Green Squad Leader

"Green Arrow" list

Just dropped in to say thanks to Green Squad Leader for an immensely fun and "dodgy" game over VASSAL against his Green Arrow build.

I managed to squeeze out a win with:

Vader (VI, X1, ATC, Engine)

Fel (PtL, RGP, Autothrusters, Stealth)

Black Sqd. Pilot (Crack Shot)

Wampa

Despite having higher PS and super mobile aces, this list is one hell of a tornado to dance around.

Also, Wampa's ability triggered on his first shot!

Edited by Veldrin

Just dropped in to say thanks to Green Squad Leader for an immensely fun and "dodgy" game over VASSAL against his Green Arrow build.

I managed to squeeze out a win with:

Vader (VI, X1, ATC, Engine)

Fel (PtL, RGP, Autothrusters, Stealth)

Black Sqd. Pilot (Crack Shot)

Wampa

Despite having higher PS and super mobile aces, this list is one hell of a tornado to dance around.

Also, Wampa's ability triggered on his first shot!

Yeah man this is what I get for letting myself get out of practice. I made 2 misjudgments manuever wise thinking first that a move could fit and then later that you wouldn't be able to cover as much ground as you did. it can be so hard sometimes to judge distances on vassal.

But I'll work on getting back into shape for this season!

[

How do you guys feel about hull upgrade vs. Autothrusters? Assuming points are of no issue.

How prevalent are Turrets in your area? In a a vacuum I think Hull is better but it's also more expensive.

There is at least one non-BTL-A4 TLT ship in probably half of the lists I face. There are also a handful of fat Turretwing players still going at it.

Even vs. non-turrets AT is useful if you're at range 3. 

True AT do always work at range 3, but the only way you can reliably stay at range 3 of the enemy in an A-wing is if you are running AWAY from them. Otherwise your speed guarantees you'll close to at least range 2 the majority of the time.

Think of it this way. Hull Upgrade is always on and protects you from being one shoted by a direct hit. Autothrusters requires that you change your style of play to allow it to trigger reliably. As a result autothrusters makes you more predictable to the Enemy, which makes you dead.

AT is good if you can't afford Hull, or on Jake Farrell. Otherwise I'd recommend hull upgrade every time.

Holy **** this is scary

5x protos (17)

-prockets (3)

-guidance chimps (0)

100 pts

I hadn't thought of combining guidance chips and A-wings. A silly build could have Homing Missiles!

"Sting in the Tail" - a push for a "Hot Shot Blaster" type of ability on the A-Wing

The two laser cannons on the A-Wing were on unique swivel mounts that allowed a 120 degree firing arc (up/down by 60 degrees). These swivel mounts could be modified to pivot and fire to the rear.

This would probably be a "use once and discard" type of ability like Hot Shot Blaster.

Give my A-Wing what it should already have - a sting in the tail!

Being a big A-wing I'm afraid that the new Inquisitor's Tie is too strong and the Rebels A-wing as it stands will not be able to compete with it. The Inquisitor's Tie has pretty much all the same stats as the A-wing plus range 1 hard banks and a actions bar that contains both dodge and barrel rolls. The top ace (pilot level 8) has the ability to get range one attack bonus at range 2 and 3.

Edited by Dej2

The A wing has double elite talents. That is only going to get stronger as the game continues. We can have PtL and juke, VI, Crackshot, Outmaneuver, and a number of other amazing upgrades. It is a great ship, but A wings aren't going anywhere.

1 moves being green is cool, but not better. Speed 2 helps you cover more ground, which is great if you're chasing. Speed 1 is better for knife fighting, but it is easier to block because they can do a maneuver that bumps you and block the 1 turn.

Being a big A-wing I'm afraid that the new Inquisitor's Tie is too strong and the Rebels A-wing as it stands will not be able to compete with it. The Inquisitor's Tie has pretty much all the same stats as the A-wing plus range 1 hard banks and a actions bar that contains both dodge and barrel rolls. The top ace (pilot level 8) has the ability to get range one attack bonus at range 2 and 3.

Actually I believe that the Tie Advanced Prototype is far more of a counter to the Tie Interceptor than to the A-wing. It's advantage compared to other maneuverability ships is that it can reliably turn on a tighter radius than any other similar ship. Soontir Fell can perform a 2 turn and follow it up with a barrel roll to clear stress, but the TAP can do the same with a 1 turn keeping it inside of the turn radius of the interceptor and reliably gettin shots. Tycho aside A-wings are not designed to win that kind of fight anyways, so it's more of a threat to the Interceptor's play style. For an A-wing you just need to fly faster than the TAP and you should be fine.

Any tips for a Noob A-wing player? Love the ship, but just starting out.

Practice, practice, practice! The two biggest things I think you need to get good at is estimating distances and anticipating the OPs movements. Both of which I suck at. With low attack, so-so health and good agility the A is a pretty cool ship but not a jouster. Flanking attacks are your best friend.

