Sign in to follow this  
PsychoRocka

Unique Ally Championship 2015

AQ - Arwen. Sticking around helps a lot, and two dependable willpower plus a defense boost to a hero? That's great. Meanwhile, with Galadriel you'd most likely be playing Leadership, and have resources available for those expensive attachments. And even though her three willpower can be great, she leaves play at the end of the round. Additionally, I use Galadriel in hero form very often.

AR - Elrond. My dwarf rule finally prevailed over Gimli son of Gloin! Admittedly, Gimli's readying is a great asset, but Elrond has saved me more than once. Three willpower is great, even for just one round (I know I just made the opposite argument with Galadriel. Bear with me), and he has defended a few times, too. Plus, his three hit points is an archery soak not to be overlooked. But the main thing that wins my vote for Elrond is his ability. He has healed an innumerable amount of damage from my heroes, and removed condition attachments many a time.

AS - Treebeard. The Ent wins this one. I know that the Elves taught Ents to speak, but, personally, I like the Legolas hero better than the ally, as amazing as he is in a Silvan deck. Treebeard's ally stats are one more than his hero stats! I love the hero, but the ally is so useful in readying Ents, and he can easily attack or defend.  

At - Gandalf. Any questions? Sorry, Beorn, but I rarely use you, and although I tend to include Gandalf less than I used to, he is a game-changer whenever he arrives. Not to say Beorn isn't either, but Gandalf's effects, especially dealing four damage to an enemy, have only increased in power over the years. Except card draw. I find I rarely use that one.

Voting on round 4 has closed! Results have been posted! Poor Beorn and Elrond have been knocked out getting slightly less votes than their competitor! Elrond and Galadriel both got trounced by Gimli and Arwen respectively. Final four are Arwen, Gimli, Treebeard and Gandalf. I still think Treebeard will win this whole thing.

Round 5 Semi Finals begin!

A round 5 vote example would be:

AU Arwen
AV Treebeard

Edited by PsychoRocka

AU - Arwen - Like I said last round, I can't believe Gimli made it this far.

AV - Gandalf - Such a tough call here.  Treebeard is great, but he has no chance of helping you until at least round 3.  Gandalf just gives so much versatility.

AU - Arwen - 2 cost lower and an amazing ability, with focused stats. Maybe I should play Gimli a bit more though, evidently a popular ally!

AV - Treebeard - both neutral, both amazing, but in a game that goes on for a few rounds more, Treebeard gives the potential for multi-use on excellent stats. Plus, would be sad to see him trounced at this stage...

AU: Arwen - I give my heart to the evening. Go fetch your axe, Gimli, and see what you can do about it. My Dwarf Rule finally held out! Quite honestly, it was a harder choice than I expected. I go with Arwen though because her ability to grant +1 defense and sentinel is a smidge better than Gimli's readying in my opinion.

AV: Treebeard - Gandalf always has some "urgent" business elsewhere; maybe that's why he rushes off at the end of the round. Again, a tough call, but Treebeard's utility even outside an Ent deck makes him worth it.

AU - Arwen.

AV - Treebeard.

Gimli is nice but Arwen is amazing. Meanwhile Gandalf at this point is often not that great without Sneak Attack. Better to invest in a permanent improvement to your board state rather than a single round boost which will leave you with much the same problems once he leaves again. Treebeard on the other hand offers tremendous value for resources, with his amazing statline and his ability to really ramp up the rest of your Ent deck, or save resources for a power turn with lots of Ent-readying.

AU Arwen

AV Treebeard

I think Gimli is a fine ally and he may prove more powerful than Arwen in the long run. They both provide willpower and sentinel defense in one way or another. Arwen is a bit cheaper and always provides her defense, whereas Gimli can't do both unless a new enemy shows up. It's a difficult decision, but for now I give Arwen the advantage.

Treebeard sticks around and either readies himself or plays nicely with other ents. Gandalf does make a splash, but his cost is high if you aren't bringing him out with Sneak Attack-type effects. Treebeard sticks around and pays for himself while providing round after round of stats better than most heroes.

AU - Arwen - I keep trying to put Gimli in my decks, but unless I'm going mono-Leadership 4-cost is really hard for me to swallow. I guess he doesn't really fit my style.

AV - Gandalf - I love Treebeard. He's an excellently designed card, and he's so versatile. But since the beginning of this game I have always appreciated how spot-on the mechanics and theme of core Gandalf is. He always seems to swoop in at the last minute and save the day.