Green Squad Leader

"Green Arrow" list

Hi, new to the board and only two months to the game. I am currently building my fleet, concentrating on Rebel and Imperial squads. Using a squad builder app on my tablet I have been building squads and a four green squadron A wing list was one of my first. It has evolved into this now:

Green 1 A wing test pilot, veteran instincts, expert handling, autothrusters, proton rockets

Green 2 identical to 1

Green 3 A wing test pilot, wingman, expert handling, autothrusters, chardaan refit

Green 4 identical to 3

Now I am rethinking using the autothrusters after reading this thread. The concept was to fly in a swarm formation for initial attack then break into pairs 1-3 and 2-4. Maneuver to allow 1 and 2 to fire their proton rockets before any ship losses and then close dogfight with blocking using expert handling and wingman to remove stress. It now is aparent to me that autothrusters is a waste if I am planning to get in close and use small maneuvers to block opponents.

I haven't run the list as yet. I am two A wings short and a few upgrades as well. Great thread with lots of good ideas for A wing lists. Any comments appreciated.

So I would recommend against ever taking veterans instincts on any pilot with a PS below 6, you will see almost 0 benefit. Better 1 point options for A-wings are calculation, lightning reflexes, or adrenalin rush.

I would also recommend against expert handling. A-wings need tokens to stay alive and EH doesn't give you enough benefit for its drawbacks. Try push the limit and you will see what I mean. Otherwise give it a go!

What do you A pilots think of this new TLT mayhem?

Those filthy turrets can ruin an A game chewing through our precious tokens, so I found that the tactict that works better for me is slapping Autothrusters on my ships, try to soften them at range 3 and then close in range one to Procket them with my higher Ps aces.

That's why I'm thinking of swapping Stealth device for AT on my Jake, but I still have to face a real TLT spamming list.

Unfortunately Psycho Tycho classic build can't take AT so I must rely on his unpredictable moves to get R1 asap and hopefully kill my opponent or be sure to keep him close.

What's your opinion? What your experience?

So far I've found that you need to do two things to beat a TLT spam list:

1. Delay the fight until you opponent must break his formation up by maneuvering around obstacles or to stay on the table.

2. Get into range 1.

Doing either helps. I've not had much of an issue killing TLT lists myself so far, there is a card coming soon that will be our answer to TLT though. That Card is called "Wired"

Wired is an EPT coming with the new core set which costs 1 point and reads: "When attacking or defending if you are stressed you may reroll 1 OR MORE of your focus results."

Wired is a game changer for us. A-wings are the only ship in the game which can take this card and push the limit, and it's the only ship that can take it without it reliably being a liability. Here is a build I will be trying out:

Green Squadron Pilot:

Chadraan refit

Push the limit

Wired

A-wing test pilot

Autothrusters

This build is only 23 points. You will be stressed EVERY turn from push with a focus and evade token, and you reroll your focuses, and you convert one blank evade with Autothrusters. You can reliably roll 3 evades EVERY ROLL with this build. And it's only 23 points!!!

Here are two builds to try with this card:

Jake Farrel: 28

Tracer Missile

Push the limit

Wired

A-wing test pilot

Autothrusters

Green Squadron Pilot: 23

Chadraan refit

Push the limit

Wired

A-wing test pilot

Autothrusters

Chadraan refit

Push the limit

Wired

A-wing test pilot

Autothrusters

Chadraan refit

Push the limit

Wired

A-wing test pilot

Autothrusters

You have so many rerolls with this list it's silly. Here is another one, probably better:

Tycho celchu: 30

Chadraan refit

Push the limit

Wired

A-wing test pilot

Autothrusters

Chadraan refit

Push the limit

Wired

A-wing test pilot

Autothrusters

Chadraan refit

Push the limit

Wired

A-wing test pilot

Autothrusters

Chadraan refit

Push the limit

Wired

A-wing test pilot

Autothrusters

This one uses wired with tycho's innate awesomeness for crazy combos.

The great thing about this card is that I think it may actually make 3 a-wing lists viable. Check this out.

Tycho Celchu: 36

Cluster Missiles

Push the limit

Wired

A-wing test pilot

Autothrusters

Jake Farrel: 34

Cluster Missiles

Push the limit

Wired

A-wing test pilot

Autothrusters

Green Squadron Pilot: 29

Cluster Missiles

Push the limit

Wired

A-wing test pilot

Autothrusters

So you get to reroll your focuses for both cluster missile attacks with all three ships, and reroll your focuses to evade. This actually could be viable despite being a 3 ship list with all a-wings, I want to try it out personally and see if it works as well as I think it will.

