Sign in to follow this  
PsychoRocka

Unique Ally Championship 2015

S - Galadriel, she has a nice ability and can be very usefull with Sneak Attack

Galadriel only triggers when played from hand, Sneak Attack doesn't work.

Indeed you are right, I use her with sneak attack only when I need to quest better and do not have Gandalf on my deck, not for her ability , but I should have made the clarification my self, thanks  :)

Great idea for an (unique) ally championship! I missed round one, but excited to participate in the others. Here it goes:

S: Galadriel - her ability just leaves Eomund in the dust.

T: Rùmil - in the right deck, his ability can just be devastating to enemies. As a bonus, he has two willpower in Tactics. As a predominantly Tactics player, this is a no-brainer in my book.

U: Saruman - putting an encounter card out of play for even just a round is one of the most powerful effects in the game.

V: Arwen - the plus one defense and sentinel granted to any character on the board outshines Henamarth by a long shot.

W: Haldir - I don't use Dwarves unless I'm playing The Hobbit saga boxes.

X: Gimli - this dwarf is the exception to the rule mentioned above.

Y: Elrond - sorry, Gleowine, the Lord of Rivendell is just better.

Z: Orophin - recall my dwarf rule.

AA: Treebeard - allies that can pay for things are simply spectacular.

AB: Faramir - this one was close, but willpower boosting is invaluable.

AC: Legolas - card draw in Tactics. Yes!

AD: Boromir - I vote for him because Gamling hasn't been released yet, and therefore I can't properly rate him.

AE: Bofur - Again, two willpower in Tactics makes him worth it. I might need to modify that dwarf rule . . .

AF: Skinbark - there are no words to describe his utility.

AG: Bill the Pony - Bill for the win!

AH: Gandalf - I feel bad for Landroval . . .

S - Galadriel

T - Rumil

U - Saruman

V - Arwen

W - Haldir of Lorien

X - Gimli

Y - Elrond

Z - Bofur

AA - Treebeard

AB - Faramir

AC - Legolas

AD - Boromir

AE - Anborn

AF - Skinbark

AG - Bill the Pony

AH - Gandalf core

S: Galadriel – I foresee Galadriel not having any problems in her bracket until AQ when she faces Arwen.

T: Rumil – Elf vs. “Elf”. The archer wins

U: Saruman

V: Arwen – Henemarth is cool and all, but this is Magali at her finest!

W: Haldir of Lorien

X: Gimli – who ears the beard better? …Gimli

Y: Gleowine – I’ll always vote for a minstrel instead of Steven Seagal

Z: Bofur (spirit) – I have fond memories of using Bofur’s questing trick

AA: Treebeard – I feel bad for Butterbur in this match-up. At least the two of them chare a fondness for hobbits.

AB: Faramir – It’s a shame Faramir was matched against Bregalad, I wanted this Ent of go far

AC: Legolas – Blowing hair in battle always beats nicely combed while sulking

AD: Gamling – Boromir is cool and all, but in this specific match-up, Gamling has the better beard/shield combination.

AE: Bofur (Tactics) – I’d rather fetch weapons than fetch traps

AF: Beorn – Only because I think Beorn hates orces just a smidge more than Skinbark

AG: Bill the Pony – the tenth member of The Fellowship!

AH: Gandalf

S – Eomund – in part because I haven’t used Galadriel much, but also I’ve just rediscovered how much fun Eomund’s leaving play effect is

T – Rumil – maybe not as consistent as Elfhelm, but it’s a great moment when Rumil fires properly, and his stats are very handy

U – Saruman – my new favourite ally. Totally rocked in my current campaign, and his ability to ignore one staging area card can be very potent

V – Arwen – Henamarth is a total dude in solo play, but Arwen is just that bit more versatile for what she does (and her ability activates on exhausting, which is amazing)

W – Haldir – rounded stats, and useful ranged/sentinel. Awesome.

X – Hama – for his sphere, Hama is so effective as a defender. It’s mostly for the sphere, because Gimli is really good too...

Y – Elrond – good stats, and can remove conditions on entering play. So useful.

Z – Bofur – his stats are useful, and his ability is part of so many good combos etc.

AA – Treebeard – a neutral ally for 4 cost who generates resources to ready himself. Oh yes.

AB – Faramir – his ability is incredible, and his stats are good, and he’s in a resource rich sphere. I’m not gonna be surprised if he wins the overall contest.

AC – Legolas – ability is better than Denethor’s, and he’s the same cost

AD – Boromir – great ability and stats, and perhaps more versatile

AE – Bofur – I think he’s got 2 willpower in tactics, and a handy ability. Anborn is a little too expensive, and then his ability seems a waste of his stats (although with Faramir hero in leadership...)

