Green Squad Leader

"Green Arrow" list

As a confirmed A-Wing addict (looking to someday becoming an 'ace'!) and having just come back to the forums after a little 'lay off' I'm so happy to see some great A-Wing threads! I've played A-Wing swarms before and I'm now looking to step up to an A-Wing aces list and this thread is really inspiring.

GSP, I may have missed it but do you know how many copies of 'Wired' come with each new starter set?

I think just 1, but it will be accessible on the Internet for resale I'm sure.

How will A-Wings fair against the Twin Laser Turret (TLT)? Is it reliable to maneuver a whole squad into range one?? What is our plan against this?

Getting into range 1 isn't too challenging. There are three ships I've seen running TLT so far: the K-wing, Y-wing, and Hwk-290. The K-wing can't be spammed well due to its cost, so it's not too much of a concern.

The Y-wing obviously tougher and comes in two variations. With A-wings you WANT to face a BTL-4 TLT spam build, it goes down just as easily as any other BTL-4 build to an A-wing squad. Dodge arcs and laugh. If TLT is taken as an actual turret don't worry too much, fly away from the y-wings initially and force your opponent out of the corner/side hugging deployment he inevitably has used. Once he is in the center of the table tackle his squad from re rear and flanks. You will get to shoot first 95% of the time, so do some damage while trying to stay at range 3 initially. Try to ensure none of your ships can be shot by all of his. Once an opportunity presents itself to close to range 1 for the kill do it, but be careful and only close with all 4 of your ships at once. Also don't forget your tokens, you still need them at range 1 as it's hard to have all 4 y-wings at range 1. As soon as you start taking ships down though he's screwed.

Hwk-290s are the scariest ship for TLT spam they I've faced. 3 PS 1 Rebel Operatives and Roak spamming TLT and recon specs is scary, and don't underestimate their evade dice. Three step process to take this squad down:

1. Split your deployment. Do not fly all your ships together or the HWK player can circle the wagons to counter your attempts to flank. Buy time initially so that you have ships on both sides of his formation before attacking.

2. Wait for the HWKs to conga line before attacking. It's pretty much inevitable that they will end up in a line if there are obstacles on the field in a good clump. The dial of the HWK isn't as bad as people think but it's still crappy and makes it really hard for 4 HWKs to be flown in formation effectively. If you play keep away and split your squad your opponent will eventually have to pursue one half of your squad. When he does fly away and force him to turn around to keep after you. Usually he will have to break his formation to do this, and once he does HWKs have a very hard time reforming it. So once he has broken formation or stretched it out into a line go to step 3!

3. Attack the rear HWK with all your ships at range 2-3. Done right most of the other HWKs won't be able to shoot you, and it's one of the worst ships in the game for turning around. 1-2 rounds of focus firing should kill the rear HWK. If your opponent is still in a line attack the next ship in line. If he has turned to react quickly the zoom into range 1. Three HWKs turning in the same direction all do 2 turns (it's only turn really) and if you rush in you'll be within range 1 easily, from there it's clean up.

This is a tough matchup, it only takes a round for 4 TLTs to chew through an A-wing. But if you play the long game and force him to turn around you've got it.

My friends had lots of fun flaying Jake Fell

Jake Farrell (30)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Veteran Instincts (1), Autothrusters (2), Push the Limit (3)

Its the closest Rebels can get to Soontir Fel, you can go with chardan or Prokets, if you like

So, I've been pretty busy lately as my Little Princess just born on Sept, 9th... no x wing playing since then  :P

I'm curious about you experience with your As after the new Wave hit the battlefields... any news?

Congratulations Dad!

No new A action on this side yet. Still trying to get a hand flying the Wave 7 beasts. Good thing I don't have to land them! The landing bays would look like a junkyard.

More of a lurker than a poster usually, but I am a big fan of A-Wings, and love that this thread is trying to make them more competitive.

One thing to add to this conversation is that when you are stressed it really limits your dial, and then your opponent knows you are most likely going to take a green.  I have had a lot of trouble with this and love 'wingman' because it solves this, whereas with 'wired' you will have the same issue again of being stuck into certain flight patterns.  Has anyone else had trouble outmaneuvering people with your a wings once the stress is on?