So yeah, the answer to TLT spam will be push and wired on A-wings, nuff said.

Edited by Green Squad Leader

http://m.imgur.com/a/TNJiY#

Full spoilers of the new core set. I really like the changes to the damage deck, I'm curious if they have done away with munitions failure completely.

It could be that they will make this the new tournament legal damage deck or we may see some sort of a hybrid. That will be interesting.

So I would recommend against ever taking veterans instincts on any pilot with a PS below 6, you will see almost 0 benefit. Better 1 point options for A-wings are calculation, lightning reflexes, or adrenalin rush.

I would also recommend against expert handling. A-wings need tokens to stay alive and EH doesn't give you enough benefit for its drawbacks. Try push the limit and you will see what I mean. Otherwise give it a go!

Thanks for the tips. Not a fan of discarding upgrade cards except for a few ordinance, I prefer my abilities to stick around and work in a synergy if possible.

I will try the squadron with some different configurations.

How about 4 Greens with autothrusters, PTL and Outmaneuver.

Edited by Uumbuku

Ok so I've played one "Wired A's" game, I'm thinking of calling this kind of list a "Caffeine Fiends" list.  Or something cocaine related, any name ideas?

Anyways I played vs 3 Scum Y's with TLT, one was Kavil, I killed 1 in the first exchange and wired gave me an extra hit both times, saving my focus for defense.  Worked VERY well, effectively neutered the TLTs.  I'm torn between autothrusters and Hull upgrade for this list.  Hull gives more staying power, but Thrusters is the more obviously amazing combo.  I realize that I've spoiled myself by using hull upgrade all the time, tycho died to a proximity mine direct hit :(.

Next thing I"m trying is:

Caffeine Fiends (100)

Tycho (36)

Proton Rockets

Push the Limit

Wired

Hull upgrade

A-wing test pilot

Jake Farrel (34)

Proton Rockets

Push the Limit

Wired

Hull upgrade

A-wing test pilot

Green Squadron Pilot (30)

Cluster Missiles

Push the Limit

Wired

Hull upgrade

A-wing test pilot

Personally I think that hull upgrade is still a better choice 90% of the time as it is always useful even vs builds without turrets.

Thanks for the tips. Not a fan of discarding upgrade cards except for a few ordinance, I prefer my abilities to stick around and work in a synergy if possible.

I will try the squadron with some different configurations.

How about 4 Greens with autothrusters, PTL and Outmaneuver.

Yep that is a build which can do a lot of work.  The challenge with it is just getting your ships behind your opponent, so to do that DON'T fly straight at them.  At the start play for time and fly around the sides.  Once you opponent has come to the center split your squad up and hit the flanks.  Takes time to work but when it does Outmaneuver makes 2 damage dice stick a lot.

You can also use outmaneuver to hang back at range 3 for your safety without much downside, as you will cancel the extra green die.

Next thing I"m trying is:

Caffeine Fiends (100)

Tycho (36)

Proton Rockets

Push the Limit

Wired

Hull upgrade

A-wing test pilot

Jake Farrel (34)

Proton Rockets

Push the Limit

Wired

Hull upgrade

A-wing test pilot

Green Squadron Pilot (30)

Cluster Missiles

Push the Limit

Wired

Hull upgrade

A-wing test pilot

Personally I think that hull upgrade is still a better choice 90% of the time as it is always useful even vs builds without turrets.

I'd maybe swap concussion for IPM, so to gain one point for initiative or maybe to give Jake Stealth device

Thank you Cypher, we aren't allowed to have pictures as signatures on this forum.  Facism I say, FACISM!!!

That aside I've now gotten a few games in with Wired.  I can attest that it is pretty good.  So far I've refined the 3 ship list with it to

Caffeine Fiends (99)

Tycho (36)

Proton Rockets

Push the Limit

Wired

Hull upgrade

A-wing test pilot

Jake Farrel (34)

Proton Rockets

Push the Limit

Wired

Hull upgrade

A-wing test pilot

Green Squadron Pilot (29)

Proton Rockets

Push the Limit

Wired

Hull upgrade

A-wing test pilot

I want to try out swapping the Green Squadron Pilot for Gemmer Sojan with the same build (minus wired that's 31 points) and give Jake Autothrusters instead of Hull Upgrade.