Anyone use Expert Handling on their A-wings? I don't get to play many A-wing players in my area. Is this a viable tactic? ... hopefully this photo will attach properly.1214gg6.jpg

I believe Push the limit requires using an action from your action bar. So putting the barrel roll last wouldn't work?

Edited by Dej2

Anyone use Expert Handling on their A-wings? I don't get to play many A-wing players in my area. Is this a viable tactic? ... hopefully this photo will attach properly.1214gg6.jpg

I believe Push the limit requires using an action from your action bar. So putting the barrel roll last wouldn't work?

It works if you use it on Tycho, and i don't think it's worth getting on anyone except him.

Expert handling gives a stress token immediately after performing the barrel roll if your ship does not have the barrel roll icon on your action bar. So no further action is possible unless you are Tycho who doesn't care about stress.

Edited by Uumbuku

Expert Handling can be cool on A-wings giving a good alternative to boosting. You are on point that with Push the Limit you must EH roll first, but keep in mind that EH gives a stress if you don't have Barrel Roll in your action bar so in your pictured scenario your A-wing ends up with 2 stress! Fortunately there's a pilot who won't mind: Tycho Celchu loves anything that others won't consider because of stress (or double stress ;) ) such as Expert Handling and Daredevil. A fun setup for me is Tycho with Experimental Interface mod and the EPTs Expert Handling and Daredevil; with those two he can turn any maneuver into a virtual Talon-roll, but better, at the mere cost of three stress!!! :D

​Edit: ​After hitting post I saw Uumbuku's post and was reminded you can't action while stressed so Tycho is your only option for this maneuver. If I take EH I always traded it for PTL since they both give a stress and I actually try to use the other (usually forgotten) part of EH which is to remove a target lock from your ship.

Edited by nitrobenz

Expert Handling can be cool on A-wings giving a good alternative to boosting. You are on point that with Push the Limit you must EH roll first, but keep in mind that EH gives a stress if you don't have Barrel Roll in your action bar so in your pictured scenario your A-wing ends up with 2 stress...

​Edit: ​After hitting post I saw Uumbuku's post and was reminded you can't action while stressed so Tycho is your only option for this maneuver. If I take EH I always traded it for PTL since they both give a stress and I actually try to use the other (usually forgotten) part of EH which is to remove a target lock from your ship.

From the FAQ: . Free actions, such as a free action granted from squad Leader, can trigger push the Limit. this can result in an action interrupting another effect, causing that effect to nish resolving later. For example, if a ship performs a free barrel roll action granted by expert Handling, it could use that action as a trigger for push the Limit. after push the Limit resolves, expert Handling nishes resolving. if a player uses push the Limit to attempt an action he is unable to perform (such as attempting to target Lock a ship that is out of range), he may perform a different action or decide not to use push the Limit at all.

So you were right it does work you just get 2 stress. Jake can also do this same move with his ability.

Ah, I see what your FAQ is getting at green leader. You could technically nest PTL into the middle of EH before the stress gets applied (and before removing the target lock).

Doing the same maneuver with Jake is still better, you end up with a focus for your trouble :)

Hi, first time poster here and new gamer. 

First of all, can I just say that I'm a big fan of the list that you've made here Green Squad Leader. It is an amazing list and pulls together a great deal of synergy. You actually inspired me to go out and immediately buy 4 A-Wings.

A quick question - with the advent of the new 'dual-card' Adaptability, do you see any merit in taking this and the A-Wing Test Pilot upgrades as add-ons to the list? I would be particularly curious as to your thoughts on why/why not as I'm keen to learn more about the theory behind the game (as opposed to just emulating other people's lists and tactics).

Thanks for reading!

Has anyone flown Gemmer Sojan? I've just start using him with Push the Limit, Autothrusters and Test Pilot. only 19 points though he doesn't have Celchu's or Jakes ability... for the cost I'm really impressed. 4 dice defense at range 1 and 4 at range 3 with auto thrusters he can change all blacks to evades and with a focus he changes all his eyes to evades. Does anyone have some other builds for him that I could try out?

Hi, first time poster here and new gamer. 

First of all, can I just say that I'm a big fan of the list that you've made here Green Squad Leader. It is an amazing list and pulls together a great deal of synergy. You actually inspired me to go out and immediately buy 4 A-Wings.

A quick question - with the advent of the new 'dual-card' Adaptability, do you see any merit in taking this and the A-Wing Test Pilot upgrades as add-ons to the list? I would be particularly curious as to your thoughts on why/why not as I'm keen to learn more about the theory behind the game (as opposed to just emulating other people's lists and tactics).

Thanks for reading!

That's great to hear Pelegos, you play those A's! Thanks for the compliment.

