Sign in to follow this  
Mark Meredith

Quixotic Jedi?

I have a player who's interested in playing a Quixotic Jedi in our new campaign, similar to the Quixotic Jedi of Star Wars D6. How would you advise making one? I'm allowing all of the books from all three of the games, so anything is possible. He wants to have very, very minor force powers, and be an old crazy guy who carries a rusty sword claiming it's a lightsaber.

I was also thinking of playing one because I loved the old D6 character template!

I was going to go with:

COLONIST SCHOLAR or EXPLORER ARCHAEOLOGIST + FORCE-SENSITIVE EMERGENT w/ FORCE POWER SENSE

He has all knowledge about Jedi through research and follows the Jedi code.

Everybody thinks he's "nuts" or "off" but he actually is force sensitive and can sometimes feel the force.

Have him fight with an ancient sword but really be a supporting character employing knowledge skills

I would do one of two things. Either go Explorer: Archaeologist (with Force Sensitive Exile, not Emergent, because I like the feel of the Exile way better...) or go Force and Destiny. I'll detail the character creation the way I'd do it:

1. Background is background
  2. Morality...Maybe go with Curiosity/Obsession, and take the +10XP option. 
  3. Species: Human is most fitting IMO, but again, whatever you like. Free skill ranks: Piloting (Planetary), Knowledge (Xenology)
  4. Career: Go Mystic. Free skill ranks: Knowledge (Lore), Perception, Vigilance
  5. Specialization: Makashi Duelist. Free skill ranks: Charm, Lightsaber
  6. Buy up Brawn, Agility, and Cunning up to 3. With the remaining 30 XP, buy the Sense basic power and the top row of talents: Grit x2, Parry, and Resist Disarm ("No!! My lightsaber! MINE!!" as he spends two strain to hang onto his old sword)
  7. Derived attributes are what they are.
  8. Motivation is easy—dual motivations, Cause: Justice and Faith: The Jedi Code
  9. Gear and appearance: get some heavy clothing (cobbled-together armor pads) and an ancient sword. 
  10. Group Resource: a really fun item would be a holocron, only adding to the delusion that the Quixotic Jedi is suffering from :)

I do like the Archaeologist, Hard Headed is excellent and "Respected Scholar" is something that I would see as tongue-in-cheek in such a game. "Heeey Donn, how's it going? Looking for more info about the Jedi, buddy? How's that lightsaber technique coming along?"

Edited by awayputurwpn

With Makashi Duelist, I'd strongly advise a Presence of 3+, but for the Quixotic Jedi, I like the feel of the Shii-Cho Knight much better.

Yeah I would normally bump up a Makashi Duelist's presence, but this was more of a "willing bad choice" because I don't actually see the Quixotic Jedi ever advancing to the bottom of the tree to pick up the two "Makashi" talents, so I would generally just not even use the Makashi Technique talent. And bypassing Intense Presence is easy enough. 

And I do agree that the Shii-Cho Knight is a good overall fit, but I really didn't like the career it's attached to. The Mystic career seemed to fit the Quixotic Jedi so much better. 

1. Group Resource: a really fun item would be a holocron, only adding to the delusion that the Quixotic Jedi is suffering from 

Actually, my suggestion is that he has the Star Wars equivalent of a Rubik's Cube, that he thinks is a Holocron, and instead has a dead Mentor talking to him from beyond the grave...

Quixotic: "My Master has told me of a place where we may find more of my Jedi Brothers!"

Smuggler: "FOR THE LAST TIME that is not a Holocron!  It's a Kirkik's Cube!  It's a toy, not some magical connection to the Force!"

Quixotic: "...believe what you like, just lay in a course to the indicated system.  *sighing at the cube* Master; is this some sort of test of patience?"

Mentor: *ethereally, from his left* "It certainly is for one of us..."

I'm picturing the Quixotic Jedi as an eccentric person that has studied a lot about the Jedi Order, but spends all his time now wandering around telling people fanciful tales about "His" Jedi Order. He'd obviously have to buy one of the Force-Sensitive specs (whichever is more appealing to the player), but for his primary Career and Spec I'd go Colonist: Performer. It would give him all of the Knowledge skills, but also provide all of the Social skills to really spin a good yarn. Plus, some of those Talents just scream "Quixotic Jedi" to me. Distracting Behavior, Intense Presence, and Deceptive Taunt are perfect, plus Biggest Fan would be great for convincing people that he is totally a Jedi. 

Just my two-cents, but that sounds pretty fun to play....maybe I'll just steal this for my next character. :)

Good luck, Mark. 

1. Group Resource: a really fun item would be a holocron, only adding to the delusion that the Quixotic Jedi is suffering from 

Actually, my suggestion is that he has the Star Wars equivalent of a Rubik's Cube, that he thinks is a Holocron, and instead has a dead Mentor talking to him from beyond the grave...

Quixotic: "My Master has told me of a place where we may find more of my Jedi Brothers!"

Smuggler: "FOR THE LAST TIME that is not a Holocron!  It's a Kirkik's Cube!  It's a toy, not some magical connection to the Force!"

Quixotic: "...believe what you like, just lay in a course to the indicated system.  *sighing at the cube* Master; is this some sort of test of patience?"

Mentor: *ethereally, from his left* "It certainly is for one of us..."

A Rubik's Cube would make a great prop for a F&D Game -- solve the cube to unlock the holocron...

I'm picturing him on Tatooine, riding a dewback, and tilting at moisture evaporators :)

With a protocol droid sidekick.

S4N-CH0

But seriously... ish

I feel like building the character makes the most sense, flavor-wise, starting with a non-F&D career and speccing over, but the xp penalties may feel like it's "punishing" the character for creation method.  Seriously, I think the key to Quixotic Jedi is just how you role-play him.  You could build him however you want.

Edited by LethalDose