Personally I'm still finding Hull upgrade to almost always be better than autothrusters, but with this build Jake so reliably can outflank enemy ships I think he can get by with it.

I also want to try out a 4 A-wing list with Wired.  The two I want to try are:

Jake + 3 Greens; all have push, wired, and chadraan with the Greens having Hull and Jake having Autothrusters.

Tycho+ 3 Greens; all have push, wired, and chadraan with the Greens having Autothrusters and Tycho having Hull.

Jake is a bit better in this list I think, though Tycho does like Wired.  The funny thing with this build for him is that you actually will often be able to de-stress if you choose to (at least early on in the game), so you actually CAN K-turn with Tycho, did it once today and shot prockets in a quick match.

Hopefully the new core set's cards will be uploaded into Vassal soon, though I'm guessing Vassal can't do that until FFG officially announces or some such.

Rerolling a Focus on defense sucks, especially when the initial roll has two or more eyes, or if you're facing 2 attacks that round. I'm always much better off just using the Focus to turn them into Evades. But at PS3, our Greens are usually going to be defending first, shooting last. If you spend the Focus defending, you won't have it for rerolls on offense.

Wired really pays off when you are being attacked multiple times in a round and have Evade and/or Focus tokens to supplement it and your Green Squads will almost always want to use their focus tokens on Defense since Wired is as good as a Target Lock offensively (assuming you don't have a focus to backup the Target Lock).

Rerolling a Focus on defense sucks, especially when the initial roll has two or more eyes, or if you're facing 2 attacks that round. I'm always much better off just using the Focus to turn them into Evades. But at PS3, our Greens are usually going to be defending first, shooting last. If you spend the Focus defending, you won't have it for rerolls on offense.

Wired really pays off when you are being attacked multiple times in a round and have Evade and/or Focus tokens to supplement it and your Green Squads will almost always want to use their focus tokens on Defense since Wired is as good as a Target Lock offensively (assuming you don't have a focus to backup the Target Lock).

Oops, yeah, never mind my post. I was confusing and mixing together Wired with Poe Dameron's ability. I need caffeine.

After Wired was leaked, I switched up my standard "Polearm Squadron" from Calculation to Wired.

Jake Farrell + A-Wing Test Pilot + Autothrusters + Chardaan Refit + Wired + Push the Limit (28)
Gemmer Sojan + A-Wing Test Pilot + Autothrusters + Chardaan Refit + Push the Limit (25)
Green Squadron + A-Wing Test Pilot + Autothrusters + Chardaan Refit + Wired + Push the Limit (23)
Green Squadron + A-Wing Test Pilot + Autothrusters + Chardaan Refit + Wired + Push the Limit (23)
99 pts

The difference is quite noticeable. My offensive power has dropped, but the survivability of the three A-wings has markedly increased (Gemmer has always been the last to die, anyway). I have played three games with this set up: TIE Swarm, double Falcons, and Whisper/Chirpy. All three times I've won on points. I must now cross my fingers that we get two copies of Wired per box, otherwise I'm going to be very broke buying three new boxes.

Yesterday I had on awesome game on Vassal vs plu042 fielding Vader (tile-ATC-Engine-VI), Fell (AT-Stealth-title-PTL), OGP (Palpatine).

It went to time with just Vader (1 hull left - 35 points) and Jake (2 hulls left - 34 points) on the board, seeing me loosing by 1 point. In the midgame, I made a mistake with Tycho so he died without the opportunity of firing Prockets.

Although, Palpatine saved his life many and many times and I  managed to take him off only at the end, se he really really paid his cost back. 

Jake is a mighty Soontir hunter, unfortunately Vader had VI so was a constant threat to him.

I lost, but it saw a real close and breathtaking game so I'm really happy with it. Thanks plu042!

------

Then I just ended my 1st game vs MiranDash build (Superdash + Miranda (R2-D2 + TLT + ADv. Slam) flown by AdmiralCrackbar, a nice Australian guy. I had initiative because I lost the initiative roll. 

I was really scared of this game, but I took an early TL with Green on Dash which scared him and kept him away for a while while I got some good shots on Miranda, then in the end I could put a couple of Prockets shots on Dash (one on those rolling only 2 hits... made in China maybe?) while Miranda flew the battlefield with 4 hulls left trying to escape from Jake's chase.

