceBox from Armada/X-Wing and I came up with this:

20150810.jpg
20150811.jpg

Could be adapted easily to the class cards, for example.

Feedback welcome, but no download yet, still have to correct some design flaws and make some more boxes. :)

Edited by SirWillibald

Wohoo! Glad to hear it. As much as I love the dice box mine never stays fully closed. (This is propably my fault as I assembled it fairly slopily.) Do the cards stay in there when the boxed is moved around? Do the cards fit if they are sleeved?

Wohoo! Glad to hear it. As much as I love the dice box mine never stays fully closed. (This is propably my fault as I assembled it fairly slopily.) Do the cards stay in there when the boxed is moved around? Do the cards fit if they are sleeved?

All my boxes are designed for FFG sleeves, if not stated otherwise.

Box not closing: Yes, I have to admit that a standard tuckbox closes a little better, but the lid isn't really necessary in this case (comes from the in-game functionality of the X-Wing/Armada box). Hmm. Perhaps I'll change that, you gave me food for thought, thanks! Already have an idea...

Cards staying in place: Yes, at least if the lid is closed. Let me try something out!

Thanks guys!

I did a new version, no lid anymore, did a matchbox this time. Seems better for this purpose. Will do another one for the other three hero classes and one for the imperial classes:

20150812.jpg

20150813.jpg

Don't forget about the two new heroes coming (probably next week), but it makes sense with how you produce that you'd wait for those to be available!

Don't forget about the two new heroes coming (probably next week), but it makes sense with how you produce that you'd wait for those to be available!

Yes, I know, and while you're right about waiting until Twin Shadows is available, I'll probably stick to the 3-slots-per-box system anyway. Various reasons:

1. Consistent size looks better and is easier to store

2. Producing various sizes would be much work

3. More heroes will follow in the future

All three class cards boxes done, btw...

Edited by SirWillibald

TBH I don't like assigning separate compartments for each hero's class cards. It seems inefficient and over-engineered for cards that won't see regular use. Normally you decide on 4 heroes, grab their cards and store them separately for the duration of a campaign in a "hero bag" anyway. And it just rubs me to wrong way having to make a new slot for every new hero. Feels like a poorly designed database where a new column is created for each new user.

A regular deck box that could house for example 12 heroes worth of cards feels more natural to me. Could be just me though.

Btw, I mentioned those hero bags. Please, do make four snazzy boxes for that purposes. It needs to house class cards, both purchased and unpurchased, and items/rewards. :)

TBH I don't like assigning separate compartments for each hero's class cards. It seems inefficient and over-engineered for cards that won't see regular use. Normally you decide on 4 heroes, grab their cards and store them separately for the duration of a campaign in a "hero bag" anyway. And it just rubs me to wrong way having to make a new slot for every new hero. Feels like a poorly designed database where a new column is created for each new user.A regular deck box that could house for example 12 heroes worth of cards feels more natural to me. Could be just me though.Btw, I mentioned those hero bags. Please, do make four snazzy boxes for that purposes. It needs to house class cards, both purchased and unpurchased, and items/rewards. :)

I see your point, that's the reason why I intend to make standard tuckboxes for everything as well, and of course there will be a tuckbox for all hero class cards as well (might have to split it somewhere in the future, or I do a separate box for each expansion). I just wanted to have some optional variety.

And even if I hadn't a chance to actually play the campaign yet the "hero bags" were the first thing that came to my mind, should be very useful. Consider it done!

Edited by SirWillibald

Here's another preview, I started work on the standard tuckboxes for mini cards:

tuckbo10.jpg

Going to test build it later, the other boxes won't be much of a problem, I'm quite fast by now (thanks to all the practice from my other boxes).

And maybe you can help me:

I'm thinking how to tuck away the vast amount of command cards. There are over 50 only in the base game and about 50 in the first wave of figures. No chance to fit this amount into a single tuckbox.

Am I right that most of the cards aren't faction specific (besides the ones explicitly stating otherwise by symbol or figure name)? So there's no reasonable way of grouping them? Perhaps I'll do a large matchbox...

If anybody has a better idea, let me hear it!

maybe a box like you did with the VSD and AFII in Armada. Something like this?

51gQq5ToOqL._SX300_.jpg

Edit I forgot to say for the supply deck it might be a good idea to do one of these:

Armada_DamageDeckBox_Main.jpg

I love using this in Armada and think they would be perfect for the supply deck.

Edited by Swusn

These look amazing.  What type of paper do you use to make these?  I've been using cardstock for some various projects, but this looks like it would benefit from some crisper, glossy type of paper.  My cardstock from Staples is still rough in texture and would not fold well, IMO.

These look amazing.  What type of paper do you use to make these?  I've been using cardstock for some various projects, but this looks like it would benefit from some crisper, glossy type of paper.  My cardstock from Staples is still rough in texture and would not fold well, IMO.

