Sign in to follow this  
FlightyBombJack

Potentially crazy Y-wing build

I was going through some list ideas with a friend the other day and we came up with something that is kind of crazy but could work?  It is a weird list but here it is with some potential pros and cons.  I will actually try running the build later in the week, maybe Friday.  I will probably follow up and post the results here too.

The build is all Y-wings, starting with

Dutch Vander (when acquiring a target lock a friendly at range 1-2 may acquire one)

Ion turret

R2-D6 (Allows elite pilot talents)

Squad Leader (as an action give a friendly ship a free action)

Experimental Interface (take a second action and get stressed.

Grey Squad Pilots (two, identical loadouts)

BTL-4A Title ( after an attack, attack again with a turret)

Autoblasters (no evade against normal hits)

Bomb loadout

Proton bombs (deals a crit to all ships at range 1)

Engine upgrade (boost)

R7 astromech (spend target lock to force enemies to reroll attacks)

I might swap out the two proton bombs for giving all of them proximity mines instead.

The general idea is that Dutch would act as support, slowing down ships and giving out free boost actions for his friends.  He would also hand out target locks to the Grey Squad guys and they can spend them to force the other guy to reroll attack dice, hopefully increasing their lifetime.  The Grey squad guys would hopefully try to close the distance with their boosts and use their two attacks to focus down ships (which have hopefully been ioned).  Their bombs should scare people away from getting too close to their rears during all this.

Downsides?

Y-wings are fat and slow and have poor agility.  Also Dutch might be getting stressed here and there are very few options for removing it.  If the formation breaks up or something keeps stressing Dutch the other Y-wings lose their action economy and could get bogged down.  Potentially could fall appart to anything that could limit their poor turning ability any further.

Any thoughts here?

I don't think 3Y lists are very good because they are too easy to destroy. You need at least 4 imho. Also, in this particular list, Dutch is too much of a linchpin---if your opponent kills him first, your gray's are seriously neutered.

Bombs work best on high PS, so the gray's will be able to use them fine on low PS lists, but will never get to use them on PS5+ opponents (unless they make a mistake or forget about them). Probably better to run just one on Dutch, although he is only PS6, so will have the same problem vs PS7+

Proximity mines can work better on low PS (possibly), and having squad leader on Dutch would help with that, but it doesn't eliminate the primary weakness of the list (reliance on Dutch to make it shine)

My friend ran something simmilar and the R7s did help keep them alive, but yeah, the Y-wings are fat and slow.  I am mostly running a Y-wing list cause I just like the ship and they do not seem to be the most viable things these days, so I wanted to try to make them work.

Their reliance on Dutch is something I am worried about, he lacks the same protection the R7s have.  I am not entirely sure how to work around that problem, or how to shave points off to get another Y-wing.  The engine upgrades are things that I am not sure I want to lose for instance.

Doing stuff with just Y-wings is kind of hard because they do not really have a ton of stuff going for them.

My friend ran something simmilar and the R7s did help keep them alive, but yeah, the Y-wings are fat and slow.  I am mostly running a Y-wing list cause I just like the ship and they do not seem to be the most viable things these days, so I wanted to try to make them work.

Their reliance on Dutch is something I am worried about, he lacks the same protection the R7s have.  I am not entirely sure how to work around that problem, or how to shave points off to get another Y-wing.  The engine upgrades are things that I am not sure I want to lose for instance.

Doing stuff with just Y-wings is kind of hard because they do not really have a ton of stuff going for them.

I don't know if I agree with that.  The y-wing has gotten better with the Scum & Villainy release.  R3-A2 is stupid good combined with the BTL-A4 title, and now twin laser turret makes it even more redonkulous (being able to deal 2 stress on anything range 3 is killer for arc-dodgers----the y-wing's greatest bane).

Even if you want to go scum, the y-wing is looking pretty decent with Twin Laser + R4 agromech, although at 26 points, its too much for 4, but there's still quite a few options:

2 Thugs w/ TLT + R4 agro = 26 x 2

4 binayre pirates = 48

I can see this list being pretty strong against pretty much anything.

For Rebels:

Gold w/ TLT, R3-A2, BTL-A4 title = 26

Gold w/ TLT, R5-K6 = 26

2 Blues w/ FCS = 24 x 2

Lots of hull and firepower in this list.  Even more so than BBBBZ or BBBB with accuracy correctors.  Could also replace R5-K6 with R7 if preferred.

These are just examples, not necessarily the best lists ever.  I think y-wings are in a pretty good place right now though...

Edited by blade_mercurial

I don't know if I agree with that.  The y-wing has gotten better with the Scum & Villainy release.  R3-A2 is stupid good combined with the BTL-A4 title, and now twin laser turret makes it even more redonkulous (being able to deal 2 stress on anything range 3 is killer for arc-dodgers----the y-wing's greatest bane).

