Sign in to follow this  
Lyraeus

Y-Wings win a tournament . . . Who knew

Great to hear...I had a feeling it would do well.

I was in the Dano group. 2 ships is risky in this current meta

Depends on how he flew them,

Meta broken maybe? heh

I have been using the term meta even though I am not 100% in that group. Now that Easy has shown me an interesting build, made me re-evaluate my carrier building concepts, I think the Meta can change but then again I have no info oh how many people flew the VGGG list (if any, which it would not surprise me if no one did).

Easy has always been a squad guy from what I can tell so I am not surprised that all his experience coalesced into a great build.

I wonder what tricks he used, like was he smart with his squadrons and as the Daddy Space Piranhas armed around their targets, did he have his little Y-Wing piranhas go a straight line from one end of that arc to the other so that they stayed in range and could attack ships in the following turns (even if those ships only got hits on the side and not the front, etc) hmmmm

It was me who won in Woking , UK at IBuywargames yesterday with the above list. I think it should be noted it was a very casual tournament, with nine players many of whom had less than ten games under their belt. I myself don't have much more than that probably.

My two b wings were surprisingly effective. They achieved two things of note. In one game they actually made the difference of killing a vsd by dealing critical damage that Dodonna made structural to get me to the ten hp corrupter had with Motti, which in turn shut down a rhymer ball before it could finish my flagship.

In another just the positioning of them protecting salvations flank tipped my opponents hand as to his setup and tactics, which in turn helped me get all my fire power where I wanted it.

I would also add another game with another rebel player at that tournie, the last dice roll of the game was a b wing doing the last point of damage to a victory and giving its controller the win.

So a good day for the much maligned b wing I thought ;)

Whilst I am here I would just like to thank Ian at IBuywargames for great fun day and the gent who came third after I had to face off against on the top table in the last round with him, for spitballing fleets with me over the week before on mess ever, although I think we both ended up running our first suggestions ;)

Edited by Grobb

Great AAR!

It seems to be the trend that many people are forgetting. Not everyone has 50 + games under their belt, heck I maybe 30 games myself. A few reason many people don't have as many games are that this game is less than 6 months old, games take longer than X-Wing, and the buy in is not cheap.

The first reason effects the second, the second effects the first and the third effects both 1 and 2.

Great to hear...I had a feeling it would do well.

I was in the Dano group. 2 ships is risky in this current meta
Depends on how he flew them,

Meta broken maybe? heh

I have been using the term meta even though I am not 100% in that group. Now that Easy has shown me an interesting build, made me re-evaluate my carrier building concepts, I think the Meta can change but then again I have no info oh how many people flew the VGGG list (if any, which it would not surprise me if no one did).

Easy has always been a squad guy from what I can tell so I am not surprised that all his experience coalesced into a great build.

I wonder what tricks he used, like was he smart with his squadrons and as the Daddy Space Piranhas armed around their targets, did he have his little Y-Wing piranhas go a straight line from one end of that arc to the other so that they stayed in range and could attack ships in the following turns (even if those ships only got hits on the side and not the front, etc) hmmmm

Y Wing conga line is my bet!

I was incredibly proud of Easy! I was on Table 2 and so witnessed his last game. It was pretty epic, and almost didn't go his way- but his opponent whiffed a crucial die roll. Like any good commander, he seized that opportunity and won the day!

My 4 ship list did pretty good, but I had a stinkin' bye for round one so I guess I can't claim too much! I did wind up in 2nd, behind Easy by 2 (shoulda been 3- he forgot to score a VP in turn 6 of his last game). Easy faced "The Gencon Special" (3 Glads, a Vic 1 w/ screed and ACMs all around). More to ocme, obviously!

I was the final opponent for the 9 Y-Wing List, and the only one he faced with any squadrons at all. My list was:

Gladiator I

Victory I - Gunnery Teams

Victory 2 - Admiral Motto, Gunnery Teams, H9 Turbolasers

Darth Vader

Soontir Fel

We were on Contested Outpost, with me as start player.

Setup was such that I had the Victory 2 and my fighters oppossing one whale and 5 fighters and my Gladiator and Victory 1 oppossing a whale and 4 fighters.

I jumped my fighters into his 5 ball and killed 1, they spend turns 2,3,4 and 5 locked in combat before I was wiped out. However, my Victory 2 punctured his whale in just 2 shots. Turn 3, 3 damage to the side shield using accuracy to prevent redirect and brace. Turn 4, 6 damage to the hull with a concentrate fire, accuracy for the brace and redirect and close range. Unfortunately I could not turn back fast enough, and without the Y-Wing attacks my Victory 2 was virtually untouched.

On the other front, I advanced my Gladiator quite poorly, took all the fighters to the face, and 2 arcs from his whale. Then I died next turn with another equally poor move, only managing to splash some damage on the fighters with anti-squadron.

My Victory 1 rolled exceptionally poorly, In 2 close range shots with the forward arc I only managed 4 total damage showing, simply not enough to damage his remaining gwhale. We locked and collided a few times, and I got lucky and survived to turn 6 with 9 damage, but my shot again went terrible and I only did something like 3 damage before colliding and being destroyed.

My Gunnery Teams did allow me to splash 5 total squadrons, and he only got 2 rounds of Contested Outpost so the margin was a 7-3.