I love these A-Wing builds and tried to adapt them to my current list of fighters. I'll have to buy some Z95 kits to get Wingman... but this is how my version stacks:

Jake Farrell / PTL / Refit / Autothrusters / Test Pilot / Wingman (29)

Green Squad / Wingman / Test Pilot / PTL (24)

Green Squad / Wingman / Refit / Test Pilot / PTL (22)

Green Squad / Wingman / Refit / Test Pilot / PTL / Hull upgrade (25)

if I could get another Refit card without buying another Rebel Aces pack I could add that and Autothursters to my (22) pilot

I love A-Wings :)

crap that wont work, I need the Test Pilots from the aces pack... well crap thats a lot of money for this build....

Edited by Wiredin

I love these A-Wing builds and tried to adapt them to my current list of fighters. I'll have to buy some Z95 kits to get Wingman... but this is how my version stacks:

Jake Farrell / PTL / Refit / Autothrusters / Test Pilot / Wingman (29)

Green Squad / Wingman / Test Pilot / PTL (24)

Green Squad / Wingman / Refit / Test Pilot / PTL (22)

Green Squad / Wingman / Refit / Test Pilot / PTL / Hull upgrade (25)

if I could get another Refit card without buying another Rebel Aces pack I could add that and Autothursters to my (22) pilot

I love A-Wings :)

crap that wont work, I need the Test Pilots from the aces pack... well crap thats a lot of money for this build....

Yeah to run 4 A-wings you need to get 2 rebel aces, it's just a necessity. Alternatively you could buy the cards online, they should be cheap. That's how I got my 4 wingmans.

As for new stuff regarding A-wings there hasn't been much although there is some new interesting stuff upcoming for wave 8. I'm curious to see if they create a modification or some other method for older ships to access the new tech upgrade slot, comm relay (https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/94/7a/947a876a-1227-4c58-ae1b-542ee62aa84f/comm-relay.png) would be interesting on A-wings but it's too pricey and only boosts action economy slightly. The main benefit is that if you had this upgrade you wouldn't have to push every turn with every A-wing, so you'd be freer to use your whole dial and not just your greens. Doesn't add enough bonus even if it becomes available later for A's.

Now there are two interesting new cards coming from wave 8. Cool Hand (https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/2d/b6/2db62580-bb77-41a4-9f33-a39610583319/cool-hand.png) is quite interesting for A-wings as a cheap 2nd EPT filler slot. Basically this would be a great card to throw on Jake instead of VI. For one turn you can super focus or super evade effectively getting 4 actions from jake (with PTL). Not bad if you know you are going to get shot at a lot for a turn to have a focus and 2 evade tokens! Using this to get a focus is harder to justify, but could be used for Green Squadron pilots to let you TL and then boost into range one for prockets with a focus.

Cool card, definitely could be useful. Probably not worth it to use this card up while k-turning.

The more interesting new card is Juke (https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/73/51/7351b528-67d1-47bd-9299-5a0113d8f1d2/juke.png). A-wings are one of the few ships who reliably WILL have an evade token, so having an ability which lets you boost your offense for having one isn't a bad idea. This card goes better on Tycho and Jake as if you spend your evade token before you shoot you don't trigger the ability. Again it's a really interesting ability for an A-wing, and has its uses, but this is better on Tie fighters or interceptors I think. Actually this EPT works well for an M3-A, probably better for the M3-A then any other existing ship, except possibly an E-wing.

I still think that wired is the winning new card from wave 8 for the A-wing to run.

More of a lurker than a poster usually, but I am a big fan of A-Wings, and love that this thread is trying to make them more competitive.

One thing to add to this conversation is that when you are stressed it really limits your dial, and then your opponent knows you are most likely going to take a green.  I have had a lot of trouble with this and love 'wingman' because it solves this, whereas with 'wired' you will have the same issue again of being stuck into certain flight patterns.  Has anyone else had trouble outmaneuvering people with your a wings once the stress is on?