AF – Beorn – for those moments when you gotta smash, there’s few as good as him. plus he's a bear

AG – Bill – free ally that boost hobbit stats! plus Bill’s cost is lower for a useful ally, and Dori often feels too expensive for what he does (especially with the new damage cancellation ally)

AH – Gandalf – close cost comparison, but Gandalf has great stats and obviously a very useful set of effects. Plus he can be abused horribly with sneak attack

S - Galadriel
T - Rumil
U - Saruman
V - Arwen
W - Haldir of Lorien
X - Hama
Y - Elrond
Z - Orophin
AA - Treebeard
AB - Quickbeam
AC - Legolas
AD - Gamling
AE - Bofur (Tactics)
AF - Beorn
AG- Bill the Pony
AH- Gandalf (Core)

The Faramir vs. Quickbeam matchup is just not fair. Those two should not have met until much later in the contest.

Edited by danpoage

I'll give some comentary on the choices this time.

S - Galadriel - even though Eomund has a great ability that you can strategize around, Galadriel relies a bit more on luck to find a cool attachment. I'll go with Galadriel though because she has worked great for me and the 3 willpower should not be dismissed.

T - Elfhelm - He has good stats and his ability has come in handy many times.

U - Saruman - At first I didn't like him so much but he whas worked great in many of my decks so long as you can swallow the 3 threat.

V - Arwen - Henamarth is amazing as other have said but Arwen is just so solid in any deck that runs Spirit.

W - Haldir - In solo his ability is almost useless, but he has sentimental value for me, and in the Elrold Gandalf deck he is a good all around solid ally you can play for free.

X - Hama - Still haven't played either of them, but I want to play Hama more.

Y - Elrond - He has proved extremely versatile in many of my decks, whereas Gleowine has only really shined for me in Leadership decks that don't run Lore and need the card draw.

Z - Orophin - I just love the silvan elves, and he is one of my favorite silvan allies.

AA - Treebeard - He is just so good.

AB - Faramir - Kind of an unfair battle as Dan said, as both allies are incredibly powerful overall. Just going with Faramir because Leadership is my favorite sphere.

AC - Legolas - No real reason to explain why. Ingold is what ally Denethor should have been. Cheaper and far more reliable in a mono-Leadership deck.

AD - Boromir - I wanna say Gamling here since I feel he's going to be really powerful and his art is amazing, but Boromir has proved himself to be great in battle numerous times.

AE - Anborn - These 2 allies are great, but I'll go with Anborn as I really want to build a trap deck right now.

AF - Beorn - the quintessential tank ally, plus he doesn't enter play exhausted.

AG - Bill the Pony - A free 1/1/0 ally that boosts hobbits and can be used as A Very Good Tale fodder? Yes please. Plus, he's really iconic and has great art.

AH - Gandalf - Same reason as before, just an incredible ally, especially in a deck that runs Leadership. 

S - Galadriel

T - Rumil

U - Saruman

V - Henamarth Riversong

W - Bifur

X - Hama

Y - Gleowine

Z - Bofur (Spirit)

AA - Treebeard

AB - Faramir

AC - Legolas

AD - Boromir

AE - Anborn (Lore)

AF - Beorn

AG - Bill the Pony

AH - Gandalf (Core set)

S Galadriel

T Elfhelm

U Ingold

V Arwen

W Haldir of Lorien

X Gimli

Y Elrond

Z Bofur (spirit)

AA Treebeard

AB Faramir

AC Legolas

AD Gamling

AE Bofur (tactics)

AF Skinbark

AG Bill the Pony

AH Gandalf (core)

This time was much easier, a lot of blow outs (or what should be blow outs). I am a fan of Hama, but Gimli is amazing!

This time is a lot more difficult to me, since there are many allies I haven't had the chance to play yet (or that I haven't played enough) that are up against real contenders.

S Galadriel. This is actually pretty easy, as Galadriel is very good for all Leadership-heavy decks (that usually lack card draw), whereas Eomund is a much more situational card.