At this point I got some easy R1 shots on Dash from Tycho and Jake as he could hardly escape the quick As.

Ended with Jake at just 1 hull left, Tycho full of health, Green lost 1 shield to Dash's HLC. 

Afterthoughts:

-I'd take AT instead of Steath on Jake vs a turret build and I'm guessing there'll be plenty of heavy turretted build in the incoming days, still stealth is a nice all-around upgrade.

- IPM on Green, even if you don't fire them, are a sufficient threat to scare some enemy ships and give you some tactical edge. 

Thanks AdmiralCrackbar!

Edited by LouisCypher

After Wired was leaked, I switched up my standard "Polearm Squadron" from Calculation to Wired.

Jake Farrell + A-Wing Test Pilot + Autothrusters + Chardaan Refit + Wired + Push the Limit (28)

Gemmer Sojan + A-Wing Test Pilot + Autothrusters + Chardaan Refit + Push the Limit (25)

99 pts

The difference is quite noticeable. My offensive power has dropped, but the survivability of the three A-wings has markedly increased (Gemmer has always been the last to die, anyway). I have played three games with this set up: TIE Swarm, double Falcons, and Whisper/Chirpy. All three times I've won on points. I must now cross my fingers that we get two copies of Wired per box, otherwise I'm going to be very broke buying three new boxes.

Is Gemmer that much better than a GSP in these builds?

Do you think Wired is better on Tycho than DareDevil, EI and PTL? With prockets he's 38 pts. And a beast. I can see Wired on the Greens but I think I like the Psycho version of Tycho better.

So having tried both in the past I think that wired is great on tycho if you don't mind him moving like a regular a-wing, it makes him much harder to kill than the psycho tycho build. BUT psycho tycho is great and very powerful on its own, so if you have the three extra points to spare I'd say go psycho.

Hi, guys. First post, and I couldn't have found a better thread to get started with. :D

I really like how actual fighter formations have been beneficial to you guys. I'm a history fanatic, so seeing some of you use a historically significant book to up your game is thrilling. I'd been thinking about if it was possible to translate actual aerial maneuvers into X-Wing, I'll definitely take a look at some of Zemke's work, since you've seemed to have some success with it.

Also, I'm really liking how Green Squad Leader is taking a much different approach to flying his A-Wings. Usually, you see an A-Wing, and you can expect flanking maneuvers and arc dodging the whole game. This is a refreshing change that I'd enjoy playing with and against... Just don't own a single A-Wing at the moment, so that's a problem. I'm primarily an Imperial player who runs Interceptors, so I might play with a similar build to mix things up a bit. Soontir Fel and Carnor Jax make my friends rage. :lol: Green Arrow seems a bit like how I've been running a three X-Wing group pet project built around Wes and Opportunist. I fly them in an arrowhead formation, strip beneficial tokens with Wes, then Opportunist Wedge reduces the target's agility so he can consistently throw 4 - 5 red dice against two or less evade. Rinse and repeat with the next Opportunist pilot (currently Luke, still playing around for optimization). My problem, and I know it's from lack of knowledge and practice, is returning to formation once I break after the initial attack run. I think the advice I've seen here will definitely benefit my game, so thanks, guys.

Is Gemmer that much better than a GSP in these builds?

He definitely Canby, it's really a matter of how you decide to use him. If you do get him within range one of your opponents ships then yes I would say He is.

Gemmer is my danger target. Opponents are forced to either waste dice trying to shoot a 4-green A-wing that's blasting them with 3 dice at range 1, or attack a GSP at range 2 or more, whose Autothrusters make it that much harder to turrets to hit. It also breaks up my list from too much spam, as I like a few variations in my meal (sorry it's nearly lunchtime and I'm really hungry)

This topic gives me hope for the poor neglected A-Wing ! 

It's for sure a surprise to put so many on the table, I love that :D I'm gonna try an A-Wing list soon I think.

As a confirmed A-Wing addict (looking to someday becoming an 'ace'!) and having just come back to the forums after a little 'lay off' I'm so happy to see some great A-Wing threads! I've played A-Wing swarms before and I'm now looking to step up to an A-Wing aces list and this thread is really inspiring.

GSP, I may have missed it but do you know how many copies of 'Wired' come with each new starter set? 

Edited by HoundsTooth