Sign in to follow this  
Rozial

Planet Ownership

If a party discovers an unknown, uninhabited planet can they claim ownership or how does it work in the lore? Do they have to register it? Especially if it's in the Unkown Regions?

If a party discovers an unknown, uninhabited planet can they claim ownership or how does it work in the lore? Do they have to register it? Especially if it's in the Unkown Regions?

I would think that they would have to file a claim with whatever the regional government is in that area. That’s assuming they can find out who claims to be in charge of that space.

Otherwise, I would think that they would just have to duke it out with whomever comes along that might try to take it from them.

Kinda like the old west, in areas where there is no official government.

Yeah it's in the unexplored region. It's Rakata Prime but it hasn't been heard of since 1000 years ago when Darth Bane went their. They took the Temple of the Ancients and are converting it into a stronghold. The only real life on the planet at this point are the rancors, as well as other, smaller, species. They're hoping to create their own Mercenary Guild with the planet as they're operating home.

Yeah it's in the unexplored region. It's Rakata Prime but it hasn't been heard of since 1000 years ago when Darth Bane went their. They took the Temple of the Ancients and are converting it into a stronghold. The only real life on the planet at this point are the rancors, as well as other, smaller, species. They're hoping to create their own Mercenary Guild with the planet as they're operating home.

Oh, there are going to be dark, secret forces that are thousands of years old that definitely know about that place, and they’ve been looking for it … for a very long time. Woe betide the PCs when they get discovered. The PCs are going to wish that Darth Vader and the Emperor were still alive, so that they could surrender to the Lesser Evils, as opposed to what will come to find them.

I have absolutely no doubt that both Vader and Sidious knows about Rakata Prime.

It has been discovered several times throughout the galactic republics history and certainly exist in its records.

It might not be that they go there, but if the characters tries to file a claim to the planet, they'll not only get shut down (HARD) by the Empire, but since they've actually been to the planet, I'm very certain that Sidious wants them gone to preserve the secrecy of the planet.

EDIT: I checked some more and the planet is indeed listed in the Galactic Records from the year 3600BBY or so, but listed as a "historical preserve" which meant you weren't really allowed to go there willy-nilly.

So A: They can't own the planet as it is already registered and, B: They're trespassing.

Edited by OddballE8

Please read this... http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/english_grammar_style/difference_between_their_there.html

There are no "rules" about this, and canon doesn't clarify (even legends), so, at your will my friend ;)

Consider that the empire is a totalitarian governoment that reigns on the core, inner core and a few more colonies. The rest (probably) is controlled by local governoments and probably hutts or mafias at other places. Off course, non-explored, "empty" or industrial planets too.

In my main game, my player dicovered a few of savage planets (1 of them occupated) and also he's co-administrating Onderon with the local forces. So, don't be afraid to create or invent new things, but try to have on your mind the universe "dynamics" to maintain some coherece.

Good luck mate!

Well in Force and Destiny it says that Dromund Kaas, the seat of the Sith Empire, is nothing more than a legend and that Palpatine MIGHT know where it is and it played a larger role in galactic events than Lehon. In fact Korriban, which was on record around the time of Bane so roughly 1,000 BBY, which has been known for a long time is also listed as a myth and no longer in the records although Palpatine may have found and explored that location. Lehon is less known than all of these locations and has had even less happen there. I imagine that even if it's still known of by Palpatine he mostly ignores it as it's already been ransacked and looted. Unfortunately the Star Forge is destroyed so Lehon's value is almost nill.

Well in Force and Destiny it says that Dromund Kaas, the seat of the Sith Empire, is nothing more than a legend and that Palpatine MIGHT know where it is and it played a larger role in galactic events than Lehon. In fact Korriban, which was on record around the time of Bane so roughly 1,000 BBY, which has been known for a long time is also listed as a myth and no longer in the records although Palpatine may have found and explored that location. Lehon is less known than all of these locations and has had even less happen there. I imagine that even if it's still known of by Palpatine he mostly ignores it as it's already been ransacked and looted. Unfortunately the Star Forge is destroyed so Lehon's value is almost nill.