T Rumil. Haven't played either I lot, but my nod goes to Rumil as he can find space in some Tactics deck focused on direct damage (he enables Pursuing the Enemy too).
U Ingold. Saruman's very situational, and Doomed 3 is huge. Hard to judge considering I've never played Ingold, but the latter looks like a good choice for the typical leadership Gondor deck, so he's potentially more useful.
V Arwen. No brainer, sorry Hena.
W Bifur. High risk of hero clash for both, but Bifur wins the day as he is very good in the right deck, whereas Haldir ally is really overcosted for a unique, considering current standards; his only saving grace are the keywords, but the price is so high that you'll almost never want to play him in a sphere that is full of drawing effects - so less chances of 4 spare resources.
X Gimli. Gimli has a high cost, but action advantage with good stats (possibly improved by Dain). Hama is cheaper and benefits from Rohan synergy, whereas Gimli is not sure to find room in a dwarf deck; however the latter gives better value when he is out. A hard call but I'll choose the Dwarf, this time.
Y Gleowine. Very hard choice; both have their merits, but I'll choose Gleowine since he can provide fantastic value in Solo or in a 2P game, especially when playing with decks that would otherwise lack some card draw.
Z Bofur (spirit). The Dwarf is a life saver, and that's what usually makes the difference between victory and defeat: having help when you're down. Orophin is good only in a Silvan, and even in there is not a fundamental piece: nice to have but not game changing.
AA Treebeard. Another no-brainer.
AB Quickbeam. Ouch, dilemma. Faramir for 3-4 player games, Quickbeam for Solo/2P. Considering cheap allies with awesome stats are always welcome whereas global WP boost is very powerful but you could do without (plus Faramir is very expensive at 4 cost), I'll give my vote to the Ent.
AC Legolas. Legolas is worth every single resource with his stats and ability, whereas Denethor is just average.
AD Gamling. I haven't played much with either, but I like Gamling better for his deckbuilding potential. Not a fan of either card though.
AE Bofur (tactics). Bofur performs an important function within the Tactics sphere, whereas Anborn's usefulness is more limited (and is more expensive).
AF Skinbark. I choose the Ent for flavor mainly, since I like the design of this card a lot. He is very situational, even though a lot of quests feature Orcs. On the other side, Beorn is the typical cheat-me-into-play ally, and I've actually used him in a few decks, so I quite like him. There's not a clear winner for me.
AG Bill the Pony. Free ally and love the character.
AH Gandalf (core). No brainer.

S- Galadriel

T- Rumil

U- Saruman

V- Arwen

W- Haldir of Lorien

X- Gimli

Y- Elrond

Z- Orophin

AA- Treebeard

AB- Quickbeam

AC- Legolas

AD- Boromir

AE- Bofur (Tactics)

AF- Beorn

AG- Bill the Pony

AH- Gandalf (Core)

S.  Galadriel.  One shot, but 3 WP, a possible free attachment, and reordering cards.

T.  Elfhelm.  Like the ongoing power over the one-time power.

U.  Saruman.  Even with doomed, extremely powerful effect.

V.  Arwen.  Love the benefit from exhaustion for a quester.

W.  Bifur.  In a dwarf deck.

X.  Gimli.  Can quest and fight regularly.

Y.  Gleowine.  Love the cheap repeatable card draw.  Hard choice.

Z.  Bofur (spirit).  Cheap emergency quester when you need one.

AA.  Treebeard.  Awesome stats, can pay for ents, and can ready ents (including himself)

AB.  Quickbeam.  Faramir's a living STWB, but Quickbeam's so good for so little cost.

AC.  Legolas.  Tactics repeatable card draw who doesn't require keeping heroes healthy

AD.  Gamling.  Boromir's awesome, but Gamling is what Rohirrim need.

AE.  Bofur (tactics).  2 WP in tactics with a useful ability.

AF.  Beorn.  Awesome with sneak attack

AG.  Bill the Pony.  Free ally (with Sam) that makes hobbits less fragile

AH.  Gandalf (core).  Even more awesome than Beorn with sneak attack

S: Eomund - I really like Galadriel, but Eomund is one of the vital pieces that makes Rohan decks so fun

T: Rumil - Even in my Rohan decks, Elfhelm always seems too expensive.

U: Saruman - As much as I love how Ingold works in Gondor decks, Saruman always makes a splash when he hits the table.

V: Henamarth - Arwen is one of those cards that feels really poorly balanced. I have trouble building any kind of blue deck without her. I always find myself building a "Rohan Deck (plus Arwen)" or "Dunedain Deck (plus Arwen)". Auto-include cards are boring, so my vote goes to Henamarth here.

W: Haldir - It's a narrow one, but Haldir is so niche nowadays that I feel good when I get him to work (usually in a Silvan deck).

X: Hama - I always get happy when I see Hama in my hand in my Rohan decks. Love his ability to defend two enemies and survive.

Y: Elrond - I love Gleowine, but Elrond was a sorely needed Condition-canceler-plus-other-stuff-if-there's-no-conditions-in-this-quest card.

Z: Bofur (spirit) - Somehow Orophin always ends up getting cut from my Silvan decks, but Bofur finds his way into all kinds of decks, even non-dwarf ones. Gotta love cheap willpower.