Plenty, the key thing to remember is that with the A-Wing you neither need or want to hug an enemy up close every turn. If you are stressed flee the battlefield and come back around for another pass next turn. A-wings so this better than any other ship in the game, and even the unreasonably fast big ships have a hard time keeping up as long as you force them to turn.

So if you are stressed with an A-wing use your speed to reset the battlefield. Got a ship on your tail near a corner? Turn each A-wing in a different direction (if not using wingman) and then next turn have everyone 5 straight out of there. Big ships will get stuck in the corner for s few turn usually, giving you time to reform your squad, attack other ships, and get obstacles in your opponent's way.

Remember that while flying in formation is good it does give your opponent a single point of the battlefield to base their maneuvers around. If you have 4 a-wings flying in formation and they are all stressed your opponent knows you have limited options to maneuver and can exploit it. So break up your squadron into pairs throughout the game, with practice you can do this several times a match and keep your opponent off balance by dramatically increasing the number of places your ships can go next turn. Eventually they will make a mistake and misjudge your maneuvers, the key is to be ready to pounce when this happens.

Most matches I play have 0 shooting for the first 6 rounds or so, I deploy so that I can fly around the board for a while forcing my opponent's initial formation to break up and denying them their plan of attack. By plan of attack I mean that most players have about 4 turns planned out at the start of a game, and if you force them to not be able to use that initial plan then they have to think on their feet, thinking on your feet lets you make mistakes and mistakes are what the A-wing is built to exploit. If you can confuse your opponent, having each of your ships flying in and out of a scrum so that there is no "obvious" good move for them to make you have probably won.

I hope that answers your question. Short answer: if you are stressed and do a 5 straight green with each of your ships flying in a slightly different direction then awesome, you've probably gotten away and can come around for another pass. Do this a few times in a row, then switch things up and start doing hard 2 turns instead to clear stress. Then have each ship do a different green manuever. This will confuse the heck out of your opponent and usually lets you spread damage out across your squad. Once they are confused you pounce. It's the only way I've found to take down bro-bots and works vs pretty much everything.

Plenty, the key thing to remember is that with the A-Wing you neither need or want to hug an enemy up close every turn. If you are stressed flee the battlefield and come back around for another pass next turn. A-wings so this better than any other ship in the game, and even the unreasonably fast big ships have a hard time keeping up as long as you force them to turn.

So if you are stressed with an A-wing use your speed to reset the battlefield. Got a ship on your tail near a corner? Turn each A-wing in a different direction (if not using wingman) and then next turn have everyone 5 straight out of there. Big ships will get stuck in the corner for s few turn usually, giving you time to reform your squad, attack other ships, and get obstacles in your opponent's way.

Remember that while flying in formation is good it does give your opponent a single point of the battlefield to base their maneuvers around. If you have 4 a-wings flying in formation and they are all stressed your opponent knows you have limited options to maneuver and can exploit it. So break up your squadron into pairs throughout the game, with practice you can do this several times a match and keep your opponent off balance by dramatically increasing the number of places your ships can go next turn. Eventually they will make a mistake and misjudge your maneuvers, the key is to be ready to pounce when this happens.

Most matches I play have 0 shooting for the first 6 rounds or so, I deploy so that I can fly around the board for a while forcing my opponent's initial formation to break up and denying them their plan of attack. By plan of attack I mean that most players have about 4 turns planned out at the start of a game, and if you force them to not be able to use that initial plan then they have to think on their feet, thinking on your feet lets you make mistakes and mistakes are what the A-wing is built to exploit. If you can confuse your opponent, having each of your ships flying in and out of a scrum so that there is no "obvious" good move for them to make you have probably won.

I hope that answers your question. Short answer: if you are stressed and do a 5 straight green with each of your ships flying in a slightly different direction then awesome, you've probably gotten away and can come around for another pass. Do this a few times in a row, then switch things up and start doing hard 2 turns instead to clear stress. Then have each ship do a different green manuever. This will confuse the heck out of your opponent and usually lets you spread damage out across your squad. Once they are confused you pounce. It's the only way I've found to take down bro-bots and works vs pretty much everything.