110lb card stock does the trick. check out his website at http://sirwillibald.piratesoftatooine.de/for more of his work.

Note: If I find out they make glossy card stock I will be starting over from scratch.

I'm thinking how to tuck away the vast amount of command cards. There are over 50 only in the base game and about 50 in the first wave of figures. No chance to fit this amount into a single tuckbox.

Am I right that most of the cards aren't faction specific (besides the ones explicitly stating otherwise by symbol or figure name)? So there's no reasonable way of grouping them? Perhaps I'll do a large matchbox...

I think the matchbox would be best and maybe leave it mostly blank. I know I like to build my command deck based on points, some use the named restrictions. Some of the cards have two restrictions, so grouping them is virtually impossible with simple labels. There are only a few that are name specific (usually one per u inquest character) and a couple more that are faction specific. Not sure if there are enough to warrant a separate box. The match box(es) would allow each player to sort the large number of cards however he wants to. Personally, I would prefer smaller ones and just print two or three as we get more expansions down the road instead of one really big one. Others might disagree.

Ultimately, I will probably print out and use whatever you devise. The boxes have been great for me for Armada and I am so glad to see you are expanding into IA.

Wow, guys, thanks for all the nice feedback and tips, much appreciated!

maybe a box like you did with the VSD and AFII in Armada. Something like this?

51gQq5ToOqL._SX300_.jpg

Edit I forgot to say for the supply deck it might be a good idea to do one of these:

[snip Armada DamageDispenserBox]

I love using this in Armada and think they would be perfect for the supply deck.

Good idea with the dispenser! I hadn't noticed yet that the supply cards are dealt in-game. Have to try if it works, the supply cards box is not that thick. Perhaps you'll get both.

110lb card stock does the trick. check out his website at http://sirwillibald.piratesoftatooine.de/for more of his work.

Note: If I find out they make glossy card stock I will be starting over from scratch.

Thanks for answering, even though you'd better use http://www.sirwillibald.comjust to be on the safe side.

Glossy paper: My own paper isn't glossy, either, but you might give it a try with glossy photo paper. Here in germany it's available in A4 size, it's very thick (slightly more than 110lb) but foldable. It looks very shiny but personally I dislike the feel of it. Semiglossy paper might be great, haven't found that yet.

I think the matchbox would be best and maybe leave it mostly blank. I know I like to build my command deck based on points, some use the named restrictions. Some of the cards have two restrictions, so grouping them is virtually impossible with simple labels. There are only a few that are name specific (usually one per u inquest character) and a couple more that are faction specific. Not sure if there are enough to warrant a separate box. The match box(es) would allow each player to sort the large number of cards however he wants to. Personally, I would prefer smaller ones and just print two or three as we get more expansions down the road instead of one really big one. Others might disagree.

Ultimately, I will probably print out and use whatever you devise. The boxes have been great for me for Armada and I am so glad to see you are expanding into IA.

Think I'll take your word and upload something completely stupid and ask you for photos ;)

Joking aside, thanks a lot for your nice words, I'm flattered. You're reasoning concerning the matchbox version is quite good, think I'll give that a try and stick to the same size as above. Each compartement holds 20 sleeved cards with ease, so building two of these gives you room for 120 cards. Should be enough for the beginning.

Wow. Simply amazing...

I'd like to see horizontal versions of the tuckboxes and maybe in may native tongue (italian).

Maybe you can provide a template....

Thanks! But I fear that horizontal versions are not planned at the moment, would mean to tweak and rearrange each single tuckbox. That's quite some work. I can add it to my list, but won't make any promises.

Italian verions are possible, in fact I could it myself if you provide phrases. But, same problem, lots of little adjustments, clicks, and pdf making. I can give it a try with a template, but again, might take some time (X-Wing wave 7 hangars will keep me busy).

Pure awesome! Really like the design and graphical feel of the boxes :)

Thanks a lot, always nice to read such comments! :)

And here are a few more previews, all mini cards are "tuckboxed" (no big tuckbox for the command cards yet, have to design one first. But the matchbox works well!).

unbena10.jpg

unbena11.jpg

Rebels get red color scheme, imperial blue and generic stuff... well, what is it called in english?

As you can see I did tuckboxes for cards that already got a matchbox, I will upload both versions.

Now on to the big cards and when those boxes are done I think I'll take care of the upload...

Edited by SirWillibald

Looks great SirWilli. I would say heneric is gold color. Its easy to forget English is your second language. As your posts and website are very well written. I cannot thank you enough for the work you are putting into this. It is much appreciated.

Edited by Swusn

Looking at your preview it looks like your class card tuck box is made to put multiple heroes cards in there. Is that correct?

Yes, you're right, because I already made the matchbox to hold separate decks. But if you like to have (rather thin) single tuckboxes for each class deck (6x heroes, 3x imperial), why not? The more the merrier! :)