Dadda1968

I'm New - Maybe I don't get it - But Imperial Assault is starting to be a disappointment

"Oh man, here I was buying a Star Wars game and expecting to win with real world nitty-gritty squad tactics, not with bold, larger-than-life heroics."

That's like saying: "Oh man, here I was watching a Star Wars movie and expecting to see scientifically and physically plausible technology and action, not some poetic space fairytale full of crazy adventures with a backdrop of cool and gritty visuals."

No offence, but this is seriously unintentionally hilariously funny! :P

Edited by Fourtytwo

Expectations have a lot to do with enjoyment.  I think the OP has a view an expectation of Star Wars that he's missing.  IA does a fantastic job of presenting the tension between the Rebels (outnumbered, outgunned, against the clock all the time, but desperate and highly skilled) and the Imperial forces (endless, relentless, vastly more powerful, but fighting against a rag-tag rebel force that can blend in with the general populace, and can only be targeted when they choose to attack or when cornered).

I think the OP is also looking at the hero's HP literally.  Taking wounds doesn't mean getting shot for the heroes, or any character with high HP.  It means they had to exert themselves to avoid getting shot.  Or used up a little more of their luck, which will eventually run out.  Neither of those things can last forever, and only when they get wounded did they actually take damage.  

Also, it's exactly like the films for the Rebels to leave Imperial forces behind them.  They don't stop to kill every Stormtrooper they come across.  Their mission goal always takes precedence.

I think if you watch Rogue 1, you'll see an excellent film version of an IA campaign.  The Rebels desperately struggle to stay one step ahead of the Empire, often at high cost.  

On 1/26/2018 at 11:07 AM, FSD said:

I wonder if the OP has preordered Legion because honestly, I think that’s more the style of game he was looking for in IA. 

I don't know what Legion's rules will be like but I expect loads more unrealistic bonus-stacking, which is the norm nowadays. "Interlocking fields of buffing" seems to be the deal nowadays, for ALL games, instead of the interlocking fields of fire that the OP would enjoy.  Honestly if someone wants to play Star Wars and wants anything approaching real infantry tactics, the best bet right now is probably:

• West End's Star War Miniatures Battles (long oop, core book is cheap on ebay or free as various shady pdf's)
  • Played with loads of used WOTC pre-painted minis. Also cheap on ebay nowadays.

That game was designed for armies between "6 and 60" 25mm models. Looking through the published scenarios I think I came up with an average army size of something like 33.5 or whatever. If you pick up 20 to 30 each of some kind of rebel and imperial grunts, 10 to 20 weapon toting aliens who can be hired by either side, and 10-20 assorted rebel heroes, wardroids, recurring villains, etc. to add variation and story to missions, you'd be all set. There were virtually no special rules to use to your mathematical advantage. Although you could find broken things to exploit if you were a rules lawyer. Thus, ideally it was run with a neutral gamemaster unless you and your opponent saw eye to eye on playing style. A Star Wars fan who loves to look at old civil war battlefield maps and enjoyed art class in school, for example, is kinda right in the WEG D6 wheelhouse. I think the OP (not that he's liable to read this) would love it.  

Who am I kidding I'll get sucked into Legion. It's a Star Wars game for toy soldiers and dice. My willpower won't last forever.

7 hours ago, supersayian said:

I am only buying certain pieces of legion that are not available in IA just to have. I pre-ordered General Veers pack. I am not buying into the main game. I have invested enough into IA.

Any given general Veers model is aesthetically indistinct from Sorrin or whatever his name is. They could have called that model Veers and no one would have noticed anything amiss.

31 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

Any given general Veers model is aesthetically indistinct from Sorrin or whatever his name is. They could have called that model Veers and no one would have noticed anything amiss.

True on that but just a different sculpt that I am after. That is all.

On 1/26/2018 at 10:31 AM, kingbobb said:

I think the OP is also looking at the hero's HP literally.  Taking wounds doesn't mean getting shot for the heroes, or any character with high HP.  It means they had to exert themselves to avoid getting shot.  Or used up a little more of their luck, which will eventually run out.  Neither of those things can last forever, and only when they get wounded did they actually take damage. 

This is how I've always viewed it too - they aren't actually taking that many blaster shots (maybe one or two are clipping them here and there), but they're using up their plot armor. It gradually becomes less and less believable that they would avoid everything, to the point where they have to get semi-seriously injured for the audience to keep suspending their disbelief :D

4 hours ago, Stompburger said:

This is how I've always viewed it too - they aren't actually taking that many blaster shots (maybe one or two are clipping them here and there), but they're using up their plot armor. It gradually becomes less and less believable that they would avoid everything, to the point where they have to get semi-seriously injured for the audience to keep suspending their disbelief :D

Makes sense for those having an armor, just think about Vader's fight against Kirak Infil'a or Vader vs Ahsoka, in both those cases he gets hit but still the wounds ain't lethal, he gets his suit broken yet he can fight on.
As for those who don't have an armor equipped, i imagine their health being like Fatigue, they just keep blocking attacks and consume each time more energy to do that (meanwhile they can get light wounds or so) until they are truly exhausted and the final hit is the one which kills them. You can recall this POV to Ki Adi Mundi's death in Revenge of the Sith, he's able to parry many blaster shots, until there are so many of them he doesn't have the strength and the chance to survive, and dies.