I think you're making a slight misinterpretation here, R3-A2 triggers when declaring the target of your attack. TLT lets you make the same attack twice, not declare two attacks. So R3-A2 triggers only once.

R3-A2 and the BTL-Title will allow R3-A2 to trigger twice, but at the cost of you gaining two stress as well.

Give it a try, but I'd temper expectations (though if it works, yay, crazy Ys!!!)

Never been a huge fan of Autoblaster Turret with the Y title, it's just too tiny of an area to reliably get use out of.  Anything that can dance around at long range (A-Wings, TIE Interceptors, StarVipers, Engine Upgraded ships, ect) will probably rip you apart.  Like, against a (annoyingly) standard Dash/Corran team, Corran could just fly off the board and go take a nap turn one and I'm pretty sure Dash would be just fine against your entire squad, barring some really terrible flying on his part.

But hey, I love Y-Wings so here's to hoping it works out.  Against swarms/lower PS ships, being able to boost should let you arc-dodge and then potentially line up dropping those Protons on their heads or maneuver yourself behind them.

I think you're making a slight misinterpretation here, R3-A2 triggers when declaring the target of your attack. TLT lets you make the same attack twice, not declare two attacks. So R3-A2 triggers only once.

R3-A2 and the BTL-Title will allow R3-A2 to trigger twice, but at the cost of you gaining two stress as well.

I know that (I said 2 stress above assuming a primary shot followed by the twin lasers).  Its better than ion turret because its range 2-3 so that double stress is easier to apply because the range 3 band is really big (very difficult for arc-dodgers to escape it). 

Edited by blade_mercurial

My current favorite 21 point filler ship, for both scum and rebels is this:

Gold Squad / Thug + Autoblaster Turret + BTL-A4 Title + R2 / Unhinged Astromech

Basically, makes them range 1 death machines.  Because of that, you fly them almost like kamikazes to get them right up into the thick of things make make your opponent try to get through 8 hit points before you're able to get your 5 dice range 1 salvo off on a target, with 2 of those being uncancellable hits because of the autoblaster turret.  The astromech makes them deceptively agile on both fronts, but with a slightly different flavor on each side.  The unhinged makes the overall dial better eliminating everything red except the k-turn.  The R2 makes the dial much more effective at eliminating stress after the k-turn or the hard 3, or tactician, rebel captive, etc.  It really allows you to fly more effectively looking for those range 1 opportunities.  It's a super fun way to fly a Y wing.  2 of these guys have become my support of choice for 58 point Dash.

Now, if you want to go nuts with an all Y wing build, here's what I would recommend:

Gold Squad + Ion Turret + BTL-A4 + R3-A2

3x Gold Squad + Autoblaster Turret + BTL-A4 + R2 Astromech + 4 point options of Shield / Engine Upgrade or 2x Flachette Torps - You can also now update the Autoblaster Turrests to Twin Laser Turrets with those additional 4 points.

-OR-

5x Gold Squad / Thug + Autoblaster Turret + BTL-A4 (have to sacrifice the droid so the dials are a bit more limiting, but you can now fit 5 into a list...that's 40 hit points of range 1 pain)

Edited by barn34

Just ran the build I posted, I won, but it was really a weird match and down to the wire.  I didn't get many chances to use squad leader, I think only two times.  I was up against a very missile heavy group of tie bombers.  I got in close with one of the Y-wing grunts early on took out one of the bombers by turn 2, but some mistakes were made.  A proton bomb damaged Dutch at one point when it was dropped for instance.  And even with the engine upgrades, I find that the Y-wings were easily outmaneuvered.  The guy using the tie bombers was easily able to judge just how wide my best turns would be, which would almost always be a hard 2 followed by a 1 boost.  The autoblaster did work, but it wasn't very reliable just due to the range of the thing.  I lost Dutch about 2/3 of the way through the game when he ate an ion torpedo and then got the crit that caused stress I think.  He was out of commission not long after that.  The lack of boost on Dutch made flying him a challenge compared to the other pilots.

In the end it was down to a grey squadron pilot vs a gamma squadron pilot.  We had about 6 rounds of dancing before my opponent accidentally K-turned off of the board.  Both ships had 1 HP left too, it was a real close game.

The R7s were a great investment though.  In practice the ability to force a guy to re-roll ion or assault missiles is pretty good.

I spam 4 Gold Squadron Pilots , 2 with Ion Cannon Turret and 2 with TLT, and everyone with BTL. I use Targeting Astromotech and R2D2 to fill up the remaining points.

Its surprisingly effective.