To this I would add: don't be afraid of a white maneuver while stressed. If a white move is going to leave you with a shot at your opponent, and leave them without a shot at you, it is the right move. If your opponent always assumes you're going to do a green move when stressed, they can become as predictable as they think you are.

It's one reason I like cards like Wired and Outmaneuver on A-wings. You can still get some dice modification when stressed, and the ships make it easy to meet the conditions of the cards.

I just played vs a 4Y tlt-unhinged build and i lost on points 38-25, losing Tycho because of a bad dial choice and firing Made in China Prockets which refused to hit properly both times.

The Green with thrusters+ wired was awesome, taking loads of shots suffering no damage mostly.

Jake (vi thrusters rockets ptl) did not perform well because i got hit early and that scared me and i ran away for some turns, excluding him from the fight.

Tycho is a problem as he doesn't benefit from thrusters and is very fragile vs this kind of build.

I think it's better to keep him safe for the first turns and use him only when at least one Y has been killed so he can zoom in and deliver a killing blow, then try to keep at r1 from the remaining ships.

Any comment/suggestion?

To this I would add: don't be afraid of a white maneuver while stressed. If a white move is going to leave you with a shot at your opponent, and leave them without a shot at you, it is the right move. If your opponent always assumes you're going to do a green move when stressed, they can become as predictable as they think you are.

It's one reason I like cards like Wired and Outmaneuver on A-wings. You can still get some dice modification when stressed, and the ships make it easy to meet the conditions of the cards.

Thanks for that input!  Its hard to remember that you can run away or break off with an a wing quickly.  I usually find myself trying to just turn tighter than my opponents and circling around the center of the board.

Wookie you make a good point that with wired you will still gain the benefits by doing a white maneuver (since you'll have a stress still).  

Stoneface, sorry I was just wondering what upgrades you used on your 5 GSPs

I ran title, refit, autothrusters and determination. Thrusters kicked in once or twice and determination never. That was the 5th time flying As and the 1st win. Had been flying the top 3 aces. Some of the losses were close but close only works in horseshoes and hand grenades.

I never gave the As much credit until recently. Two attack and 4 hp doesn't make them apparently strong but after reading some of the posts I decided to give them a try. I got into X-wing back in January and my friend and I play every Wednesday. We usually fly something different each time looking for a good squad fit. Had been flying different variations on 3 or 4 Bs until lately. I must have a touch of OCD because I like flying all of one type of ship. Or maybe I'm getting old and it's just easier to remember what I'm flying.

Flying As makes you think more. Fast and maneuverable they have the ability to get you out of trouble if you screwed up. If you're still alive, that is. Probably fly them again Sunday if able. Going to try GSL's list. I've used wingman once or twice before with a shuttle and BSP Tie to good effect. Time to try it on some fighters.

dude, i ran this with AT and cracks hot. give it a try i LOVE it.

Flew As against the 4 Y TLT build Sunday. Lost both games but wasn't using prockets either game. In their defence I'll say I was off my game. Bad calls on anticipating my opponent's moves and making some real bonehead moves of my own. I did manage to kill 2 Ys before dieing. So not a terrible failure.

The R1 donut hole is easy to get to but a bear to remain in. Hopefully Wednesday night is a little different.

I am thinking that at least two As with Prockets is going to be necessary for a tournament list, for those pesky TLT carriers and for the PWT lists, to take down priorty targets quickly. If the A list gets to the end game then there is every chance of winning.

Loving this thread!  

I just got into X-wing this year.  My buddy gifted me a Core set at Christmas and I was instantly hooked.  

I recently bought a 4th Z-95 just to get the 4th Wingman card just so I could fly this list.  I intend to try this 4 Green Squadron list the next time I play rebels against my friends.  I really like the idea that this build can actually clear stress twice per turn, per ship.  And that it essentially turns the A-wings into mini Defenders that can K-turn all day long.