Well sure, but from around 3600 BBY Lehon was a known planet registered as a historical preserve with the galactic republic.

But by the year 1000BBY, when Bane went there "By the time of his arrival, the planet was reasonably well-known, but it was largely ignored because many of the darker aspects of Rakatan history had been suppressed by the Republic and the Jedi."

So, I'd say that it's hardly an unknown planet.

It is well documented as existing, but its importance in historical events is not well known.

So for all intents and purposes, it's a historical preserve and largely ignored.

To me that means there is hardly any presence there (maby a yearly pass by a patrol ship) but the players certainly can't start claiming ownership of the planet, as it is part of the Galactic Empires "territory", despite its location. 

And given that the Emperor most likely knows at least a little about the planet or at the very minimum has access to sealed records of the panets importance, I doubt he'd take kindly to PC's poking around there.

As for Dromund Kaas and Korriban, both of these are listed that way for the same reason as Lehon being largely ignored... the Republic and Jedi have suppressed the knowledge of their location due to their very strong affiliation with the dark side.

Plenty of jedi have gone to either planet and fallen to the dark side, so keeping those hidden is a much safer bet than trying to control them.

Also, Lehon was marked as a historical preserve, because the planet was "discovered" (or re-discovered) when it was largely abandoned.

Korriban and Dromund Kaas, were not. The sith were driven from Korriban once, but returned. Both it and DK were in Sith control up until recently:

Korriban was under sith control up until and during the New Sith Wars. After that:

The world remained desolate until it was taken over by the Commerce Guild just prior to the Clone Wars, c. 24 BBY. Other than Guild employees, the planet was mostly inhabited by those who were unfortunate enough to end up on Korriban and have no way offworld.[18] Eeth Koth led a Republic force to Korriban during the early stages of the war, and the battle cost the lives of many Clone troopers.[19]

For Dromund Kaas:

After the fall of the Sith Empire prior to 2000 BBY, it was effectively abandoned until it became a refuge for the rogue Sith Lord Darth Millennial sometime after 990 BBY.[2] Having rejected the Rule of Two, a doctrine that insisted there only be two Sith at any given time, Millennial sought to begin a new dark side religion on the planet, beginning what would later be known as the Dark Force.[19] Followers of this religion, the so-called Prophets of the Dark Side, would rule the planet for years, until its rediscovery by one Darth Sidious sometime before the onset of the Clone Wars in 22 BBY.[2]

So, while the F&D book name them as legends and myths, that's largely becaus of its "point of view". It is, after all, written for force sensetive PC's during the age of the Empire.

There is no way in hell that the Emperor would allow anyone to know where these two planets were located. (or any of the other former sith empire planets, I'd bet).

Edited by OddballE8

Well if it's not Lehon what would be the correct approach if the PCs found a completely uninhabited world. Could they just get a fleet around it and claim it as theirs?

Well if it's not Lehon what would be the correct approach if the PCs found a completely uninhabited world. Could they just get a fleet around it and claim it as theirs?

How about a Hard K. Outer Rim.  With the answer being related to what the "local" governing authority is.

Despotic: Put a fleet around it and defend it, because someone's going to try to take it from you.

Egalitarian: Register the find with the local establishment and an official grant will be provided to support coloinization, mining or other efforts along with what local defense fleet can be provided.

Corporate: It's yours as long as the proper fees are paid and forms filed.  Then you can pay the sector authority for defense, hire private contractors or provide your own.  Any disputes are to be brought to an arbitrator decided by the Corporate Authority.

Etc.  Have fun with it and tailor it to whoever's ostensibly in control of that area of space.

Well... that depends on the location, I guess.

Wild space or outer rim?

They can probably claim it as theirs. But then they'd face the same problem as anyone claiming land in modern times... if anyone else can move in with a military force and take it over, it's not really yours :)

If it's in the core, colonies, inner/mid rim, then I'd say the Empire would strongly argue that it was theirs and take it over.

They could try to sell the location to a corporation, which in turn could possibly claim it as theirs unless the Empire has a special interest in it, but as a private citizen, you probably can't just claim a planet in the territory of the Empire (or the Hutts for that matter).

