Sign in to follow this  
Rocmistro

Do you think they'll introduce a 3rd faction?

ie, S&V for Armada?

I can't see it myself, but wondering what others thought.

The reason I'm curious is because I'm considering putting a fair bit of effort into a 3rd faction using some of the less iconic Star Trek Attack Wing Stuff.  (In particular, I have the deep space 9 model and I think that would make for a kick-ass pirate base; very little movement but a lot of squadron command stuff.)

Anyone have any thoughts, predictions, etc?

Aye, I'm of a mind with Lyraeus. I think it'd definitely be interesting to see some more rag-tag, pirate/crime lord type fleets. What I think would be even cooler is if you had these as their own, but could also be bought by Rebels or Imperials, for a price. Increase their point cost by 10% or 20% if they're being used by one of the other factions. Could increase the complexity of list builds and make for some fun combinations! :D

I would imagine progressing somewhat in the same fashion as x-wing. Crank out the early waves just rebel and imperial, see how it sells, then if doing well go to a third faction to open up possibilities.

Armada is the third best selling war game out there. . . I think it is selling great

There are already "scum"-style ships coming in the Rogues and Villains pack.  I can easily see cards to make some of those ships a 3rd faction.  I really don't see anything on a Large base for the scum though.  Perhaps a Medium base ship, certainly Small base ships.  And before anyone says it:  no, the Errant Venture doesn't count.  :)

I would love for a third faction to happen, I would definitely invest in it. I love playing the odd ball factions the misfits, the underdog. Give me a fleet of Hutt ,Black Sun or pirates I'll be a happy man

For a while I thought First Order was pretty much a given, and the secrecy about Wave 3 (almost certainly linked to the Star Wars blackout until September) appeared to reinforce this notion. But now I wonder, as it would feel weirdly anachronistic to see Empire and First Order ships on the same table, whether as separate factions or as a combined one.

More likely to have Clone War fleets. There are a several "alien" fleen that could be done as well.

I am also wondering if they will do a "Trek" Armada since Trek fits more with larger ships/fleets than Trek with X-Wing.

Edited by vsolfronk

More likely to have Clone War fleets. There are a several "alien" fleen that could be done as well.

I am also wondering if they will do a "Trek" Armada since Trek fits more with larger ships/fleets than Trek with X-Wing.

No, FFG has stated on several occasions that they are focusing on the OT era.

There has been some information about pirates etc in Ep VII.. I also have a magazine from 1981 with leaks about 'Revenge of the Jedi' which involved the last surviving Jedi linking up with a pirate fleet led by Han Solo and attacking the Empire just as the Rebellion was about to fall... the title and the story were dropped.. some of the recent leaks about Ep VII suggest this might be part of the plot..

Short story a Pirate Fleet is possible/probable they certainly have the funds to buy/build large ships..

There are already "scum"-style ships coming in the Rogues and Villains pack.  I can easily see cards to make some of those ships a 3rd faction.  I really don't see anything on a Large base for the scum though.  Perhaps a Medium base ship, certainly Small base ships.  And before anyone says it:  no, the Errant Venture doesn't count.  :)

Well in Legends there were some pirate Venators, which would almost certainly be large base, and many former CIS ships turned pirate including some Lucrehulk class ships which would definitely be large base while IMO Providence class ships and Recusant class ships are IMO likely to be large bases as well.

There has been some information about pirates etc in Ep VII.. I also have a magazine from 1981 with leaks about 'Revenge of the Jedi' which involved the last surviving Jedi linking up with a pirate fleet led by Han Solo and attacking the Empire just as the Rebellion was about to fall... the title and the story were dropped.. some of the recent leaks about Ep VII suggest this might be part of the plot..

Short story a Pirate Fleet is possible/probable they certainly have the funds to buy/build large ships..

Han leading a pirate or privateer fleet would be incredible. Especially if it has some capships rather then just a mix of modded frieghters and fighters though it would be cool without capships as well..