Sign in to follow this  
Viratin

So, how about Carrier Ships?

Asking for rules "ret-cons" when the game isn't even being played at what will be the standard format moving forward is, in and of itself, asinine.

another gets it!

Totally disagree with both of you, for the following reasons:

1) Rules explicitly limit the points available for squadrons, preventing thematic Rebel fighter swarms vs Imperial capital ships

2) Squadrons feel detached from the main game. I know the focus is on the big ships, but having such a weak squadron mini-game is crippling for a Star Wars game

3) To me, squadrons just seem poorly thought out. I also don't like the fact that each wave 2 'squadron' ship will be more powerful than multiple full squadrons of trained fighters/bombers (smugglers in freighters better at dogfighting than professional fighter pilots in military craft?)

4) It's ludicrous that an ISD can potentially enter a battle and not deploy any of its 6 squadrons

5) The squadron mini-game is largely finished by round 2 or 3

These things cannot change with an increased points limit or with future releases. Not in any way that I can see.

4) It's ludicrous that an ISD can potentially enter a battle and not deploy any of its 6 squadrons

These things cannot change with an increased points limit or with future releases. Not in any way that I can see.

If you're an ISD captain and you decide to go into battle without a full TIE compliment, that's your choice. In the Thrawn/imperial remnant era, TIEs (particularly interceptors) were at a premium and many captains went without and/or didn't deploy what they had in situations when they would take unnecessary losses.

Asking for rules "ret-cons" when the game isn't even being played at what will be the standard format moving forward is, in and of itself, asinine.

Nonsense, I don't need to eat my whole steak to have a valid opinion on the taste. Besides, we are just freely discussing aspects that in our opinion could be improved upon. That is hardly the same as 'asking for retcons'.

What is nonsense is that comparison. But thanks for the laugh.

Here is my 2 cents;

Empire only. 40pt carrier ship. 4 hull. 1 shield around and one red die around/one blue for sqaudrons. 6 command 2 enginering 10 sqaudron, defence tokens evade, evade, brace

Upgrades cards:

Carrier reinforcements 15pts (ships with carrier in title)

- deploy 20pts of fighters non - unique only not from your starting fleet pool, adjacent to this ship upon its activation.

Long range communication 8pts

- squadron commands may be used at 2 times long distance.

Title card: Pain 18pts

- squadrons whom begin there activation within medium range gain one black dice to attack pool and critical hits count.

Avalible upgrade slots:

Commander

Weapons team

3 x offensive retrofit

Defensive retrofit

Title

If you're an ISD captain and you decide to go into battle without a full TIE compliment, that's your choice. In the Thrawn/imperial remnant era, TIEs (particularly interceptors) were at a premium and many captains went without and/or didn't deploy what they had in situations when they would take unnecessary losses.

That's a poor example. The setting for Armada is when both the Imperial and Rebel fleets are at the height of their power. This is NOT a game about the New Republic and Imperial Remnant. During the time period that Armada is set, the only thing that ISD captains considered cheaper than TIEs were the pilots.

I would love FFG to make this Carrier available.

6xw6yc.png

Secutor-class Star Destroyer would fill this role perfectly having quite a large fighter capacity, and being 2.2km would look awesome on the board.

Although I am not fully satisfied with the squadron sub-game at the moment, I would like to wait till at least wave 2 is out on the tables before changing any rules or implementing any new features. Atm it is not possible to implement carriers without either making them a mandatory or an obsolete choice for 95% of fleet compositions - the example brought by Naboobo2000 clearly falling in the former category as it appears so imbalanced to me that I would clearly refuse to play with or against it. 

There might be a place for carriers in a later wave, or a way to modify existing ships (e.g with title cards) to fullfil a more carrier-specific role, but as long as all the scum squadrons are still only on approach I will sit back and brace for their impact.. 

I think Squadrons are fine, and will only get more options once Wave 2 hits.

I'm suspicious of carriers or any other EU stuff. To me Armada should be about Star Destroyers.

Although I am not fully satisfied with the squadron sub-game at the moment, I would like to wait till at least wave 2 is out on the tables before changing any rules or implementing any new features. Atm it is not possible to implement carriers without either making them a mandatory or an obsolete choice for 95% of fleet compositions - the example brought by Naboobo2000 clearly falling in the former category as it appears so imbalanced to me that I would clearly refuse to play with or against it. 

There might be a place for carriers in a later wave, or a way to modify existing ships (e.g with title cards) to fullfil a more carrier-specific role, but as long as all the scum squadrons are still only on approach I will sit back and brace for their impact.. 