Outer rim in the unexplored regions. that chunk of the galaxy with no locations charted for some reason. Not even in the inner rim or core are there any locations. It's just a large wedge of nothing.

Outer rim in the unexplored regions. that chunk of the galaxy with no locations charted for some reason. Not even in the inner rim or core are there any locations. It's just a large wedge of nothing.

The reason is actually explained in wookieepedia.

Apparantly (and this is just off the top of my head, you'll have to check for yourself), the hyperspace currents, or something, are very strange and wild in the "west" part of the galaxy.

This is apparantly because the celestials (or somesuch) did this to stop the rakatan empire from advancing any further into that part of the galaxy.

Something like that at least.

But yeah, finding a planet there, I guess you could claim it for your own... but claim it against whom? I mean, the players can settle there. They could start a colony, but if they start interacting with the Empire again, that would probably count as an illegal colony.

As long as the planet is uninteresting to the Empire, they'll most likely be left alone (maby some rudimentary taxation), but if they find valuable resources there, you can bet your butt that the Imps will take over.

Or a corporation.

Or the hutts.

Point is, you can pretty much claim anything in the galaxy as "yours", but you'll have to defend it from anyone else who wants it.

And if your entire army consists of 3-5 rogues on a light freighter, you're in a heap of trouble :P

Uh, you mean that region of the galaxy that also contains Zonama Sekot (the homeworld of the Yuuzhan Vong) and Csilla (the homeworld of the Chiss)?

Yeah, I’m not so sure I’d want to be anywhere remotely close to either of those.

Or Rakata Prime, for that matter. But then, you may have already dug the grave that they would want to bury themselves in on that one…. That is, if they were ever allowed to die, so that their souls could actually rest. ;)

Uh, you mean that region of the galaxy that also contains Zonama Sekot (the homeworld of the Yuuzhan Vong) and Csilla (the homeworld of the Chiss)?

Yeah, I’m not so sure I’d want to be anywhere remotely close to either of those.

Or Rakata Prime, for that matter. But then, you may have already dug the grave that they would want to bury themselves in on that one…. That is, if they were ever allowed to die, so that their souls could actually rest. ;)

That is a HUGE area though... it's almost 50% of the galaxy that's more or less completely unknown. Plenty of room to find unknown planets.

That is a HUGE area though... it's almost 50% of the galaxy that's more or less completely unknown. Plenty of room to find unknown planets.

Speaking only for myself, if that’s the half that has Zonama Sekot, Csilla, and Rakata Prime, then maybe that’s the half that is best left alone.

But YMMV.

Speaking only for myself, if that’s the half that has Zonama Sekot, Csilla, and Rakata Prime, then maybe that’s the half that is best left alone.

But YMMV.

To be fair, Zonama Sekot doesn't wind up in the Unknown Regions until the Legacy Era, well after the Yuuzhan Vong war. Prior to that it's way up outside the north edge of the galaxy, in grid M1.

But YMMV.

That's still just three systems amongst millions.

That's like saying you won't go into the outer rim because Korriban and Dromund Kaas are in there... 

:)

Owning a planet is going to have to be a big requirement, angry natives who don't much fancy the idea of being slaves, colonists, presumably, the funds to build it into a habitable place. Let him do it, but have it as a persistent credit sink

He did say "uninhabited" :)

Owning a planet is going to have to be a big requirement, angry natives who don't much fancy the idea of being slaves, colonists, presumably, the funds to build it into a habitable place. Let him do it, but have it as a persistent credit sink

It can't be a credit sink forever... Otherwise there wouldn't ever be any colonization/exploration/mining efforts by the big organizations.  There needs to be some return on investment after a certain point...

There is a return on investment, which is still a credit sink.  Machinery repair, street repair, cooling repairs, worker disputes... the saying "it takes money to make money" is not well known because it is flawed.  Even when you become rich from it, you are still tied to it.  And if Lando is your primary planet keeper, at some point he is going to lose it all... so, who do you trust?