As far as Adaptability I'm genuinely curious to see it though I don't think it's a very good idea for A-wings. My philosophy is that you should use EPTs to allow your pilot to do something new or better. The ability to take 2 EPTs with test pilot opens to door for making truly unique combos other ships can't do. Taking VI prevents you from taking any of these unique combos, instead you're saying "I want this ship to fly normally just at a higher initiative". If you do that then the A-wing will struggle to achieve its full potential as its innate abilities can be limited.

Adaptability is very similar to VI in my view, it allows you to make your PS 1 higher or lower so if you take it you are still forgoing any of the more interesting and powerful combos you could choose. It seems pointless for Green Squadron Pilots, and I'd question the usefulness on any of the named pilots with the sole exception of Arvil. Arvil has always been a odd duck with his 1 EPT and PS 6. At PS 6 it's hard for him to reliably act as a blocker and still get his actions, so I feel that having a card which lets you decrease his PS would certainly prove useful. I don't think it's necessarily worth it compared to Push the Limit, but it is free. He can be turned into a super blocker at PS5 using adaptability, to really make him earn his keep I'd put him in a squad with another pilot who can pass him free actions.

Arvel Crynyd (21) - A-Wing

Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Adaptability (0)

I'd be curious to see if they will come out with a card something like: "Rookie Instincts" reduce your pilot skill by 2 -1 point cost. I doubt they will as it would make adaptability pointless. But yeah, I could see it being useful for Arvil.

Has anyone flown Gemmer Sojan? I've just start using him with Push the Limit, Autothrusters and Test Pilot. only 19 points though he doesn't have Celchu's or Jakes ability... for the cost I'm really impressed. 4 dice defense at range 1 and 4 at range 3 with auto thrusters he can change all blacks to evades and with a focus he changes all his eyes to evades. Does anyone have some other builds for him that I could try out?

Autothrusters only changed 1 blank to an evade, not all. I've fun Gemmer before, he's a lot of fun and pretty forgiving to fly. I usually run him this way:

Gemmer Sojan (26) - A-Wing

Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Stealth Device (3), Push The Limit (3)

Run like this Gemmer is the only ship which can theoretically roll 7 evade dice vs one attack (Range 3 shot, Obstructed, Enemy at range 1, and Stealth device is 3+1+1+1+1). I've done that twice in one game, it's very fun.

I think Adaptability is going to be a niche upgrade. It will be useful on a very small group of pilots. It might be most useful on arc dodgers of the same native PS. Find an opening where you can block a phantom? Drop your PS by one to move first. End up in someone's arc with low HP remaining? Boost your PS by one to shoot first and hopefully vape the guy before he gets a shot.

It may be useful on the extreme low end of the spectrum where you might need a PS 3 to combat the PS 2 Ys with TLTs.

I think Adaptability is going to be a niche upgrade. It will be useful on a very small group of pilots. It might be most useful on arc dodgers of the same native PS. Find an opening where you can block a phantom? Drop your PS by one to move first. End up in someone's arc with low HP remaining? Boost your PS by one to shoot first and hopefully vape the guy before he gets a shot.

It may be useful on the extreme low end of the spectrum where you might need a PS 3 to combat the PS 2 Ys with TLTs.

True but I can't think of any PS2 pilots with an EPT.

True but I can't think of any PS2 pilots with an EPT.

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of where the ability would be useful and not who could use it. The extreme low PS pilots don't have access to it.

I've fun Gemmer before, he's a lot of fun and pretty forgiving to fly. I usually run him this way:

Gemmer Sojan (26) - A-Wing

Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Stealth Device (3), Push The Limit (3)

Run like this Gemmer is the only ship which can theoretically roll 7 evade dice vs one attack (Range 3 shot, Obstructed, Enemy at range 1, and Stealth device is 3+1+1+1+1). I've done that twice in one game, it's very fun.

This looks awesome, Going to have to give this a try! I've always loved Gemmer.

I think we need pilot cards for L'ulo and Shara Bey Dameron....

16hsvhc.jpg

Awesome! I totally agree, more A-wing pilots would be great. Ho early I'd love to see the rebel veterans pack have at least 2 new pilot cards for EVERY rebel fighter. Like how the most wanted pack has cards for ships not included model wise. It would allow them to do an Xwing and Ewing fix without neglecting A's and Y's.

I can dream.

Just went 3-0 in a tournament in the NOVA area tonight, came in second by 17 MOV. Is anyone else prepping to take this list or a variant off of it to store championships? I can say pretty definatively that it reliably beats every variant of bro bots I've faced with it.

Oh and I have been considering making an article on the finger four formation demonstrating all of the major transformations you can put it through. I've found over time that is is EXTREMELY flexible and let's you react to any changes in the situation rapidly. It would be a fair amount of work on vassal to do this with pictures, if there is demand I'll do it though. So would anyone be interested in such a post?