AA: Treebeard - I have never been able to get Barliman to work for me. :(

AB: Faramir - Both cards are a little overpowered. At least Faramir is expensive, making him an interesting choice to try to get to work. There's no reason not to include Quickbeam in a Lore deck, so that makes me grumpy. See V above.

AC: Legolas - Repeatable card draw for Tactics fills a void.

AD: Gamling - Love what he did for the Rohan archetype.

AE: Bofur (tactics) - He always seems to end up in my Tactics decks because he has 2 willpower.

AF: Beorn - It feels so good to sneak attack Beorn in for the kill.

AG: Bill the Pony - I like Sam, I like free allies, I like Bill the Pony.

AH: Gandalf (Core Set) - Mostly because he brings threat reduction to any deck, which gives me a little more freedom when deckbuilding.

S - Galadriel - Eomund can be good these days, but Galadriel brings a lot of value.

T - Rumil - I don't know, but I never get that much use out of Elfhelm.

U - Saruman - I think Ingold is better most of the time, but Saruman has the bigger impact and can win you a game.

V - Arwen - Tough one as Henamarth is so good in solo play, but Arwen may just be my pick for this whole thing.

W - Haldir - Bifur is great for Dwarf decks, but Haldir is more generally useful.

X - Gimli - So good once he hits the table.

Y - Elrond - Gleowine is good, but Elrond provides a solution to a lot of problems at once.

Z - Orophin - Bofur is more versatile, but Orophin is a monster for Silvan decks.

AA - Treebeard - Poor Barliman never had a chance here. He's a sentimental favorite, but Treebeard is just too good.

AB - Faramir - What a matchup! Quickbeam is one of the best allies in the whole game in terms of stats. But I'll give the nod to Faramir for having such a huge impact and potentially winning a game on his own.

AC - Legolas - That card draw is more useful and rare than Denethor's willpower that can only get worse.

AD - Gamling - I do like Boromir, but Gamling is key for his trait.

AE - Bofur (Tactics) - Bofur is a bit cheaper, has rare willpower for his sphere, and is very useful for weapon decks.

AF - Beorn - Skinbark is strong no doubt, but Beorn is a game-changer with Sneak Attack, Elf-stone, etc.

AG - Dori - I love free allies, but Dori is a valuable damage valve.

AH - Gandalf - Landroval can definitely save your bacon, but Gandalf does it more consistently.

Yes, let those Beorn votes roll in! I've got to hit the campaign stump for Beorn. Vote for the candidate that can transform into a freakin' bear, that can tame a troll with a flick of his wrist, that brushes his teeth with spare bits of Nazgul.

Vote Beorn 2015!

S - Galadriel, for the versatility. And the artwork on Keen as Lances.

T - Rumil. Direct damage hasn't had much love recently, but Rumil keeps the torch high.

U - Saruman. Who doesn't love the master of Doom?

V - Arwen. She's a team player.

W - Haldir. Still strong, despite the hero version taking the spotlight and the competition from Quickbeam.

X - Gimli. Because he has an axe.

Y - Elrond. He is the Lord of Rivendell, half-elven, father of Arwen, wielder of Vilya, member of the White Council, and all-around wise-guy badass. Gleowine has a harp. No contest.

Z - Bofur. +2 instant willpower on a stick is still a great deal.

AA - Treebeard. He remembers Tasarinan, Ossiriand, Neldoreth, Dorthonion and countless other lands lost beneath the waves. Barliman can't even remember one letter.

AB - Faramir. A team-player and a game-changer rolled into one. Quickbeam might be a hasty ent, but Faramir turned down the One Ring.

AC - Legolas. Because Gimli can't have all the glory.

AD - Gamling. He single-handedly resurrects the Rohan archetype, and Boromir can't even stand up to his ridiculously OP hero version. (Or the other one, even).

AE - Bofur. 2 willpower in tactics? For 3 resources? And a handy ability as icing on the cake? I'll take all of that you got.

AF - Beorn. He's a bear. And a man. It's complicated. Unless you're an orc. In which case it's very simple... and quick.

AG - Bill. It's a tough toss-up between the understated support characters. Dori deserves a shout-out, definitely, for lugging a bargain-barrel burglar through goblin-infested tunnels. But Bill's just a pony. He has to compete with the likes of Firefoot, Arod, and the might Shadowfax. And yet who do people remember? Bill. The Pony. For Pony.

AH - Gandalf. 'Nough said.

S: Galadriel

T: Rumil

U: Saruman

V: Arwen

W: Bifur

X: Hama

Y: Gleowine

Z: Oorphin

AA: Treebeard

AB: Faramir

AC: Legolas