Sign in to follow this  
Vorzakk

The Agony of Accuracy

I've never personally had a problem with Accurate and I'm not sure I totally understand what exactly the problem is. Snipers can damage tank? One-shot NPCs?

Can someone just lay out what the issue is most people are having?

I think the problem that there is just no reason not to go for it. Unlike two-weapon-welding (on witch we head exhausting discussions about it being "overpowered") you don't need to built your character around it. You just grab a Longlas at character creation, and you are set for a very long time. 

It is not a problem if the sniper guy kills the cult-leader with a singer well aimed shot, because that's his job and if he couldn't he would feel pretty useless (like in vanilla DH1), but if everyone can do it having a sniper guy is just as pointless. 

Edited by Duskwalker

You also have the option to rule that the accuracy modifier doesn't work on short range as the target is so close that the zoom-in function is counter productive. Like above this could be something to overcome with a talent purchase.

Accurate applies to weapons even without a telescopic sight. i.e. no zoom.

Correct, and it begs the question why accurate pistols dont give a damage bonus like their basic counter parts...

Balance, I presume. And some fluff related to bullet sizes and stuff.

Which pistols are accurate, by the way?

I don't know of any in DH2, haven't been looking very carefully though.

In DH1 there is quite a few, most of them found in Inquisitors handbook, also a melta pistol in one the adventures, think The Black Sepulchre or another in that trilogy.

I am fine with the way RAW rules works (even if it is clearly a quick fix that raises as many questions as it answers), its not really a big issue in my opinion.

Edited by Alox

I've never personally had a problem with Accurate and I'm not sure I totally understand what exactly the problem is. Snipers can damage tank? One-shot NPCs?

I think it's the tank killing thing.

If it's just the tank killing, then make the extra damage of accurate not apply to vehicles. Or, if you want to allow it to damage lightly armoured vehicles, the extra damage is only rolled if the base damage roll is enough to do at least 1 point of damage.

You also have the option to rule that the accuracy modifier doesn't work on short range as the target is so close that the zoom-in function is counter productive. Like above this could be something to overcome with a talent purchase.

Accurate applies to weapons even without a telescopic sight. i.e. no zoom.

Correct, and it begs the question why accurate pistols dont give a damage bonus like their basic counter parts...

Balance, I presume. And some fluff related to bullet sizes and stuff.

Which pistols are accurate, by the way?

I don't know of any in DH2, haven't been looking very carefully though.

In DH1 there is quite a few, most of them found in Inquisitors handbook, also a melta pistol in one the adventures, think The Black Sepulchre or another in that trilogy.

I am fine with the way RAW rules works (even if it is clearly a quick fix that raises as many questions as it answers), its not really a big issue in my opinion.

The needle pistol has accurate. They will probably add some others in some of the other splatbooks. Or at least I hope they do. I feel the armory could either use more flavor weapons, or proper rules for making more unique weapons, or at least more weapon modifications and ammo to add special rules like maybe razor sharp, twin linked, sanctified, felling, and others. (I really like legacy weapons from black crusade >.>)

But as for pistols not getting the damage bonus, even accurate pistols generally don't have the sights necessary for it. If you had a laser sight sure, but pistol ironsights are pretty terrible, and generally don't work well with alternate sights outside of a laser. They also run the risk of being used either in melee or dual wielded. That said, they could just add a line that says "accurate does not work while in melee combat or two weapon wielding," but i doubt they were thinking of that at the time.

But a level 3 talent to get back one of the damage dice on a sniper rifle? yes only the dedicated sniper will go for it, but you also just push people into the "two weapon wielding is king" even more. It also means you might as well use a grenade launcher with krak grenades because the damage is the same. yes its harder to hit with, but its just as hard as getting the 3 degrees of success needed to do 2d10 damage. 

I feel people are still comparing the sniper rifles to autoguns and lasguns and not to flamers, grenade launchers, and scarce melee weapons, any of which could be taken from the start and do tremendous damage. Should we just ban all starting weapons other than autoguns, lasguns, and basic swords? Its a fallacious argument i know, but someone titled this thread "the agony of accuracy" when there are many weapons that are equally as agonizing when players know how to use them. There have also been arguments about flamers and grenades and melee weapons. All of these complaints seem to point back to people wanting lower power levels from starting characters, not the actual balance of weapon qualities.

Edited by BillMcDonagh

If it's just the tank killing, then make the extra damage of accurate not apply to vehicles. Or, if you want to allow it to damage lightly armoured vehicles, the extra damage is only rolled if the base damage roll is enough to do at least 1 point of damage.

That sounds like a rather elegant solution to me. 

That sounds like a rather elegant solution to me. 

I can definitely agree with this one.