Sign in to follow this  
InSilence

Quick question about ECM suite

Hey y'all, I have a quick question.

So the A-Wing on  p. 267 has a built in ECM Suite (the Miradyne 4x-Phantom). It jams comms and sensors in range, reducing its silhouette by 1 when fired on. 'Cept it doesn't list the range...

The full description of the ECM Suite mod on p. 286 states, "Designed to blind and deafen enemy ships, an electronic countermeasures suite transmits a dense stream of white noise and junk data that fogs sensors and jams comms traffic within close range of the broadcasting ship." But that's in the description above its base effect, which also doesn't list a range...

I used to assume that the A-Wing's ECM suite covered its sensor range, but I'm not so sure anymore. I'm leaning towards ruling it as referring to the close range band. But I like the A-Wing, so I want to rule it as being based on a ship's sensor range. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

You're reading into this way too much.

Quite simply, the effect of the ECM suite is that it allows you to count your ship's Silhouette as being 1 lower than it actually is. That is the base effect. You don't need to worry about range bands on sensor ranges of ships. You just consider the ship's Silhouette as being 1 point lower. The descriptive text is just fluff explaining how that works.

I read it as close, though it's worth mentioning the overwhelming majority of attacks directed at an A-wing this would come from close range. With the exception of missiles and maybe the odd heavy laser those attacks that do come from beyond close range will be from Sil 5 or larger so the penalty will already be there.

I read it as close, though it's worth mentioning the overwhelming majority of attacks directed at an A-wing this would come from close range. With the exception of missiles and maybe the odd heavy laser those attacks that do come from beyond close range will be from Sil 5 or larger so the penalty will already be there.

And those shots have to pass through the Close range band at some point to get to the A-wing. So, the targeting sensors for the turbolasers would be degraded, as would the systems guiding the missiles. So, still 1 size smaller for the A-wing.