My only notable past experience of playing A-wings was at the Vancouver, WA regionals earlier this year, where I (for some strange reason) decided to bring a list that I had never played before.  It was:

Etahn A'bahtR2-D2 / PTL

Prototype Pilot / Chardaan Refit

Prototype Pilot / Chardaan Refit

Total:99 points

The strategy here is pretty obvious.  Hold Etahn back at a safe distance where he has maximum arc on the enemy, meanwhile, the Prototype pilots race in the take their optimized shots.  I only went 1-4, but I am convinced that, with practice, it could be more effective.  That day, TIE Interceptors were the most common ship.  It was hard to get good shots when the Interceptors were moving after me and could barrel roll.  I learned the hard way that A's cannot engage Interceptors on their territory (by out arc dodging them).  And I wasn't really sure what the answer was until this thread.  The idea is to try using the speed of the A's to make strafing runs.   Genius!

I have had some success playing TIE swarms.  They are typically in a checkered or box formation.  The Finger 4 formation intrigues me as I have never used it.  I look forward to using it with the Greens.   

The new Wired card is also intriguing, but probably not going to try it until FFG includes it in a small ship expansion.  

Anyways, thanks for the ideas GSL.  I hope this thread continues to grow.

In my play testing so far with 4 Green Squadrons I have found they fair well against most lists but have a lot of trouble with high PS aces in phantoms, interceptors, Tie advanceds, and E wings. These ships have the manueverability and in the case of Whisper, Soontir, Vader and Corran, the extra actions to dodge arc and get the As in arc more often then the As can get them in arc. When the As do get them in arc it is extremely difficult to land a hit even with 3 dice at range 1. Fighting these pilots requires lots of flying around and using the obstacles to try and gain an advantage which takes lots of time. Not good in a tournament 75 minute match. The only solution to improve their take down time on arc dodging aces is to drop to test pilots and take proton rockets for that range 1 5 dice hit.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Uumbuku

From personal experience against the high PS arc dodgers (in my case it was Fel, Tetran and Whisper) the Greens are no better than Prototypes. You need numbers to fence in targets and force them to bump in order to stop them taking actions. This is easier to do with five or six ships as opposed to four. Five Prototypes with Proton Rockets for the extra punch would be my list. I once faced Fel, Mauler and Whisper with four Proto's and two Greens with PtL and easily dispatched Mauler and Fel in exchange for a Green and a single Prototype. Whisper then burned through the remaining four ships with ease as I couldn't block her in. This was pre-nerf so I would imagine it might be even more difficult now! 

Well, I got my first match in with this Green Arrow list and I emerged victorious!  My friend was playing Brobots with IG-88C&D.  I think he was going for maximum maneuverability.  Each one had VI, HLC, and a Seismic Charge, along with a few other cards.  I realized that I only have 2 hull upgrades, so I played Stealth Device on 2 of my A's.  

I set up centered in the arrow formation.  I feel like I screwed up the asteroid deployment.  There wasn't a good lane to charge down.  I was able to maintain formation for the first 4 turns or so, but then it started getting broken up.  Despite this, it was fairly easy to stay in range one to make Wingman work almost every turn.  I forgot about the seismic charges; he got me with both of them doing 5 damage total, but he also got himself with the second seismic charge for 1 damage.  He destroyed one of my A's, then I destroyed one of his ships, then I finished him off with my three remaining A's.  One of the A's was even still at full health.  I think the reason I won was due to above average dice rolls.  One of his ships had Sensor Jammer which made it extremely hard to land a hit.  This really highlighted one of the weaknesses of the A-wing for me: it's 2 dice attack.  I feel like it really forces you to close the gap and go for range 1 shots.  Luckily, with Wingman and the A's awesome dial, this was doable.  Since the Aggressors are a large base ship and do not have barrel roll, they have difficulty out arc-dodging A-wings.  

Another thing I like about this list is that all the ships are identical.  This allows you to use any of them for any role you might need.   Any of them can be the "attacker" and If you need to block something, any of them can do it.    Also, you can choose the order of movement.   

All in all, it was a fun list that I look forward to running again.

Edited by Meadbeard