Sign in to follow this  
ColonelCommissar

Is the GM kit worth it?

As I said in the title, is it worth it? Is the adventure a good one? Is the stuff contained within well-written and useful? Is it worth forking out for?

If you don't already have a GM screen, it's certainly useful for that, especially for the tables and charts (I keep mine off to the side when I'm GMing).

There's some good advice for GMing a Knight Level campaign in the kit as well, along with expanded rules for lightsaber creation on top of what's already in the core rulebook that you might get some mileage out of as well.

For $20?  Absolutely.

I playtested the adventure as the GM, and it's solid. Good adventure for F&D characters, but I do agree that the reward may be redundant if you're playing characters who found the rewards elsewhere...

The lightsaber construction rules are well written. 

Finally, the tips for running Knight Level Play may be a little specific, but there are some useful tips in there for any campaign with 200+ XP PCs.

And the screen is, as always, gorgeous.

Worth $20, whenver you get it.

Edited by DarthGM

Best extra rules? Squad and Squadron rules from the AoR Kit. That's the best way to keep your party alive in starfighter combat or keep your BBEG alive against a combat-heavy party.

Not sure of the adventure. I haven't read the Force and Destiny adventure, but the Age of Rebellion one is pretty good. It's also a life-or-death type of adventure so it could really drive up the tension.

For best art work, all three are great. But it's a tie between EotE and AoR for me.

I think the GM kits have been more than worth it for the adventures alone. I've ran the Edge one twice and the Age one once. Kieth Kappel did a bang-up job on the adventure in the AoR GM kit, and its got a great art piece/layout of a Nebulon B frigate! The art on the screens are simply amazing all around, unfortunately (or fortunately if you are trying to save money) the info on them is largely the same, if not identical.  I have yet to read the FaD adventure, but I haven't disliked an adventure that FFG has put out for Star Wars yet....though 'Trouble Brewing' is probably my least favorite of the bunch. 'Debts to Pay' in the Edge GM kit is amazing fun, so I can't recommend more that you just get at least the first two. I'll have to report back after having a look at the FaD one.

As far as extra rules, the Squad and Squadron rules seem to be the most universally useful, but the adversary/nemesis stuff in the Edge kit is good too. I don't ever plan to run an 'all' jedi campaign, so the knight level campaign rules and lightsaber alternate construction rules will only be of marginal use to me...but that's just me, so your mileage may vary. 

The only thing I don't like about FaD's GM kit are the lack of interesting stats on rubat crystals. Otherwise, the adventure is solid, the Knight level play stuff is useful, and I would call the hilt construction rules indispensable.

AoR's kit is good, too. I've used the squad/squadron rules many times now. EoE, though, takes the cake with its wisdom on constructing good nemeses for the players.

Hi,

I dont need the screen so I'm on the fence about the kit. My main interest is the module, which sounds like it would fit into my campaign really nicely, but the one sentance reviews are mixed. Would someone provide a spoiler filled review/outline?

-Lauguz

The only thing I don't like about FaD's GM kit are the lack of interesting stats on rubat crystals. Otherwise, the adventure is solid, the Knight level play stuff is useful, and I would call the hilt construction rules indispensable.

AoR's kit is good, too. I've used the squad/squadron rules many times now. EoE, though, takes the cake with its wisdom on constructing good nemeses for the players.

That's my criticism as well; if Rubat Crystals are so alike Ilum crystals, but Ilum crystals (according to fluff) are so much better, where's the difference?  Why wouldn't the Jedi have continued to frequent the planet in the module for a closer source of crystals, rather than trek all the way out to Ilum?

From one GM to another, I'll be treating Rubat Crystals like Ilum crystals, but removing two of the four available "+1 Damage Mods". Keeps the stats effectively the same, and supports the reason most Jedi sought out Ilum ones more often.

Edited by DarthGM

From one GM to another, I'll be treating Rubat Crystals like Ilum crystals, but removing two of the four available "+1 Damage Mods". Keeps the stats effectively the same, and supports the reason most Jedi sought out Ilum ones more often.

What kind of price tag would you put on Rubats?  Obviously less than an Ilum.  8500 credits Restricted?  Rarity 10?

What kind of price tag would you put on Rubats?  Obviously less than an Ilum.  8500 credits Restricted?  Rarity 10?

I might drop as low as 7,500 credits, but keep Restricted. Rarity for lightsaber crystals should always be 10.