Sign in to follow this  
fog1234

Enemy Without Expansion

My copy should be here tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what new player options, homeworld variants and enemy profiles we get.

I do wonder how the Tau are getting a spot, isn't the DH setting on the other side of the galaxy compared to their Empire?

It's for the greater good of the book. 

The Warp did it?

So the new homeworlds provide non-characteristic aptitudes. Specifically, Fieldcraft (Deathworld), Social (Garden World), and Knowledge (Research Station).

Hmmm, interesting approach ...!

I'm not really fond of the non-Characteristic aptitudes on homeworlds as this makes them stronger IMO since doubled-up aptitudes can only be traded for Characteristic aptitudes. Thankfully, none of the worlds offers Finesse or Offence.

Yay! The book's out. I can finally talk about what's in it. Imperial Navy is in there. Tau weapons are in there, but listed under "Kroot hunting gear" because the people of the Askellon Sector don't know any better!

Still don't have my copy though.  :(

It also doesn't even seem very Inquisition-y. No investigation, no subtlety, etc. It's pretty much just "GENERIC DUDE IN POWER ARMOUR KILLS MASSES OF GENERIC BAD GUYS". What a waste.

With their tech, it would have been so simple to throw together some sort of Neverwinter Nights-esque Inquisition game.

Worse, if you watch the full videos it just looks so slow. Painfully slow.

BYE

Edited by H.B.M.C.

Liking the new content so far, but I've got one complaint. There are no attack aircraft, just a shuttle and a cargo hauler. How can a book that gives us a role called the Ace, and two backgrounds that feature fighters (Navy and RT Fleets) not give us at least one decent dogfighter or support craft? I assumed that the Valkyrie, the Thunderbolt or the Lightning would be no brainers for this book.

Edited by Rationalinsanity

You can use the Valkyrie from Only War. Oh wait, they skipped it there as well I believe. ;)

A Gun-cutter like Eisenhorn had would also have been nice, or is that the shuttle?

Ahh content, you can never have enough of it.  ^_^

Edited by Gridash

I'm not really fond of the non-Characteristic aptitudes on homeworlds as this makes them stronger IMO since doubled-up aptitudes can only be traded for Characteristic aptitudes. Thankfully, none of the worlds offers Finesse or Offence.

Are the rest of the planet's abilities weaker? Like multiple negative Characteristic Modifiers, a weaker Home World Bonus, less Fate points or wounds?

Edited by Gridash

Do we have a definitive list of the homeworlds, backgrounds (Imperial Navy, plz) and roles yet?

According to the character creation supplement that Tim just posted:

Homeworlds: Death World, Garden World, Research Station

Backgrounds: Heretek, Imperial Navy, Rogue Trader Fleet

Looking good !

I bet Enemies Beyond has Apostate as a background.

Edited by Gridash

You can use the Valkyrie from Only War. Oh wait, they skipped it there as well I believe. ;)

A Gun-cutter like Eisenhorn had would also have been nice, or is that the shuttle?

Has the Valkyrie been stated in any of the game lines? You would think DH and OW would have it, due to it being the Guard's mainstay airsupport and the normal mode of air transportation for the Inquisitorial Stormtroopers.

Has the Valkyrie been stated in any of the game lines? You would think DH and OW would have it, due to it being the Guard's mainstay airsupport and the normal mode of air transportation for the Inquisitorial Stormtroopers.

You're in luck! A Skytalon (not a mainstay of the Valkyrie line mind you) is in one of the RT adventure books!

Guncutter, Arvus Lighter, Aquila Lander and Ornithopter were also in Black Industry's free "Dark Heresy Apocrypha - Vehicles and Riding Beasts" supplement.

But yes, it's .. surprising that the Valkyrie in particular seems nowhere to be found. Almost makes you expect a paid DLC. :D Then again, after so many years, I guess somebody just forgot it exists, or they kept pushing it into the "next book" until the line was cancelled.

Edited by Lynata

So I got Enemies Without today.  All in all, it's a pretty good supplement.

What's Good:

Cool new character creation options, including Death World, Garden World and Research Station homeworlds; Imperial Navy, Heretek and Rogue Trader Fleet backgrounds; and the Ace role.

Xenos reinforcement characters definitely add to those playing radical acolytes/inquisitors

Cool alien weapons, including Dark Eldar, Eldar, Tau Ork, and "lost races".

More weapon mods in the form of the Jokaero

New xenos to fight

The Not So Good

Only two Tyranid creatures (Genestealer and a unique Lictor).

As mentioned earlier, not a whole lot in the way of new aircraft despite introducing an aircraft-focused role.

I haven't read a whole lot into the fluffy bits, but it seems to be a fairly detailed description of the major xenos races you'll be dealing with.  The new Explication rules are kinda neat too.  You get to do some dissecting!

The Not So Good

Only two Tyranid creatures (Genestealer and a unique Lictor).

As mentioned earlier, not a whole lot in the way of new aircraft despite introducing an aircraft-focused role.

Probably because those are able to operate outside the hive's mind synaptic web and there is no Tyranid fleet in the Askellon Sector (yet).