Honestly he just lobbed his fighters at me without real regards to shields or different arcs, they just attacked, and he didn't spread them out to avoid return fire from Gunnery Teams. But I just couldn't produce enough damage with the Vic I going cold, and my poor flight on the Gladiator probably cost me the extra punch I needed.

He played as well as his list lets you (not an insult, there just aren't many decision layers. Do I Squadron or Squadron? Do I move and attack or attack and move?). I'd say he rolled hot on his attacks on the Gladiator and average the rest of the game, so it balanced I'm sure.

If I were to do it again I'd probably drop the Gladiator, upgrade to a Victory 2 with the same loadout, and change my Fighter screen. I think 3 ships gave me a lot of flexibility though, but a Gladiator without any upgrades was not impressive. I think it only got close range shots 4 times all day. H9 Turbolasers and Gunnery Teams were superheroes.

Also the tournament had 11, and only 3 were Imperial, and one of those was a VGGG list, to clarify. Most of the Rebel lists were 2 whale, maybe all of them actually.

I ran 2 whales and 2 corvettes.

There were 4 Imps out of 11 (I had the Bye round one so got to peep lists!): VGGG, Ravenor's imps, A 2 VSD + Squadrons build, and a 2 Glad + 1 Vic build.

Rebels had 7 lists- Eric Riha and I's 4 ship + 2 Guppy build, Easy's Y horde, Justin's 2 Gups + a Nebulon + 4 As build, a Guppy, Neb, 2 Corvettes build. Abe had 2 Guppies, and 2 Corvettes too iirc- might have been one Corvette. I forget the other Reb builds, but yeah- Guppies were a common site!

Hi Ravenorjrp!

Great game yesterday I had lot of fun and you put up a tough fight. Actually my first opponent also had a minor fighter screen and a Neb w/Yavaris. Those gunnery teams really had a field day and lead to the downing of a lot of Ys after they were weakened by the fighters. I definitely had some misplacement on my squadrons but my goal with them was to try to always keep them in range of carriers and attacking zones the Assault Frigates could hit regardless of shield value of the hullzone they were attacking. I imagined the Ys much a like a High Explosive Anti Tank Sabot. The Ys weaken shields and exhaust tokens cause a bit of damage for, hopefully a side arc shot from the Assault Frigate to finish off the target ship. 

By no means do I believe this to be some kind of mega list or a consistent tournament winning list. I just want to build something that maxed out on squadrons to try the other end of extreme in terms of list building and try something that goes against the anti-squadron "meta" I see floating around the interwebs. I had a lot of fun throwing black dice all over the place and mining damage decks for effective crits. I am sure we will have quite  the discussion come the next episode of IFF

Gamer's Armory was a great shop and I hope to make it down there again sometime to play again with all you guys.  :D

Edited by Chancellor87

Also was present for this shindig, and hope to give a good write up with a few pics soon. I think and hope that everyone involved had a great time. It was our LGS's first tournament after a small community builder event. We had a good turnout compared to what we've been working with in the past and thus we're glad some out of towners came in to spice things up. The winning list was very fun looking. A hard counter to the current meta. My first opponent, who had come with a squadron heavy list (and noticed very quickly he was a minority) would have had the "easiest" time against the winning list. But that's the rock, paper, scissors of tournaments - if you've ever looked at Warmachine/Hordes competitively you'll see it could be so much worse. That game is rock, paper, scissors on steroids. 

Still, I think most people had a good time. I know I had some great battles that I'll remember for a while.

I am so happy to hear the 9 Ys pulled it off.  As a fan of both squadrons in general and Y-wings in particular, I am thrilled.  Still not sure I can afford 9 Y-wings however.  ;)

Thanks,

Duncan

Tell me about it. . . I want to be able to field every conceivable list but my wallet has this nasty habit of reminding me I am broke. . .

I was the guy who got kicked in his VSDs butt by the B-Wing.  :D

Big props to Chance winning the day and showing that a solid strategy and skillz can break the 'meta'. 

Looking forward to hear about it on the next IFF episode. 

Edited by florianhess

9 Y-wings is weak. should've been 10

9 seems perfect. You only need 1 squadron token per ship to get to activate all 9. That means you can get each ship a token and alternate which ship activates 5 squadrons at a time. That way you don't waste time needing more tokens.

I cannot wait for the next IFF as well.  I'm sure Dan will give you crap for the odd number of fighters! 

by the way my wife started listening to the pod cast just to hear Dan say "Sta Wors"

I've wanted to try lots of Y-wings for a long time but they seem so useless.  I'm going to try now. 

Eric was able to activate all 9 every turn: AFMk IIB x2 each with a base of 3. Each had Expanded Hangars, so there's 8. Then, one of them had Raymus!

Raymus is great. My idea still works though just not for every turn.

Lets see... The only place to get the Flight Controllers card is in the VSD expansion pack.  I own two core sets and 1 VSD expansion.  I don't need a 4th or 5th VSD.  I hope that the Flight Controllers card is included with one of the wave 2 expansions (maybe the ISD or the MC80).  As it is I had to locate an additional Flight Controllers card on eBay because I am too impatient to wait.

With 6 Squadrons of Y-Wings I am going to have to buy another couple of Rebel Squadron expansions before I can give this list a try...

Edited by Edsel62

They have one great thing going for them: for their points, they're tough as motherbeasts.

Many games have been decided by sheer number of points lost on squadrons alone. Y-Wings provide the natural advantages of having squadrons and still be expected to survive 6 rounds of play. They deny your opponent the chance to outscore you by solely killing off your fighters.