Sign in to follow this  
WWPDSteven

Intensify Forward Firepower Episode IX- Walkin' in Bespin

Have a listen! Link: http://www.wwpd.net/2015/08/intensify-forward-firepower-episode-ix.html

In Episode IX of Intensify Forward Firepower: Walkin' In Bespin, Skyshuffler, Easy, Dano and Drunk Tarkin have a long talk about everything that went on at GenCon. For starters, Steve gives a review of everything GenCon related and breaks the news about what was revealed in the Fantasy Flight Games In-Flight Review. Afterwards, the crew of the flesh star destroyer review the big tournament - including some tournament list chat - before interviewing the tournament winner. Before the close, thoughts on the future of Armada are mentioned, as well as a recent after action review, are thrown around. Besides all that, the big contest continues!

INTENSE5.jpg

Very thought provoking, as always. I appreciated IceQube's thoughts on initiative, in particular. My starting preference has generally been to go second, even before my group started playing with objectives, since I prefer to have more models on the table and to read and react to what's happening (just a personal play-style preference). On the other hand, the chance to make back-to-back activations with Demolisher as an imperial first player is extremely powerful. With IceQube's list, either way an opponent with a lower bid had a hard choice to make, which seems like an advantage right out of the gates.

I'd started moving away from concentrate fire commands in favor of either squadron commands (if I have more than one squadron, it's more attack dice) or repair commands (generally, I get more attack dice the longer I stay alive), but I hadn't considered navigate commands as a way of increasing offensive power by getting double-arcs (especially for vanilla glads). Mostly this is because I'm not very good at anticipating where opposing ships will move to, so I obviously need to work on that (plus the boxing maneuvers).

Can't wait until there's new content to discuss... :-)

Edited by Rythbryt

I don't know what it is about being second but I ALWAYS lose when I am not first player. . .

that's me:)

I'm pretty sure every single game I have lost was when I was second player

Same, the worse part is it is never by a slim margin it is ALWAYS by a large margin. . .

Great episode. I still say Vykes should listen to the introductions.

-smirks- I would have got that, it would have taken me six months, but I'd have got there :P

What can I say, I think it was Aminal that mentioned last time that it was 'Dano and the boyz', and yeah it kinda is. This still felt like a break in my weekly D&D game. You know, the 60-90 minutes between 15 minutes of combat that people drag me 50 miles away to participate in, where I'm basically quiet the whole time. Yeah, that.

I hadn't heard the Quin interview, so the fact that he went second with a Demolisher was a bit of a surprise. The whole notion of the squadron vs. squadronless being swingy and how the later is geared towards tournament scoring in general was also well taken, and explains a lot locally (I use Margin of Victory for secondary objectives in the local campaign and modify it, but I still hadn't caught that.  I guess it wasn't as pronounced at the casual level, though now I'm going to have to keep an eye on it).

Lets see, not much else I can talk about: the stand thing for name plates has consistently been something I was hoping to figure out for everything from X-wing to Armada for custom names. I just haven't managed to do it in a way that works for the long term. I wonder if thin MDF, cardstock and packing tape would make it hold up.  Hmm, no, don't mind me I'm just muttering.  Victim 1... I like that more than I should have.  On a purely technical note, I like the smaller file size (I've got country-net so this makes it actually workable).  That might not make a difference for most, but it does for me.

Result: it's good, but I never figured it wasn't.  I don't know what constitutes 'great' so I won't bandy it about.  And while I'm not as tweeking out like Lyraeus does, I had fun; so many thanks for that.  Although most of my morning seems to have disappeared and I'm dreadfully behind on a dozen things I should be doing with my weekend. 

A good listen as always!

So does the squadron debate boil down to: that FFG may have made a small mistake by having the 300pts for tabling an opponent?

I though the interview was very good, especially boiling the commands down to Navigate, or, Engineering. I've been using the Navigate command more and more myself.

Edited by Daft Blazer

Oh it was nothing negative (or really telling), it's just the style.

I don't tweek.. . . I just get bored easily. . .

You don't tweek and get IFF withdrawal, hmmm? Sure, and I only like pizza for its loyal design aesthetic which helps to remind us of the ever present nature of the Imperial cause :P

Yep Daft Blazer, I think it's a bit of a 'thing' myself (5 points is 5 points, it just seems weird to word it like that) much like Lyraeus's indicated set up overlap issue.... that's not going to become a thread Tarkin, right?

Edited by Vykes

So there has been lots of talk on squadrons and whether or not to use them and the guys at IFF talk about it at length here.  The one thing no one has really be discussing is that the all ship builds that win consistently are Imperials and not Rebels.  The Imperials synergy currently is so much better than the Rebels for the all ship builds its not even fair.  The Rebels cant put out enough firepower with their ships even with a swarm of CR90s to be competitive in no squadron builds.  It really comes down to the insane synergy of the Assault Concussion Missiles and Screed.  Right now no Rebel ships cant field Assault Concussion Missiles because they have no black dice on any of the ships by default.  This will change obviously at Wave 2 but right now if you play Rebels you are at a severe disadvantage in firepower from your ships so IMHO you are forced to run heavy squadrons and try to win the point bid to play your objectives to even try and win.  I refuse to bow down to the Imperial all ship meta and I will continue refining my build to defeat the Imps now. 

Here is my latest list I am trying.  My objective is to avoid jousting and keep my CR90 out of the combat and just be a support ship and hope my squadrons and the AFIIs can stay alive long to kill the enemy.  So even if I lose both my AFIIs (which I am ok with) but still end  up destroying all my opponents ships and keep my CR90 and Squadrons alive then I will win with a 9-1.

Name: (298 of 300 pts)

Faction: Rebel Alliance

Flagship: (72 pts)
Assault Frigate Mark II B(72 pts)

Fleet Ship 1: (72 pts)
Assault Frigate Mark II B(72 pts)

Fleet Ship 2: (62 pts)
CR90 Corvette B(39 pts)
General Dodonna (20 pts)
Tantive IV (3 pts)

Squadrons (92 of 99 pts):
1x Luke Skywalker X-Wing Squadron (20 pts)
3x B-Wing Squadron (42 pts)
3x Y-Wing Squadron (30 pts)

Objectives:
Precision Strike
Fleet Ambush
Superior Positions
Edited by Overdawg

Glad to hear that some Nebs will make it into the lab!! Keep them in a close formation, and be careful with activation order to not obstruct your own shots (took we a while to work out for some reason). Don't be afraid to ram and if facing assault frigates make sure to keep pointed were they will be or you get outflanked (advice from Schmitty after he crushed me). Salvation and XI7s make them VSD killing machines!

Gotta say I'm always sad to see the episodes end. I'm in the same boat as most of you though. I've played mainly ship heavy lists, and so I'm ping to force myself to play squadron heavy in some test games. The activation advantage of more ships is just so useful though!

I just wanted to thank the crew from IFF for producing an amazing podcast. Informative, entertaining and surprisingly funny. If you dig Armada and have not listened to the podcast yet CHECK IT OUT! You will not be disappointed. Keep up the great work fellas. My favorite gaming podcast fo' show. I'm singing Dodonna on the reg...