I agree completely.

6xw6yc.png

Secutor-class Star Destroyer would fill this role perfectly having quite a large fighter capacity, and being 2.2km would look awesome on the board.

Not a big fan of that design, it looks like a stonemason's trowel. :( Where is it from?

6xw6yc.png

Not a big fan of that design, it looks like a stonemason's trowel. :( Where is it from?

It was originally mentioned in Dark Empire but has been expanded on.

Its a Battlecruiser Carrier class star destroyer. 

I agree that we need to wait for Wave 2 before we truly begin to panic.

My own personal "House Rule" if ship swarm begins to get too powerful is that you have to bring a number of squadrons equal to the Squadron value printed on the ships that you bring.

Doesn't lock you into a certain point value but does keep lists like the Boxing Gladiators from overrunning the meta.

Also, "fluff" wise, it makes sense as everybody's usually bringing their full complement of fighters to the party.

Edited by Bipolar Potter

Also, "fluff" wise, it makes sense as everybody's usually bringing their full complement of fighters to the party.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me in fluff if rebel ships often went into combat with less then a full fighter load.

True, but the opposite part of that is that usually they wouldn't go into combat with ships at all. The Rebellion' whole shtick was making up for the massive disparity in ship-vs-ship capability with far superior fighters, that didn't even need ships to get from place to place.

What no love for my overinflated ship...  You all gotta know when it said 40 pts for a ship that I was pulling someones leg... oh snap I forgot it had Scatter not redirect... :)

No back to reality.  The time for some sort of carrier is Wave 4 and on.  I am more worried about a Super Star Destroyer crushing this game then the release of Carrier.

Naboobo2000

What no love for my overinflated ship...  You all gotta know when it said 40 pts for a ship that I was pulling someones leg... oh snap I forgot it had Scatter not redirect... :)

No back to reality.  The time for some sort of carrier is Wave 4 and on.  I am more worried about a Super Star Destroyer crushing this game then the release of Carrier.

Naboobo2000

I'll put money down you'll see a dedicated carrier before you see a SSD.

SSD just will not work for reasons posted in its own topic  but mostly because the mini would have to be 6 to 10 feet long. and really how would you game that?? :D

Looking at the size of current ships.  CR-90 vs Vic. Come on thats no where close.  They could make a SSD 2 Foot long and be raised off the table similar to the Borg Cube.

Was messing around trying to think of a carrier that could be added and how it can be implemented.

So far I have only looked at Imperial ships. I decided to go with the Ton-Falk-Class Excort Carrier.

The ship is only about 500 meters long and 150 meters in height, lightly armed (has 10 twin laser cannons and some concussion missles) and armored, and can carry a full 6 squadrons (72 fighters).

What I came up with:

Small Base

4 Hull (Was considering dropping to 3, but unsure if that would make it too fragile)

2 Command

2 Engineering

6 Squadron

Tokens: 1 Brace, 1 Redirect

Max Speed: 2

1 yaw at speed 1

"0,1" yaw at speed 2

Shields: 2 Front, 1 Sides, 1 Rear

Battery Armaments:

Front - 2 Red

Sides - 1 Red / 1 Black

Rear - 1 Red

Anti Squadron - 1 Blue

Upgrade Slots: Offensive, Officer, Weapons (maybe one more, but not sure)

For cost I was thinking somewhere around 60.

Thoughts?

Edited by kami689

I think carriers should have even less firepower. Maybe a single blue on each side or something. Look at a modern carrier; they have next no firepower, but a lot of structure and planes. Give it a single blue, and include a few upgrades that extend the length of squadron command or allow a squadron to fire or move twice, or whatever.

I think carriers should have even less firepower. Maybe a single blue on each side or something. Look at a modern carrier; they have next no firepower, but a lot of structure and planes. Give it a single blue, and include a few upgrades that extend the length of squadron command or allow a squadron to fire or move twice, or whatever.

The reason why I went with the battery armaments that I did was because this ship actually does have at least a small amount of firepower. I was more so trying to represent the 10 twin laser canons and missle launcher that it does have.

Also havent delved into the titles or specific upgrade cards yet, that may be what I try to tackle next.

I agree with Ashram... That's too much firepower. I'd think straight blue dice, maybe 1 each side and give it two anti squad blue dice. It's got to be more squadron value than anything on the board now.

Hmmm... Well, I tend to err more on the side of gameplay than canon, so I might not be the guy to ask:). Unfortunately Star Wars is a world where the main battleships are often the best carriers as well, which I don't think is fantastic when it comes to games:(